Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:45:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How do you use your casualty figures?  (Read 3037 times)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
How do you use your casualty figures?
« on: June 03, 2009, 07:58:18 PM »
I have a few of these and wonder how they can be best used. On a multibase together with "live" figures? On separate bases? As part of a terrain feature?

Grateful for any advice!

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
Re: How do you use your casualty figures?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 08:13:57 PM »
Hi Traveller,

in our Disposable Heroes games, we use "enemy" casualty figures to mark squads that have already been activated and "friendly" casualties to indicate suppression, etc.

Hope this helps.

Marco

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 08:25:46 PM »
Hi Traveller,

in our Disposable Heroes games, we use "enemy" casualty figures to mark squads that have already been activated and "friendly" casualties to indicate suppression, etc.

Hope this helps.

Marco

Yes, I use them as suppression markers. Them and vultures, ravens, carcasses etc.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 09:30:39 PM »
We tend to use them as morale indicators - singles work best, some games get quite a few casualties in use.

WWII we play in 15mm at company level, and its not unusual to see a dozen casualty markers per side.
We also use wrecked vehicles, these act as wrecks but also provide morale checks for transport/armoured support.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 09:39:56 PM »
We usually use our casualties when the mini that died might have something that would want to be pilfered like secret documents, keys to the Nazi UFO or the Spear of Destiny on their person.  We also use them as wounded that are combat ineffective but still alive so your medics and surrounding troops need to rescue them and give aid.

So we base them individually so they can placed wherever they are needed.

Brian
Keep it WEIRD!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 07:12:26 AM »
I vaguely recall a set of rules where any figure that gets hit is marked as a casualty but left in situ.
It was a squad based game, the squad can either ignore the hit and carry on without him (still leaving him in situ) or on their next activation can use an action to check his status, giving one of three results:
dead - figure removed
wounded - figure stays in situ but needs either protecting from the opposition or evacuation
stunned/flesh wound - figure revived and returns to action next turn

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 07:21:00 AM »
Fastolfrus, that sounds like how Stargrunt II (sci-fi platoon level ground combat) handles casualties.

Treatment and (if possible) evac or at least proper handling of casualties is a significant part of the morale rules in SG2, and the morale rules are the major part of the game, really. Shiniest gun in the known universe isn't worth much in the hands of someone too scared to use it...

Unfortunately, too many of my usual gaming group are of the 'remove the figure from the board and forget it exists' school of wargaming (see also all GW games, where it seems the officers and heavy weapon troopers are, amazingly, ALWAYS the last to die...) so when we played SG2 the casualty rules were mostly ignored as slowing the game down.

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 07:26:02 AM »
as suppression markers in TaT .
We use stones a singel suppression markers, that means every 5 makers make a figure suppression marker.
also in the same way like Kampfgruppe Cottrell .

Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 04:43:25 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience. I will use some of those ideas. I base my skirmishfigures as singles on washers and three on Litko round plywoodbases. I think I will do some of the latter with 2 live + 1 casualty. Hopefully it will entive the living to fight harder  8)

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 08:27:32 PM »
We usually use our casualties when the mini that died might have something that would want to be pilfered like secret documents, keys to the Nazi UFO or the Spear of Destiny on their person.  We also use them as wounded that are combat ineffective but still alive so your medics and surrounding troops need to rescue them and give aid.

More or less, the same way I'd use mine. If there are few miniatures for the game then they are used to represent where everyone died.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
Many years ago I was fortunate enough to play regularly with a very dedicated group of gamers, including a pair of very famous figure designers, and even for very large games with many figures there was a painted figure for every casualty.

Sheer bliss and an amazing spectacle but unfortunately beyond most of us.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"