Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:37:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686644
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: advice on 15mm Zulu War figures  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Silent bob

• Scientist
advice on 15mm Zulu War figures
« on: December 28, 2018, 06:53:45 PM »
Hi,

This has probably been asked before but what do people thing is the best range between Blue Moon and Essex (in 15mm).

I have not bought and 15mm figures for around 20 years but am thinking about getting a ZW set up for me & my son.

Both ranges are incomplete but I can get round that and I don't like mixing figures.

There seems more variety in the BM packs but individually the Essex look cleaner castings.

The rules I am thinking about using are fairly large scale - with 4 British infantry/3 cavalry on one base representing a company/squadron, so maybe variety is not the issue for the set up.

Obviously I know they are not 28mm castings but the photos of the BM figures, on their website look a little 'rough'

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: advice on 15mm Zulu War figures
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 08:49:15 PM »
My 15mm Zulu collection is rather old, and when I did mine Blue Moon did not exist.  Most of my figures are Old Glory 15s with some Essex and Minifig included.  I'm happy with what I have, but I am sure that if I were just starting I would go with Blue Moon.  My basis for saying that is that I have been very happy with the Blue Moon FIW and Boxer Rebellion figures I have purchased.  I'm currently in the process of painting my Boxer Rebellion collection (largely composed of Blue Moon), and I have completed a large FIW collection which is also largely composed of Blue Moon.  You can see my Zulu collection and my FIW collection in diorama form on my vanity website.  You can also see the Blue Moon Boxer Rebellion figures I am currently working on by clicking on my Weekly Workbench on that same site.  To view the Zulu (not Blue Moon) and FIW (largely Blue Moon) scroll down and click on the appropriate picture on my website... also identified by name.  To see my Blue Moon Boxer Rebellion WIP click on Weekly Workbench at the top of my website page... both the Weekly Workbench and dioramas are located at www.warin15mm.com

Offline Silent bob

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 09:26:32 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the advice - the Boxer Rebellion (or at least part of it) was something I have thought of (I have a 28mm Rorke's Drift set up to get my ZW fix) and must admit your Great Powers figures look good painted up.

I did also consider a Rodgers Rangers type collection as well

It is probably just some of the BM Zulu War photos that put me off a bit.

I may have to get my ass to a Wargames Convention early next year and try to see some in the flesh/lead

Thanks a lot

Simon

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 01:43:20 AM »
And as a counter argument, if you like the regimented look, Essex isn't a bad way to go.  They are easy to paint, for sure.  My challenge would be why Zulu War but that's a matter of personal taste, love the uniform of the 24th, not the nature of the conflict.  Have fun whichever way you jump.

Offline jazbo

• Librarian
    • My GNW Project Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 09:20:10 PM »
The problem you have is that Essex are very much 15mm, while blue moon are very much 18mm, often 20mm tall.

So blue moon are incompatible with true 15mm figures.

Also, Essex zulus have separate shields. That can be incredibly tedious to deal with when attaching them.
My Great Norther War Project Blog: GNW Gaming

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 02:23:17 AM »
Have you considered Gallia and Naismith Designs figures? True 15mm figures.
Hail to the King, baby.

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 04:14:58 AM »
Apologies for chiming in so late  :)

My first 15mm Zulus were from Minifigs as they were the only ones available to me at the time and whilst I liked the idea that individual Zulu regiments were represented with all their finery, there was only one pose per individual code. Owning a copy of Osprey book, The Zulu War (Men at Arms Series, 57), by Angus McBride was very helpful when it came to painting these chaps.

Like War In 15MM, the bulk of my collection is made up primarily from Essex Miniatures with the odd Old Glory 15s, Minifig and Irregular Miniatures miniature's thrown in, especially where character models or the odd troop type are concerned. For example, Minfigs make u Dibi Boy Porters.
I have found that for the most part, they mix in quite well

Again, like War In 15mm Blue Moon weren't available when I started my collection. I have the BM 18mm Sleepy Hollow pack and the miniatures look much nicer in the hand and I will be investigating other ranges by them.   

I quite like Old Glory Miniatures range, but like Essex's and Blue Moon's Zulus, they need to have shields glued on which can be a pain.

Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/