Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:48:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fort Assault - Take One  (Read 1746 times)

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Fort Assault - Take One
« on: December 30, 2018, 05:26:43 AM »
Hello All,

Saxon rebels lead by Earl Pearson attempted to seize, by assault, the Norman fort that oppresses the local population. It was a bloody affair that ended badly for Saxon rebels. 

The rebels gather while the Norman milites are away.

Using modified Dragon Rampant rules, we got to try out the new terrain.  It feels great when all the minis and terrain finally come together. 

Earl Pearson attempted to use his archers to suppress the crossbowmen on the front battlement.  But they were too timid and the cover limited losses.  The foot had to go in. 

The first unit of Saxon Thegns got pin-cushioned by the crossbows.  One unit of Fyrd attempted to storm the western wall only get slaughtered by the defenders.  Still, there enough impetus in the Saxon attack to make it to the gate and start pounding on its wooden structure. 

The Saxons burst open the gate and flooded into the courtyard.  What followed was a scene straight from Hollywood.  The attack stalled under the reign of death from the crossbows and the bowmen on the tower.

Through repeated attacks, the Saxons managed to maul the crossbowmen and the light infantry on the eastern wall, but the losses were too great.  The high round proved too much for the attackers [Insert Obi-Wan Meme here].

Suddenly from the rear the sounds of war horns could be heard.  The Norman milites were returning. Earl Pearson called a retreat and fled into the nearby woods. 

The game was great fun to run with castle storming jokes running rampant (pun intended).  I wanted to make the Fort a tough nut and it was.  I will provide the Saxons with more offensive power on the next attempt.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 06:31:14 AM by LouieN »

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
Re: Fort Assault - Take One
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 02:37:09 AM »
This one of the exact scenarios I want to run when I finish my Norman fort. Looks great!. Why the choice of Dragon Rampant for rules instead of SAGA or Lion Rampant? just curious.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 08:52:09 AM »
A fun looking game - and getting the balance is sometimes hard, so well done.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 06:28:00 PM »
racm32,

Sorry for the delay on answering your question, in terms of Dragon Rampant vs Lion Rampant.  DR has more options for the units that I wanted.  It is easier to tailor them to the function I want. 

For example, my Norman Warlord unit can be made Elite Riders and with the discipline upgrade they can actually ride to the rescue of the fort.  In LR the Elite knights are very much a reactionary unit with their high activation roll required for simply moving.  It fits the era of Lion rampant but not what I wanted for my Dark age horse.

Thanks

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 10:54:58 PM »
Thank you for the insight. I have lion rampant was wandering how they would work for Dark Ages since that's my collection.