Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:13:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690678
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: which paint is "best"  (Read 2187 times)

Offline casual tea

• Bookworm
    • instagram.com/dlyanf
Re: which paint is "best"
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 08:27:03 AM »
It really depends on what your goals as a painter are and what you find easy to work with. What a competition painter requires from their paints is not the same as a sci-fi wargamer's needs. I like to work on a wet palette, mix a lot of colors, and do a lot of thinning and glazing. Personally I use Golden artist acrylics extensively, with select colors from other ranges like Vallejo and Secret Weapon. I have some GW and P3 as well, and I generally like them, but I tend to not buy them because they come in those nonsensical little pots.

If I had a friend who was just getting into the hobby and asked what paints to get, I'd tell them to get Vallejo Model Color without hesitation. They're opaque, matte, can be used for glazes, don't spill all over your desk if you knock them over, and have the biggest selection of colors available.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 11:22:50 AM »
Has anyone made use of Green Stuff World paints? I browsed their paint catalog the other day  but did not really get a feel for the product other than  that they offer quite a lot of technical paints. That's all well and fine, but one really wants to know if their base paint asre of good quality.

Offline casual tea

• Bookworm
    • instagram.com/dlyanf
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 08:11:17 AM »
Has anyone made use of Green Stuff World paints? I browsed their paint catalog the other day  but did not really get a feel for the product other than  that they offer quite a lot of technical paints. That's all well and fine, but one really wants to know if their base paint asre of good quality.

Looks like for standard acrylic colors they stock Scale75 paints, which are by all accounts I've read very good. They use a gel medium and are a bit thicker like a syrup than other brands of paints.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 08:22:05 AM »
They use a gel medium and are a bit thicker like a syrup than other brands of paints.

I read. I am not sure I'd like that.