Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:45:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sci-Fi cargo containers from Coke bottel caps.  (Read 12407 times)

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
Sci-Fi cargo containers from Coke bottel caps.
« on: June 04, 2009, 05:00:32 PM »
My wife came home from work with a whole bunch of coke bottle caps last night to enter some codes on them for some on-line contest.  Then she asked me if I thought I could make some terrain out of them.  These caps were a little different than I'd seen before.  I took two of them and put them together and they made an interesting barrel shape so I thought they might make good sci-fi cargo containers. 

The caps.

The caps glued together into containers.  Also made three with regular 2 liter bottle caps. 

Some Void minis among the caps to show scale. 

Next up will be painting them. 

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Re: Sci-Fi cargo containers from Coke bottel caps.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 05:10:08 PM »
That's ingenuous!

What also works is taking an old computer keyboard and gluing two of the keys together. They make good sci fi crates.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 05:10:58 PM »
simple but, effective.

:)

Offline duhamel

• Mastermind
  • voyageur
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 05:37:37 PM »
It is a great idea these containers, but what it is necessary to drink as soft drink!!! lol lol lol lol
“Le courage consiste à avoir peur mais à continuer tout de même.”

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" The courage consists in being afraid but in continuing all the same. \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 05:50:28 PM »
My wife came home from work with a whole bunch of coke bottle caps last night to enter some codes on them for some on-line contest.  Then she asked me if I thought I could make some terrain out of them.  These caps were a little different than I'd seen before.  I took two of them and put them together and they made an interesting barrel shape so I thought they might make good sci-fi cargo containers.  Next up will be painting them. 

Your wife actually volunteered to let you keep crap to make terrain with? You lucky sod. Nice idea with the caps tohugh.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 06:13:06 PM »
My wife came home from work with a whole bunch of coke bottle caps last night to enter some codes on them for some on-line contest.  Then she asked me if I thought I could make some terrain out of them.  These caps were a little different than I'd seen before.  I took two of them and put them together and they made an interesting barrel shape so I thought they might make good sci-fi cargo containers.  Next up will be painting them. 

Your wife actually volunteered to let you keep crap to make terrain with? You lucky sod. Nice idea with the caps tohugh.

Oh no it's much better than that.  My wife is a gamer, mini painter, terrain maker, herself.  lol

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 07:39:07 PM »
A couple more WIP pics

base cote.  I just went with a olive green because that's what I had.  Thought it gave them a kind of military supply look. 

a bit of drybrushing. 

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 07:44:24 PM »
Can't believe I never thought of that! Then again the only soda pop I drink in bottles are in glass ones. Good pull, those look excellent.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 08:06:39 PM »
That's ingenuous!

What also works is taking an old computer keyboard and gluing two of the keys together. They make good sci fi crates.

Both excellent ideas!

With a 9 year old son, coke bottle tops are never in short supply and luckily I've got two knackered keyboards in the loft.
All I have to do now is find them  :(

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
  • One in the Eye for the little yellow god
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 08:16:22 PM »

Oh no it's much better than that.  My wife is a gamer, mini painter, terrain maker, herself.  lol

Good Lord! A rare combination -  congratulations
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 08:19:45 PM »
This site http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/infinity_miniaturas/signals_n_panels.pdf has some great hazard signs set up just for detailing terrain.  Make sure you check out the guy's main site.  http://www.toposolitario.com/principal/index.html  He has some great terrain projects and amazing 28mm card models for free.  

Here are the containers with some hazard signs.  Looking more the part I think.  

I put a light wash on them.  It's drying at the moment.  

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 08:20:38 PM »

I hate you.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 09:17:53 PM by Onebigriver »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 08:32:56 PM »
Ironworker, thanks for the links. Sadly I can't get the pdf to open from your link, but I'll try direct from the site.

Those vehicles are superb- just what I've been after for my future wars Police force  ;D

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 11:30:54 PM »

How on earth did you manage that? She must be like the holy grail of the wargaming world!