Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:42:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689475
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hand Gunners in the HYW?  (Read 1410 times)

Offline CaptainBigglesmay

• Assistant
  • Aucto Splendore Resurgo
    • My Photo bucket
Hand Gunners in the HYW?
« on: March 12, 2019, 09:25:43 PM »
Hello,

Bit of a picking of brains, but when is the first recorded use of an English Army using Handgunners in the HYW? And did they see any use in battles in England/wider UK?

Looking around 1403 really, for reasons..

Many thanks.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Hand Gunners in the HYW?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 12:42:13 PM »
I think both sides had handgonnes during the siege of Orleans in 1428. I don't recall anything earlier.

The English were reported to have had small bombards or ribauldequin at Crecy 1346.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 12:46:14 PM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 04:42:19 PM »
If rpm memory, there are records of small bore artillery being kept in the Royal Armouries at the end of the 14th century. Think numbers are very small and so their appearance on the battlefield are likely to be rare. See Thom Richardson book on Royal Armouries in 14th century.
I also assume that gunpowder weapons are too expensive for private purchase and use?
The same records don’t exist for most of 15th century. I will check Grummits book on Calais Garrison in 15th Century for any reference as this maybe indicative?
I think if you’re doing a large force/battle then they may not be numerous enough to form a dustinct unit. If a seige then they maybe more likely to be there?
Hope that helps?
Cheers Simon

Offline CaptainBigglesmay

• Assistant
  • Aucto Splendore Resurgo
    • My Photo bucket
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 06:55:52 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I've seen a few references to Handgunners in the Black Prince's army at Crecy but as you say, probably no more than a few hundred. There's account of ball moulds for shipment to France to join Edward's army

Hand cannon being fired from a stand, Bellifortis, manuscript, by Konrad Kyeser, 1400

Is an image i'm going off too, more a fixed piece but if thats around then what else was?

Two Swiss hand cannons and the "Tiber" gun, late 1300's (Historisches Museum, Bern)

If the Swiss are playing around with these in let's say 1375-90's, what chance a few figures on a 1403 Wargames table set in the UK?

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 08:54:07 AM »
In 28mm there are these from Perry. They are based on the manuscript of Konrad Kyeser.

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_36&products_id=1477&osCsid=d4he9eb9vab4p44nrgmj2stsi3 :'(

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 09:10:14 AM »
I cannot find it right now. But there is a written source that tells of how the Danish king sends a gift of sulphur for making black powder to Henry V before the campaign that leads to Agincourt.