Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:19:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689682
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Space Marine Beakies, lots of pics! NEW! Assault Squad on page 1  (Read 16697 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Re: Space Marine Beakies, lots of pics!
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 04:35:22 AM »
The toothbrush-spatter urban camo looks great - shall have to remember that idea if/when we get back into sci-fi gaming!

Hmm... there's a copy of the Rouge Trader rulebook at one of the (many) local used bookstores. (c)1990, I think it was.

Assuming the used bookstore doesn't want stupid $$$ for it, would it be worth picking up to flip here on LAF to one of you? How rare is the RT book, anyway?

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 07:14:33 AM »
The RT rulebook is in my opinion the best version of 40K; I think there's still a demand for the rulebook, though I've not looked too much as I still have my original copy.

Those beakies certainly bring back lots of memories, I wish I'd bought some while I'd had the chance. The only original marine I've got is a medic model.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 08:47:24 AM »
I flicked through the rulebook and add'ons a couple of times and I must say I was baffled by the amount of rules in them...  o_o

There are MANY ideas in the book, and it's clear that GW has used it as point of return through the years since, but still - It seems to me that a game of Rogue Trader will be really heavy on rules bogging... lest of course you skip half of them, in which case you might as well use something else.  ;)
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 10:02:06 AM »
...the Rouge Trader rulebook ....

Sorry, I know it's an easy typo to make and I'm often guilty of similar errors, but that had me in tears imagining bizarre SciFi scenarios involving piratical cross-dressers raiding spaceborne theatrical suppliers  lol

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 10:36:03 AM »
Over the years I've noticed that 'Rouge Trader' seems to be the most frequently occurring gamer typo - It's been in Harbinger magazine, every gaming e-zine ever, on the boards... it ma be only me that's noticed it though, and chuckled at the idea that in the grim darkness of the forty-first millenium, there is only makeup trading...

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 11:41:48 AM »
I flicked through the rulebook and add'ons a couple of times and I must say I was baffled by the amount of rules in them...  o_o

There are MANY ideas in the book, and it's clear that GW has used it as point of return through the years since, but still - It seems to me that a game of Rogue Trader will be really heavy on rules bogging... lest of course you skip half of them, in which case you might as well use something else.  ;)

The RT rulebook does have many rules, though the core rules are quite basic, what the RT book covers is a lot of creatures and equipment, which you don't need or even want for most games. The Add-ons (Compendium and Companion being the two main examples) are just optional rules and army lists. All the optional rules made it so adaptable, which the later versions of 40k have unfortunately lost, in the ever increasing move towards tournament play and effective and min/maxed army lists.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2009, 08:49:47 PM »
Hmm... there's a copy of the Rouge Trader rulebook at one of the (many) local used bookstores. (c)1990, I think it was.

Assuming the used bookstore doesn't want stupid $$$ for it, would it be worth picking up to flip here on LAF to one of you? How rare is the RT book, anyway?

I would be interested in it.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 10:40:06 AM »
The toothbrush-spatter urban camo looks great - shall have to remember that idea if/when we get back into sci-fi gaming!

The book isn't very rare so I wouldn't pay insane amounts for it. It goes on eBay for anything between 7-20 quid. For a regular worn copy something around 10-15 quid would be good, 25 quid (the current offers on eBay) for a worn copy is too much. For a very good condition copy, well, you'd need a collector willing to pay more.

Amazon has two copies for under 5 quid:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1869893239/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1244453250&sr=8-1&condition=used

A common problem is loose pages, it may be worth trying to find one with no losse pages, but in time it will probably suffer the same fate anyway.

Gluteus Maximus> I like the camo as well as it makes them believable as futuristic soldiers. On the table though bright colours look far more interesting. That's why I like having both.

I really like flipping through the book as well and in the past I wanted to play it, but now we just settled on playing 2nd edition 40k instead.

Thorbjørn> Painting the genestealers was very simple:
1. fill eyes with VMC Plastic Putty/Modelling putty
2. undercoat black
3. drybrush the whole model in a mix of black and VGC Earth (= GW Graveyard Earth)
4. drybrush the whole model in VGC Earth
5. drybrush fleshy bits (back, normal hands) in P3 Ironhull Grey (somewhat darker than Codex Grey)
6. paint big claws black and paint nails and teeth silver
7. paint tongue a fleshy colour (I think I used bronzed flesh or elf flesh)
8. gloss varnish
9. paint base after the gloss so you don't have to matte it again
10. add slime, I used old, very thick Citadel Gloss Varnish from a pot, you can skip this step if you want.

Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 11:35:43 AM »
Some more pics of my assault marines from round 6:

They are called "The Wrecking Crew" because they all have power fists. The models are plastic beakies and the jump packs are from maxmini.eu. I plan to make five more with power swords but I'm not sure if I should paint them up as camo marines (making a full squad) or as Field Police (making them look a bit cooler but not allowing for a very good mix). Eventually I also plan to paint up a squad in green/white but these will be metal models with original RT jump packs.

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
Re: Space Marine Beakies, lots of pics! NEW! Assault Squad on page 1
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 02:54:14 PM »
Hallo, I wanted to revive this thread, I need to see the new jump pack marines, did you paint them up as field police?

Is there any special rules for field police except that they have the black/yellow stripe on their head?

I am thinking of painting up a squad of field police for my RT Blood Angels, as they did not really have the yellow helmets of assault marines in RT????

Here is a pic of my first 5 RT marines, for my "new" army.

Offline cerealkiller195

• Assistant
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 04:09:30 PM »
nicely done models can't wait to see more.

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2009, 04:16:45 PM »
Nice marines, Jonas :)  They look nicely RT era!

Don't think the field police has special rules, though, but I think they were the precursor to chaplains, IIRC.

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2009, 05:22:02 PM »
I never really followed the 40K fluff but I had some of the beaky guys.  Did they have a purpose for the two different heads or did they just have two for no real reason?

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2009, 06:03:26 PM »
I never really followed the 40K fluff but I had some of the beaky guys.  Did they have a purpose for the two different heads or did they just have two for no real reason?
The beakies are Power Armor Mk 6, the grill faced guys are Mk 7.  There's a whole fluff history of Mk1 - Mk8.

At one time during the 1st edition era there were special rules published for some of the variants.  That was not retained in later editions, AFAIK.

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 07:49:16 PM »
Nice marines, Jonas :)  They look nicely RT era!

Don't think the field police has special rules, though, but I think they were the precursor to chaplains, IIRC.

There is "rules" of how to paint the models in the Rogue Trader book and it includes both Chaplains and Field Police... where the Chaplain is all black with a white stripe on the helmet and Field Police is black armour and red helmet with a yellow/black stripe, not like on my sergeant, but like stripes on the stripe  o_o

Anyway, I commented on the Field Police because Pil writes that they won't make for a good mix if they are Field Police, but now I think I just misunderstood, I thought he ment a good mix of equipment, but I think he ment a good mix with his other marines  ::)

Anyway, I am planning to steal the idea of these jump packs, I have some of the real RT jump packs, but they are too heavy for plastic marines, I guess these of resin are a bit lighter and won't tip over the marines...

Also I still want to see more of Pil's marines  :D