Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:32:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: French Gendarmes Espanole  (Read 986 times)

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
French Gendarmes Espanole
« on: January 31, 2019, 12:24:12 PM »
Hi Guys
One for the Button counters .. lol
I have purchased some very Nice Brigade Games French Gendarmes A pied Espanol in 28mm, for skirmish Wargaming .
They are with my painter.

However while there are miles of Pictures on the net about these guys in uniform,  the Brigade ones are in Campaign  kit ….

My painter has done them in Dark Blue Pants / overalls , is that the most likely colour??
Your thoughts Please
Cheers

Offline whill4

• Librarian
Re: French Gendarmes Espanole
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 03:48:32 PM »
Not a button counter.  :)  I have the same miniatures and they look really nice. I am painting mine with the buff breeches. I like the idea of them being different.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 06:16:02 PM »
Napoleonic French gendarmes wore uniforms that had changed very little since 1778. The details were set by the 1798 regulations, which specified yellow-buff ('chamois') breeches worn with black gaiters for full dress and dark blue trousers for undress, which also doubled as campaign dress. Dark blue is therefore the correct regulation colour for the overalls.

That said, supply problems sometimes forced local commanders to make do with whatever substitutes they could get their hands on. Along with shoes, trousers usually were the first item of clothing to wear out during periods of extended campaigning. If existing stocks of regulation dark blue trousers were not sufficient to replace the worn out items, new pairs were quickly made from locally available material. Brown was probably the most common colour for non-regulation trousers given that brown cloth was widely used and readily available in Spain.

And just to be pedantic about it, these guys were known as the Gendarmerie d'Espagne, not the gendarmes espagnols (which would suggest they were themselves Spanish).

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 11:29:46 AM »
Hi Guys
Thanks for the feedback , Blue it is then
I shall post a Pic when they are delivered.
Cheers