Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:47:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686591
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help with Pitz Burke  (Read 2401 times)

Offline Legion

• Bookworm
Help with Pitz Burke
« on: January 10, 2019, 05:29:41 PM »
Hi All,

Can any of you tell me where the Z is on this 2nd edition Gamma World map of the ruins of Pitz Burke?

http://archive.4plebs.org/dl/tg/image/1474/88/1474882902685.jpg

I’m working on a cunning plan but I can’t for the life of me see where it is.

Thanks,
L

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Re: Help with Pitz Burke
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 06:22:56 PM »
I couldn't find the 'Z', but I did find Waldo above the 'Y'.

Offline Legion

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 06:53:03 PM »
Ha! Nice!

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 09:16:34 PM »
I gather not on Herz Island.

Offline Legion

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 12:50:47 AM »
I gather not on Herz Island.

I wish it was that easy!

No, it should be a stand-alone letter like A, B, C, etc. ...

I'll be jiggered if I can find it.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 12:29:29 AM »
Don't see it either.  What's the map key say it is?

Offline Legion

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 04:04:54 AM »
Don't see it either.  What's the map key say it is?

Z. CONSOLIDATED EQUITY ESTATE PLANNING CENTER: Secure behind the duralloy walls and doors of this vault-like structure, almost 1000 pre-holocaust citizens occupy their individual Stasis Chambers under the watchful eye of the center's Cybernetic Installation. The center will remain sealed for another 30 years when it will automatically awaken a wealthy couple from the now nonexistent town of Mars, Pennsylvania and begin instructing them in their new life. The Cybernetic Installation operating this center is connected by cable to the Think Tank at the University of Pitz Burke [Y] and so has a fair idea of what conditions are like outside. The thousand clients of CEEP who have slept through the collapse of world civilization do not, of course, have any knowledge of what sort of "future" awaits them. The peace and quiet of the center's sleepers is ensured by the presence of 1d6+6 Security Robots and 1d4 Defense Borgs. However, if anyone manages to blast through the vault's armored exterior (a feat requiring a Fission Bomb, Matter Bomb or Trek Bomb) and overcomes these defenses, the Cybernetic Installation will go into a "program abort" and awaken all 1000 sleepers at once without any indoctrination.

Thanks for looking.

L

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 07:37:55 AM »
Due to trying to line the map up, there's at least one row and column missing in this scan. Do you have the original (all scans of this map online seem to be the same)?
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Legion

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 06:38:44 PM »
Due to trying to line the map up, there's at least one row and column missing in this scan. Do you have the original (all scans of this map online seem to be the same)?

I have three different scanned versions. If I could composite them I'd have a complete, properly aligned map.

Comparing between the three there aren't whole rows or columns missing from any of them. Slivers -- even slabs -- yes, but not whole strips.

The tell-tales are V  in the Gany, R in the Mon, Lake Martinz in the west and around the university (Y) in the east. As I said, little bits here and there are mis-aligned and in some cases overlapped/obscured, but by and large it's all there.

I'm beginning to suspect they overlooked the Z and forgot to put it on the map.

And thanks for taking the time to look.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 09:03:25 AM »
I have three different scanned versions. If I could composite them I'd have a complete, properly aligned map.

Comparing between the three there aren't whole rows or columns missing from any of them. Slivers -- even slabs -- yes, but not whole strips.

and around the university (Y) in the east. As I said, little bits here and there are mis-aligned and in some cases overlapped/obscured, but by and large it's all there.

I'm beginning to suspect they overlooked the Z and forgot to put it on the map.

And thanks for taking the time to look.
Since the CEEP is supposed to be linked to the University (Y) and the misaligns i am betting it is around the University.
But i can tell you i did all sorts of Google searches with no luck.
That is troubling on both sides of the coin.

Grimm

Offline Legion

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 01:59:22 AM »
Hey Grimm,

First, thanks for taking the time to pitch on this with me. I appreciate it.

I'm now wondering if the Z for the CEEP had the map's legend dropped on top of it in layout. Unlikely I know but possible. Wouldn't be the only time in my experience of rpgs.

Or maybe the Z was exactly on one of the fold lines and none have survived. Also unlikely but that doesn't stop me wondering.

For anyone wondering, I am on this hunt for a reason. All will be made clear.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 03:48:22 AM »
While we're at it - where in the world would a geographic situation such as this result in three river names (instead of just two)?

Offline Legion

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 04:19:30 AM »
While we're at it - where in the world would a geographic situation such as this result in three river names (instead of just two)?

Well, Pittsburgh. The Allegheny (Gany) and Monongahela (apparently locals refer to it as “the Mon” even now) Rivers merge to form the Ohio (Hio).

So flow is right-to-left on all.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 04:54:24 AM »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 06:41:49 AM »
Well there is also the situation where one river has two names (the name changing somewhere in the middle, then changing back). Not going to mention the name in the middle *cough*ECHELON*cough*, though there are some local companies receiving some unwanted attention ^___^.