Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:30:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689477
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Great War Chain of Command game - French vs Germans  (Read 2134 times)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Great War Chain of Command game - French vs Germans
« on: January 11, 2019, 04:42:29 PM »
I had an entertaining, if slightly one-way, game of ww1 Chain of Command this evening with Sam DownOrder. We got out my collection of French and Germans (not seen much action since the Verdun project of 2015-16).  I discovered I had no barbed wire or German light machine guns (these both having departed with Paul Scrivens-Smith to the USA, very inconvenient 😀), but we managed to string a game together.

Playing The Probe scenario with the French attacking, I rolled 11 points of support whereas Sam’s Boches rolled a mere 1; I decided to be sporting and only picked 8 points of support. I also decided to keep barrages out of it to keep the game simple. Mistake number one!

Having read Mark Freeth’s excellent article about CoC the other night, I elected to draw up a plan involving a feint on one flank and a decisive breakthrough on the other. It was so cunning that my decoy unit was shot to pieces in the first fifteen minutes of the game by Sam’s slightly outrageous dice rolling, but I should probably shoulder some of the blame for having stranded the poor sods in the open in between shell holes.

Like the Great War, the game then dragged on as I threw various brave French units into the fire to try to force the decisive breakthrough. My bold Hotchkiss machine gun team had some limited success while being bolstered by the brave Lt Maurice, but eventually was silenced by German firepower.  My fantastic sniper was clearly using an air rifle for all the good he did, though I did finally manage a heroic if futile charge towards a German forward position. 

Anyway, good fun, and it’s definitely inspired me to play again soon.

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
Re: Great War Chain of Command game - French vs Germans
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 06:17:36 PM »
Really nice!!! 

What minis are these?
"May the dice of your God's roll like the breasts of your favorite concubine."  Graeme "Henry" Henderson, Dumfries c1980

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 07:12:18 PM »
Really nice!!! 

What minis are these?

Thank you! The Germans are all Great War Miniatures.  The French are a mixture of Woodbine, Brigade, Scarab, Renegade and Old Glory...I like them all!

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 11:31:52 PM »
Thank you! The Germans are all Great War Miniatures.  The French are a mixture of Woodbine, Brigade, Scarab, Renegade and Old Glory...I like them all!

I may just go the route you did with the French - a mix.  Thanks!

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 10:56:35 PM »
Great looking game with some beautifully painted miniatures.   Also loved the Fleury sign stand; was it an objective marker ?

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 04:28:17 PM »
Great looking game with some beautifully painted miniatures.   Also loved the Fleury sign stand; was it an objective marker ?

Thanks, Metternich. The Fleury sign was a jump off point for the game.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 04:48:25 PM »
Played again last week with a much better result for the French! Germans were beaten with a mix of VB rifle grenades and mortar fire. Will definitely be playing more ww1 this year.

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 09:04:50 PM »
ace looking game  :o

Offline AlexM

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 03:05:13 PM »
Really nice looking game! Who makes the French?

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 09:25:49 PM »
Really nice looking game! Who makes the French?

Thanks! Apologies for the second batch of upside down photos - phone glitch I think!

French are by Woodbine, Brigade and Scarab Miniatures. I like the variety.