Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:24:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for horse alternatives for plastic Chaos Marauder horsemen...  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
I don't like the horses supplied with the Chaos Marauder Horsemen, but not sure what to use as alternatives...

My go to for remounts for Citadel figures has been Perry's Wars of the Roses/EA horses, but in this instance I'm looking for equids with Dark Age/Early Medieval tack, as I'd like to use the Marauders as fantasy Germanic cavalry. Modifying the tack and removing the pommel and cantle is one option, but is there an easier route? I'm looking for separately available quality metal or plastic quality mounts: the heads shouldn't look shrunken, for instance.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Looking for horse alternatives for plastic Chaos Marauder horsemen...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 02:55:31 AM »
I'm not sure if you can get them separately but what about the grenadier barbarian orses available from mirliton. They might do a special order? http://www.mirliton.it/index.php?cName=fantasy-2528mm-barbarians
Also ebob does lots of horses.
I have some grenadier ones if you want a scale shot(still using them sorry)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 03:01:54 AM by beefcake »

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 04:58:20 AM »
I'm not sure if you can get them separately but what about the grenadier barbarian orses available from mirliton. They might do a special order? http://www.mirliton.it/index.php?cName=fantasy-2528mm-barbarians
Also ebob does lots of horses.
I have some grenadier ones if you want a scale shot(still using them sorry)
Had considered eBob's horses once for another project, but they're £21 for six and look a little skinny compared with the Perry ones. The Grenadier/Mirliton ones look beefy enough, though it looks like there are only 2 variants and how big are they? Riders separate from horses? I could send Mirliton an email, though shipping to the US from Italy might be pricey ATM. I might have to convert the Perry ones...

The Assault Group has a wide range and I plan on converting the Cossack/Tatar ponies into Scandinavian horses for the metal Chaos Marauders. 

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 08:22:10 AM »
Yeah, they aren't too big. but are beefy for their size. Riders are separate which is a bonus. Shipping is horrendous from them. I've wanted an order for a while, 80 Euro order costs 40 Euro to send. I am in New Zealand though so shipping is always pricey but that kind of takes the cake.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 09:43:24 AM »
I can't be super helpful, but I can say that Gripping Beast Dark Age cavalry will be far too small for you then. They are a little bit slighter then Perry horses, and I've used them for light cavalry in my Game of Thrones forces.

Fireforge could be ok if the tack suits you, they are about a size with Perry, maybe a hair beefier.

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 08:49:41 PM »
Fire forge might be the ticket. I have a box of the mongols to remount my old Kislev horse archers on.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 02:06:20 AM »
I can't be super helpful, but I can say that Gripping Beast Dark Age cavalry will be far too small for you then. They are a little bit slighter then Perry horses, and I've used them for light cavalry in my Game of Thrones forces.

Fireforge could be ok if the tack suits you, they are about a size with Perry, maybe a hair beefier.
I wouldn't mind the GB plastic horses, as I too would use 'em for light horse, but what would I do with the riders? I think Victrix horses look great, but the same problem as the GB ones. I don't know why most manufacturers insist on having the horses on the same sprue as riders... :?

By any chance, would you have a comparison pic of the plastic unbarded Fire Forge horse and unbarded Perry one? Based on some pics, the FF one decent body, but the head or neck looks small or thin.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 02:07:57 AM by Condottiere »

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 02:12:30 AM »
Fire forge might be the ticket. I have a box of the mongols to remount my old Kislev horse archers on.
Have you tried Assault Group's Cossack/Tatar ponies? Don't have any ATM, but I think they look better than the FF steppe horses and plus with an annual £10 membership, it's free shipping on all orders.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 02:22:56 AM »
Yeah, they aren't too big. but are beefy for their size. Riders are separate which is a bonus. Shipping is horrendous from them. I've wanted an order for a while, 80 Euro order costs 40 Euro to send. I am in New Zealand though so shipping is always pricey but that kind of takes the cake.
Swiss Post is probably worse: ~$74 for a book and the shipping was revised from ~$23 to $62. :o Granted it's an heavy hardcover and about as thick a a phone book, but I'd have thought $42 would cover it.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 05:02:04 AM »
My first thought on reading your OP was, "who needs horses anyway?"

I've no idea of compatibility of GW Marauders if remounted on any of these, or of your budget, but my wild imagination leapt to a few possibilities...

Assuming you have access to a significant inheritance you don't mind wasting, Foundry has some possibilities:

North Star Menagerie

From Pulp Figures

Bearshead Miniatures has some exotic ideas (Highland cows, maybe?)
https://www.bearsheadminis.com/store/c10/Animals_and_Mythical_Creatures.html