Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:59:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689346
  • Total Topics: 118275
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: TYW Cavalry Unit  (Read 4468 times)

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Re: TYW Cavalry Unit
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 04:48:10 PM »
Wow!  :o
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 08:31:41 PM »
Simply fantastic!
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 05:45:31 PM »

Offline Costanzo

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 04:22:15 PM »
Great idea and marvellous realization.

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 10:38:26 AM »
Like an oil painting!

It's like a horsey version of Rembrandt's "The Night Watch".
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 02:53:01 PM »
Many thanks for all the kind comments.

I'm planning 5 or 6 cavalry units. This one was started first and uses Perry and Ebob horses. Later ones use Calpe horses, Calpe being a more recent discovery. Sadly, the Perrys do not make that many standing horses without elaborate saddles (which would be impossible to cut away cleanly). Calpe make a good range of standing horses with plenty of variety and they come without saddles, so they're easy to use if you have access to a sculptor to make a simple saddle and to add holstered pistols.

In the units the riders are made in one of 3 ways. Some are riders from non - ECW/ TYW ranges which are then dressed in TYW equipment and given a head swap, so that all you see of the original are the boots and gloves. This is relatively easy for the TYW because the cassock was widely worn and it covers the rider's entire torso, so covers a multitude of sins. I think this gives the best results because it allows you to use riders in interesting poses from various ranges such as the Perry French Napoleonic cuirassiers at ease and some of the Perry Napoleonic officers which twist or bend at the waist. Some of the riders started as infantry and they are cut at the waist and the top part is then attached to riding legs. The join is then covered with a cassock. I've used some Foundry ECW figures and some Perry AWI and ACW figures in this way. Finally, some are ECW or TYW riders which are converted from combat to casual poses by altering or replacing the right arm. A number of manufacturers make replacement heads and TAG has an excellent range of spares such as carbines, swords in scabbards (which you need if the original rider was holding his sword) and holstered pistols. I'm sure some of this would be easier in plastic but I'll have to wait for the Perrys to bring out some plastic seventeenth century cavalry before I start down this route.

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 10:04:15 PM »
Marvelous paintwork Paul. 

I for one would like to see some some close-up photos and maybe conversion pictures.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
Re: TYW Cavalry Unit - Help Wanted
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2019, 02:20:58 PM »
I wonder whether anyone can help. I've bought a pack of Perry figures to add to this unit. It's pack KH1 from their Napoleonic / Kingdom of Holland range (I'd add a photo but I don't know how). There's a figure in the pack looking down at something in his right hand which is cupped against his body. I think it's a pocket watch but it could be a miniature of a loved one. Can anyone think of what the watch / miniature could be converted into please? All I can think of is a coin.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2019, 03:38:58 PM »

I don't have that particular pack but I suspect the figure is indeed looking at his watch. Contrary to what I thought, pocket watches did exist in the C17th, though they may perhaps have been a tad expensive for your average trooper :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_watch

http://www.historyofwatch.com/watch-history/history-of-pocket-watches/

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2019, 04:04:10 PM »
Michel: many thanks. Interesting about pocket watches existing in the seventeenth century but I agree that they would have been too expensive for  the average trooper, and I do want the figure to be a trooper. I suppose he could have stolen it, but if he had, would he have been able to tell the time? 

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2019, 04:12:07 PM »
stunning brushwork

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2019, 05:23:40 PM »
Blimey. That is an ambitious start point for converting to TYW figures...

How about putting a clay pipe in his hand for him to contemplate.
That or an apple...
:)

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2019, 05:45:42 PM »
Richard: many thanks. Two great ideas. I'm no sculptor, but I suspect that the most difficult part of the conversion will be the head. The cast head is looking down at the watch in a distinct way. A replacement head will not capture this unless something is done with the eyes. The cast head has a chin strap, so leaving the head but replacing the head gear will not suffice. Anyway, I'll see what the sculptor has to say.

Offline georgec

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2019, 06:59:49 PM »
Michel: many thanks. Interesting about pocket watches existing in the seventeenth century but I agree that they would have been too expensive for  the average trooper, and I do want the figure to be a trooper. I suppose he could have stolen it, but if he had, would he have been able to tell the time?

Bible? 

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2019, 08:11:32 PM »
georgec: yes, I did think about a Bible but this raises two questions, neither of which I know the answer to. First, this is supposed to be an Imperialist, Catholic, unit, and I do not know to what extent during the period a Bible in the local language (as opposed to the Latin Vulgate) would be available to ordinary troopers. I assume that such a trooper is unlikely to have been able to read Latin. Secondly. I  do not know to what extent troopers (whether Catholic or Protestant) would have been able to read at all.  Any thoughts on this would be most welcome.