Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:54:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dinky Daimler  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Dinky Daimler
« on: January 26, 2019, 03:35:34 PM »
Many years ago I was bought a Dinky Toys Daimler Armoured Car. It had sat in a box with other childhood toys.

Much later, in 2013 I think, I bought the Warlord Daimler MkI armoured car. At the time, I thought I should compare the two. A posting on the Conflicts That Came In From the Cold (http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=114654.0) reminded me about it.

The Dinky Toys one is slightly smaller (which I have to admit surprised me). William Killian for scale.

I suspect the "Tactical Sign" is of a post war version. I will get round to adding some decals to the Warlord one.

The underside.

Offline stormbird

• Assistant
Re: Dinky Daimler
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 06:02:29 PM »
Seen the Corgi Junior Daimler A/C just right for 28mm ?

http://wargamingwithsilverwhistle.blogspot.com/2015/05/

Next to Warlord miniatures

Dead cheap from Toy and Train fairs

regards Paul
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 10:23:29 PM by stormbird »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 08:16:31 PM »
Surely 'value' depends on what you value.
I value highly Vodkafan's work.
The chance of playing with loved old Dinky toys, this time on a wargaming front
is, to me, worth far more than them sitting in a box ignored.
It is an added advantage that he works his magic with the bashed about examples.

Offline wrgmr1

• Mad Scientist
  • Mad Gamer and Painter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 09:37:38 PM »
Very cool comparison!

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 10:45:13 PM »
Surely 'value' depends on what you value.
I value highly Vodkafan's work.
The chance of playing with loved old Dinky toys, this time on a wargaming front
is, to me, worth far more than them sitting in a box ignored.
It is an added advantage that he works his magic with the bashed about examples.

I am not quite sure where this came from.

It was my admiration of the refurbished Saracens that made me find my armoured car (not that I am going to refurbish mine, it is one of my childhood toys with all the memories attached).

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 01:10:24 AM »
The Dinky Daimler is probably a nominal 1/64, which was meant to be their standard scale. The Warlord will be 1/56 (or possibly even 1/48, as some older '28mm' models were scaled to). That likely explains the discrepancy in size.

NB, Dinky actually made several versions. The original , no. 670, was significantly smaller than the later Ferret hybrid.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 01:20:40 AM by Etranger »
"It's only a flesh wound...."

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 09:25:53 AM »
Thanks for the information Etranger, as you could see, mine is the 670. Interesting that the "French" one in your photograph has the same wheels as mine.

I think I have the Ferret still, though mine is the open top version.

Over the fifty odd years, very few of my Dinky toys have survived (I had the Spectrum SPV, car and the white valuable item carrier, I suspect I still have the car).

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 11:15:02 AM »
Sorry Ultra. I got my threads about Dinky toys mixed up. It would have made more sense
if I had put it on the Vodkafan one. Oops.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 11:46:01 AM »
The Dinky Daimler is probably a nominal 1/64, which was meant to be their standard scale. The Warlord will be 1/56 (or possibly even 1/48, as some older '28mm' models were scaled to). That likely explains the discrepancy in size.

NB, Dinky actually made several versions. The original , no. 670, was significantly smaller than the later Ferret hybrid.

Dinky Daimler armoured car is 1/60, as is most of their late war and post war stuff. Exceptions are the Jeep (1/50), the Ferret (1/48) and the Dingo (1/48).
As Stormbird  says, the Corgi Junior Dingo is nearer 1/56.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 11:47:01 AM »
Not my photo I'm afraid, just one pulled up off the web,

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 12:01:56 PM »
Here is a comparison pic with the Corgi Junior Dingo next to the Dinky one:

and two Corgi Juniors (not done the markings or finished the groundwork on the base yet)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 09:45:09 PM »
The Dingo, the Daimler AC and Saracen, work out to about 1/60 as do most of the French Dinky items like the AMX-13, Berliet truck and the Panhard EBR. It should come as little surprise that they are a bit smaller than 1/56 resin items. That said, they are well detailed for what they are, robust and of course a lovely bit of nostalgia. The wheels are easily replaced and that’s the one item I most commonly but not always replace. Barrels can be removed and repkaced with brass or aluminium tubing. For the Saladins, I had some smoke dischargers made up and cast.

The only downside to Dinku, is that they are a bitvof a bugger if you like open hatches.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 09:12:32 AM »
The Dingo, the Daimler AC and Saracen, work out to about 1/60 as do most of the French Dinky items like the AMX-13, Berliet truck and the Panhard EBR. It should come as little surprise that they are a bit smaller than 1/56 resin items. That said, they are well detailed for what they are, robust and of course a lovely bit of nostalgia. The wheels are easily replaced and that’s the one item I most commonly but not always replace. Barrels can be removed and repkaced with brass or aluminium tubing. For the Saladins, I had some smoke dischargers made up and cast.

The only downside to Dinku, is that they are a bitvof a bugger if you like open hatches.

Carlos, didn't you see my pictures and explanation above? The Dinky dingo is 1/48, the Daimler a/c and Saracen are as you say 1/60.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 11:59:32 AM »
Just a musing .( As I've mentioned before I've been contemplating doing something similar.)
Would the Dinky Daimler slightly more in scale if you simply moved the wheel axles down (possibly even just glue them to the underside of the cast in axle hole/brackets?)
As the body doesn't seem overly small in comparison to the Warlord version . just seems to sit lower on its wheels.

Mark.