Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:20:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Clausewitz's history of Napoleon's 1796 campaign in Italy  (Read 4760 times)

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Re: Clausewitz's history of Napoleon's 1796 campaign in Italy
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 01:15:48 AM »
As a certifiable Napoleonic geek, this stuff is great. I'm just starting Wurmser's offensive to relieve Mantua. The amount of stuff Bonaparte extorts from various Italian states always includes paintings, along with millions of livres/francs, horses, grain, etc. I wonder just how much of the Louvre's collection was gained by him? Years ago the NYC Metropolitan Museum of Art had a show of Spanish paintings that influenced French artists. The sheer number of paintings that were looted by Soult was astonishing. And now I find that Bonaparte seems to have outdone him.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2018, 05:02:55 PM »
It seems odd that the French didn't have to give the artworks back at the end of the wars, unlike the Germans after World War II. Napoleon had nothing on Goering.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 10:42:02 PM »
It seems odd that the French didn't have to give the artworks back at the end of the wars, unlike the Germans after World War II. Napoleon had nothing on Goering.

Recently found out that after Napoleon abdicated in 1814, Talleyrand climbed out of the woodwork to represent France.  Austria and Britain wanted a moderately strong France (sans Bonaparte) to offset Russia and Prussia. Talleyrand squeezed a lot of compromises out of this. Among them, no artworks were repatriated. Otherwise I should think the Louvre would be half empty. Perhaps since much of the art was from minor Italian states, their Habsburg and Bourbon overlords didn't much care. Much of the art was from Spain, which was not that powerful before the war and a wreck afterwards. Had the art been purloined from Austria or Prussia, there might have been more of an effort to get it back.

Britain, Austria and France signed a secret alliance aimed at Russia and Prussia. When Bonaparte regained the throne in 1815, he published the secret alliance. That would be one reason why Gneisenau was frosty towards the British.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 05:55:10 PM »
That's interesting. It might also serve as the background to a campaign, not that I'll ever do it, but someone with sufficient energy and determination, to say nothing of playing partners, definitely should. The overall objective, rather than subjugation of the enemy, would be to amass the most magnificent collection of stolen artworks. (Spoiler: France wins).

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 02:16:38 PM »
That's interesting. It might also serve as the background to a campaign, not that I'll ever do it, but someone with sufficient energy and determination, to say nothing of playing partners, definitely should. The overall objective, rather than subjugation of the enemy, would be to amass the most magnificent collection of stolen artworks. (Spoiler: France wins).

interesting idea. Of course, the best pickings would be in Italy and Spain, probably the Netherlands too. All of them less than military/political powerhouses.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 03:25:44 PM »
And how about a secondary objective of putting a sibling on the throne? Monogrammed chamberpots? I like this more and more...

Offline ChrisBBB

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2018, 04:50:16 PM »
The overall objective, rather than subjugation of the enemy, would be to amass the most magnificent collection of stolen artworks. (Spoiler: France wins).

Wasn't that near the top of Hermann Goering's victory conditions too?

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2018, 05:19:53 PM »
Very true. One would have to distinguish between national and personal victory conditions. This isn't a completely facetious idea: I remember a magazine article by Sam Mustafa in which he related asking his students who won the Napoleonic Wars. Most replied along the lines of Britain and / or Russia, Prussia, etc. The one he liked best, however, and was presumably hoping for, was 'Napoleon'.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 04:50:51 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline ChrisBBB

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2019, 01:00:43 PM »
Two nice positive reviews now:

https://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/book-review/napoleons-1796

https://www.strategypage.com/bookreviews/1757

What more excuse do you need? To (a) buy the book and (b) treat yourself to those French and Austrian armies, eg from Pendraken's fine 10mm Revolutionary War range:
https://pendraken.co.uk/napoleonic/1792-1797-revolutionary-war/
Tarletons, phrygian caps, mirlitons - it has to be done!

Chris

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2019, 05:00:31 PM »
My copy arrived a couple of weeks ago, and I'm looking forward to reading it. May we expect a translation of Clausewitz's study of the 1799 campaigns in Italy and Switzerland?

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2019, 04:39:39 PM »
I remember a magazine article by Sam Mustafa in which he related asking his students who won the Napoleonic Wars.

Bernadotte, hands down.

And oh yeah, get this book. If you are interested at all in the campaign and/or are looking for a more digestible take on Clausewitz than his On War, get it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 04:44:17 PM by vtsaogames »

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2019, 05:11:46 PM »
Erm, I have got the book (see previous post). Good point about Bernadotte, just a pity the story about his tattoo is untrue.