Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:42:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690924
  • Total Topics: 118358
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 600
Total: 605

Recent

Author Topic: Napoleonic Russian fatigue cap- lacing or no?  (Read 908 times)

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
Napoleonic Russian fatigue cap- lacing or no?
« on: January 25, 2019, 07:59:50 PM »
Have just started some Perry Napoleonic Russians and settled for the forage cap. Having seen combinations like red band and white lacing on top. While there officially probably were many variations in colour how well implemented was this for such a cap? Did they use blue band with blue lacing on top for example? Looking to settle for a standard version for the infantry.

Thanks for Your help.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Napoleonic Russian fatigue cap- lacing or no?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 11:48:48 PM »
for the 1812 uniform most I have sen have a red band except the Jaegers who have green. Some jhave piping others not but if I try painting that it will spoil the figure so I am doing without the oipe.
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 08:50:39 AM »
for the 1812 uniform most I have sen have a red band except the Jaegers who have green. Some jhave piping others not but if I try painting that it will spoil the figure so I am doing without the oipe.

Thats been my impression too, and going with this keeping it as simple as possible. Thank You.

Offline Greystreak

• Librarian
  • Old Age + Guile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 01:32:10 PM »
From September of 1811, new forage caps (shapkas) were issued to combatants of all arms in Russian service according to Viskovatov, and these were widely adopted.  The cap 'band' colour, worn closest to the wearer's skull, was coloured to denote the type of arm:  red = grenadier or musketeer 'heavy infantry'; green = jaeger or marine infantry; black = artillery; cavalry in the regimental 'distinctive' colour.  The band could be piped along it's top or bottom seams--e.g., red for jaegers and artillery, white for marines--and the upper 'brim' was piped to denote the battalion, battery, or company.  In the case of infantry, the upper brim would be piped as follows (from Mark Conrad's translation of A.S. Viskovatov:

"23 September 1811— Combatant lower ranks are ordered to have forage caps shaped like shakos, but almost twice as low and without visors, with a red band and the following distinctions:

1st battalion, in the 1st Grenadier company: for Grenadiers - red piping on top; for Marksmen - yellow piping on top and around the band (Illus. 1321).

2nd battalion, in the 2nd Grenadier company: for Grenadiers - green piping on top; for Marksmen - green piping on top and yellow around the band (Illus. 1321).

3rd battalion, in the 3rd Grenadier company: for Grenadiers - sky-blue piping on top; for Marksmen - sky-blue piping on top and yellow around the band (Illus. 1321).

1st battalion, in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Fusilier companies - white piping on top and around the band, with the respective number of each company on the front of the band (Illus. 1321).

2nd battalion, in the 4th, 5th, and 6th Fusilier companies - green piping on top and around the band, with the respective number of each company on the front of the band (Illus. 1321).

3rd battalion, in the 7th, 8th, and 9th Fusilier comapnies - sky-blue piping on top and around the band, with the respective number of each company on the front of the band (Illus. 1321) (719).

Officers are given the same caps except with the addition of a sewn-on visor of black, lacquered leather (719).

Translation Note by Mark Conrad - The actual decree went as follows:
PSZ No. 24,789. Forage caps for lower ranks are to be like a shako without a visor, with red bands in Grenadier and infantry regiments and with green bands in Jäger and Marine regiments, in accordance with the models provided to regiments along with their cutters. Different piping on the forage caps, in Grenadier and infantry as well as in Jager and Marine regiments, is to be as follows: Grenadier companies: 1st Grenadier Company, in the grenadier platoon - red piping on the top of the cap, and in the marksmen platoon - yellow piping on the top of the cap and around the band; 2nd Grenadier Company, in the grenadier platoon - green piping on the top of the cap, and in the marksmen platoon - likewise green piping on the top of the cap but yellow around the band; 3rd Grenadier Company, in the grenadier platoon - sky-blue piping on the top of the cap, and in the marksmen platoon - likewise sky-blue piping on the top of the cap but yellow around the band; in the other companies the piping differs by battalion: in the 1st Battalion white piping on the top of the cap and around the band; in the 2nd Battalion green piping on the top of the cap and around the band; in the 3rd Battalion sky-blue piping on the top of the cap and around the band. All these companies, that is to say except for the Grenadier companies, have their company number on the front of the cap band. In Jäger regiments the Grenadier platoons in Grenadier companies are to have red piping around the green band."

Hope this helps!

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 09:00:49 PM »
Hope this helps!

Indeed it did. 1st battalion Fusiliers it will be. Thank You very much :)