Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:43:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pellucidar Fans Might Recognize THIS!  (Read 4226 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: Pellucidar Fans Might Recognize THIS!
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 06:48:17 PM »
The GI Joe Mole Pod. Thanks for that.

A started project, nice if I ever completed one, has four MOLEs. One regular at each end, and just two 'bodies', matched open-removed-screw end to end, in the center, to make a sub-land train. I always assumed a rear screw engine would make sense for backing out of bad times...

Lovely work, Dan!

Doug

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 09:47:46 PM »
Doug

Thanks so much.  I do have a couple of additional “Pellucidar-specific” bits to make in the foreseeable future, so that this iron mole won’t feel too lonely.

In the meantime ...  with a rolled up piece of thick paper plate (rolled into a very gentle “cone”), a couple of paper clips and some hot glue, I decided to construct this 5-inch plant thing on top of an old recycled GW tree base:

It really started off as an old prehistoric fern.  But a couple of glue sticks later I decided to make it into something that I could use also for regular African adventures ... a baobab.

As you can see in the second picture, I used the hot glue gun to make a few random horizontal striations to the trunk, which I smoothed down and partially blended in with the tip of the glue gun.  I guess the next step will be adding a coat or two of straight PVA, making sure to leave horizontal brush marks as the PVA starts to dry.

Now this is what a real baobab looks like, by the way:

https://www.thepatriot.co.zw/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/17-2.jpg

I’m not sure how far I’ll take this little baobab “distraction” of mine, or if I’ll just start over and make one with a thinner trunk, but I’ll keep you guys posted.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:39:32 PM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline StoneMtnMinis

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
  • When in the course of Human Events
    • Stone Mountain Miniatures, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2019, 12:46:22 AM »
Dan,

Your work area is waaaayyy too clean.  You are making me feel like a slob.

Other than that, Brilliant!
Dave
Stone Mountain Miniatures, Inc.
www.WargamingMiniatures.com

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 08:12:13 AM »
Lol.  That’s actually our living room and bedroom, because I needed a bit of natural light for the photos.

My work area keeps shrinking, so it looks anything but clean right now.

Dan

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2019, 10:35:00 PM »
Hi all,

I’ve also started on some “steam vents” for this Lost World project:

Or, perhaps, I should add some small bones at the base of the fumaroles and use them as hive entrances for large ants?  Thoughts?

Thanks

Dan
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 10:37:43 PM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2019, 02:24:41 AM »
I'd think separate bone piles would allow you to use the 'vents' as vents, or as hives...  ;)

Doug

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2019, 11:28:06 PM »
Doug

You are absolutely right.  I need to keep reminding myself to keep it versatile.

By the way, these have got to be the weirdest tree photos that I’ve seen for members of the baobab tree family:

Dan

Offline Deflatermouse

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2019, 09:40:40 AM »
Those steam vents look just the job. What methods did you use to make them?

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2019, 09:21:12 PM »
Thanks, glad you like them!

1) I used a couple of oval MDF bases (a large and a medium size) that I beveled;
2) Then I used hot glue* to build up some pieces into irregular “stepped” cones with a hole down the center of each;
3) I gave the cones a light sanding to round out the extreme edges a little bit;
4) I stippled filler (spackling, wall joint compound) over the entire surface;
5) I gave the joint compound plenty of time to dry before using PVA to adhere sand and stones in a few scattered areas (avoid creating large contiguous areas of PVC);
6) I very lightly stippled semi-diluted joint compound over the textured areas and allowed it all to dry throughly before doing any painting.  Painting is my next step.

According to my notes, I think those are the main steps.  I started writing down a lot of things lately, specially colors and texture schemes.

By the way, I just found a bag with 200 plastic ants.  They are about 3/4” long, so the cones could definitely work as entry points to a hive.  :)

Dan
* I’m trying to cut back on my use of PVA and other shrinking materials, wherever possible.  That way I can avoid severe warping problems and even potential mold/mildew issues down the road.  Contact cement works also for other materials.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 09:26:39 PM by Cacique Caribe »