Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:08:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689757
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First Hirst Arts project: Roman Shrine  (Read 4001 times)

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
First Hirst Arts project: Roman Shrine
« on: June 07, 2009, 08:34:27 AM »
A bunch of us local clubbed together to a few Hirst Arts mold and then they promptly sat there for a good long time. Until last week, when I started casting them. Aside from the usual basic blocks, fieldstone, basic floor and wooden planks, we got the Roman mold. Those of you who follow the pulp forum will know that my local gaming group recently went to the Varius Valley to investigate strange mechanical noises: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=9731.0. Anyway, the Varius Valley, in keeping with its name, used to be the site of a Roman outpost. However, we had no ability to actually build those ruins, until today. So without further ado, here is the first piece of almost-finished roman ruin-ery:

from my flickr gaming scenery set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7393803@N03/sets/72157619224597218/

The base is a cd. It is mostly finished, I need to do a bit more flocking and then add a more greenery. I am also a bit uncertain if I want to do a bit of white drybrushing on the ruins themselves, as they are a little flat greyish.

I have a forum that I have just started as well. That is going to be a great deal more work. The in progress pics can be seen on my flickr page as well.

Thoughts?

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: First Hirst Arts project: Roman Shrine
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 08:45:57 AM »
I have to say, that's one of the most original use of hirst arts products... a bit different than usual, I like it!

Offline opa wuttke

• Bookworm
    • A fistful of heroes
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 07:25:24 PM »
Looking good so far, go on...

I startet some roman buildings years ago, but stuck over some other projects. I also use cd as bases they´re doing well for this purpose.
But why do you want to flock them. Just try one base with columns and more broken stones and rubble..I think it will look more....uuhmm...ancient

It´s just an idea ;)

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 07:27:57 PM »
Looks effective a realistic,

how do you find the moulds to work with always seem to be millions of bits from the pictures on their website

dodge

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 11:46:26 PM »
how do you find the moulds to work with always seem to be millions of bits from the pictures on their website

Depends on which moulds you choose - some have zonks of bits, other just have biggish chunks. We have a few moulds, mostly Egyptian but also some SF and the Weathertop set.
You do need lots of bricks for some of the projects - think Lego but without the nipples.

Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 02:45:34 AM »
Looking good so far, go on...

I startet some roman buildings years ago, but stuck over some other projects. I also use cd as bases they´re doing well for this purpose.
But why do you want to flock them. Just try one base with columns and more broken stones and rubble..I think it will look more....uuhmm...ancient

It´s just an idea ;)

The shrine is flocked because it is supposed to be a standalone building, in the middle of a field or a jungle. For a larger building like the forum I am working on, there is going to be a great deal of dirt and rock around the actually floor of the forum.

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 02:47:46 AM »
Looks effective a realistic,

dodge

You do need a lot of bricks, but they are not that difficult to get. You get need a lot of plaster. You can easily cast 4 or 5 pours in an evening and still have lots of time to do other things. Getting the right mix of plaster and getting it into the mold without trapping airbubbles can be a challenge. The mixture must be thin enough to pour but thick enough that once set, it will be solid.

Honestly, they are worth the investment. Go in with some friends like we did because you really don't need to own them yourself anyway.

Offline Cheeky Monkey

• Librarian
  • no matter where you go,there you are
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 05:08:25 PM »
Nice to see somebody else on this forum using Hirst Arts stuff - and a nice use it is by the way. Dry brushing the ruins will do a great bit to adding aging to the piece - as will vines and weeds growing around the place. I have found that owning the molds is a necessity because once you start finding out what you can do with them the building itself becomes an obsession. I currently own 31 of the molds and have plans to order several more, as there are several architectural elements that I still need for projects that I have planned - and thats how I choose my molds - by the pieces on them. You need to drop over to the HA Forum some time and check out the various projects being developed by some of the group - if you haven't already. They are a genuinely helpful and friendly group.
If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of progress ?
http://miniaturerealities.weebly.com

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 05:17:48 PM »
Nicely done and well detailed. Thanks for sharing. Great idea!!
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 05:19:30 PM »
think Lego but without the nipples.

Yes, alas!, without nipples... But cracking stuff nevertheless. Where LEGO is an obvious toy set, HirsArt almost feels like the real stuff.

I have about 10 different moulds.