Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:20:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tomrommels Cruel Seas miniatures update 20.8.19 "Das Boot" finished page 7  (Read 15172 times)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
In this thread I will post all the stuff i do for Cruel Seas from Warlord Games.
For a x mas present to myself I got the cruel seas starter box. I just finished painting the first miniatures for the game. The miniatures are made from plastic ( S-boats and Vospers) the bigger ships like the coastal tanker are made from resin and metal. Included in the starter box are the torpedo markers and everything else you need to play. The rules are quite nice and give a very fast paced game. Alas in the first edition there were many mistakes in the rulebook so that warlord published grata 14 days after release of the game. Despite these problems at the start the game is really good. I like it and will play it a lot. There are some issues with torpedo shooting but nothing wich can’t be tweaked if not liked as written.

I will write a run through the rules later.

Here are the miniatures. I got the starter and the tanker model. As said above the tanker is resin and metal the other boats are plastic as are the torpedo markers.

Here is the tanker model:

I built it strait out of the box. If I built it again I would replace the metal masts with brass wire ones for sturdiness. It is a nice little coastal tanker so don’t expect a ocean going ship it is a smallish coastal steamer. But that is the kind of ship you would expect to find as prey by the S boats or vospers in the channel.

Next up the two Vospers. There are two different Vosper versions in the basic game. A later war version with 4 torpedo tubes and an early version with 2 torpedo tubes.

The masts are quite thick , but I think these is to keep them from braking when gaming with them. at least these are wargaming models so have to be more sturdy then scale models. I think that I will replace the plastic masts with brass wire ones when I build my other boats. If you look closely at the bridge of the two tube Vosper boat you can see some crew in the bridge area. They are from the tanker model.

Next up is the S 38 Schnellboot.

Again the boat is build strait out of the box with the addition of brass fotoetched railings and some Tamya crew figures. The railing is 1/350 scale ( the boats are 1/300 scale) but i think it fits quite nicely. The crew figures instead are only 2 dimensional ones I wouldn’t use them again. I will wait for the warlord metal figures and replace them.

Here is the S100 Schnellboot with armored bridge.

Again with fotoetched railing and to be exchanged Tamya crew figures. The Splash markers are resin casts done by myself. I didn’t like the ones in the starter box. By the way the gaming mat is by Deepcut studio.

Here are some shots of a test game of the scenario which will be played at this years Kiepencon in Münster Germany .

Torpedo hit on the Tanker:

Marker done by me in resin.

Altogether a wonderful game and nice miniatures will definitely do more here. The only thing missing is more coastal cargo vessels . I will probably scratch and cast some in the near future to have convoys with more ships.

First up will be a former northsea island steamer . The Rheinland build in the 1920. So stay tuned!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 06:01:03 AM by tomrommel1 »
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: Tomrommels Cruel Seas miniatures
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 10:42:39 AM »
Everything looks great. Nice work. I really like the way you have added the railings as well to the Schnellboots.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 04:26:49 PM »
Nice, I did need a bit of inspiration for my own lot. 8) 8) 8)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 11:13:25 PM »
These look good Tom. I’m quite tempted by these myself, I must admit...  ::)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 06:44:29 AM »
Try the game Richard! The rules are quite easy to learn and give a fast paced game. You can really use any boat or ship up to destroyer size so possibilities without end. There are quite a lot of good books about coastal waters actions so scenarios without end.

I like it.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 07:39:57 AM »
As I started with cruel Seas, I decided that I would need more costal steamers for convoys. One tanker is not enough. Therefore i started to look for old plans of coastal steamers in the WWW.

As i often travel to the north sea island Borkum I started to look for plans of old steam ships with brought the tourists over to the island during the 1930-1940. These ships were called “Bäderschiffe” in German. I found plans for the steamship Rheinland with was build in 1926.

I will build her as she looked when brand new in 1929.

As usual I use cardboard and extruded polystyrene for my model building. Here are some pictures of the building process so far . Oh, I forgot to tell, the model is in 1/300 or 6mm , the scale of Cruel seas. The model could be used as a Sperrbrecher or similar war time use in the games.

And a picture with a Vosper from Warlord for size comparison:

Many more pictures on: https://wargamesgazette.com/2019/01/23/the-baderschiff-rheinland/

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Tomrommels Cruel Seas miniatures update 23.1.19
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 07:42:45 AM »
My 2 sprues of PT boats arrived today with my copy of the latest WI, planning on using one as a radar boat for a Med fleet of MTBs. Got 2 sprues of torpedoes as well.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 06:37:44 PM »
Nice job on that ship.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 06:35:48 AM »
Thanks!

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 07:16:42 AM »
Little update on the Rheinland, basically more sanding and filling. I added the funnel and the life boat racks. Now only the fine detail like windows , anchors etc are missing. Then molding will commence .

More pictures here: https://wargamesgazette.com/2019/01/25/a-little-bit-more-progress-on-the-steamer-for-cruel-seas/

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Re: Tomrommels Cruel Seas miniatures update 25.1.19
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 08:59:38 AM »
I added the last little details to the steamer Rheinland. She will be prepared for casting today and I think I might manage doing the molds tomorrow then. I took pictures of her alongside the tanker from warlord for size comparison .

More pictures on: https://wargamesgazette.com/2019/01/29/last-little-details-added-to-the-rheinland/

So as this build nears completion I am open for suggestions what should be next. I am thinking about doing a generic cargo vessel size will be in-between the tanker from warlord and a liberty ship. So length would be around 24 cm. Any more suggestions? What is missing for cruel Seas?

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
Re: Tomrommels Cruel Seas miniatures update 29.1.19
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 04:14:14 PM »
Very cool build on the steamship ( It looks fantastic and your WIPs were informative concerning any ship construction), and your other vessels for that matter.  I blame people like you for making me want to check this one out.  I'm waiting on the my order arriving and think this and Blood Red Skies would be wonderful to affect the dispositions of Bolt Action land battles.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 04:19:17 PM »
Nice work on that ship, looking forward to seeing it cast and completed.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 07:28:28 AM »
Thanks to all. The ship will get molded today

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 08:16:02 AM »
Great work. Love these models. I have actually cancelled my WI online subscription as it's pretty poor and you have to pay postage to get the freebies. Looks like I'm back to WH Smiths again.