Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:03:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: War of Spanish Succession interest rekindled  (Read 4538 times)

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
War of Spanish Succession interest rekindled
« on: January 21, 2019, 07:29:35 PM »
A few posts up on my long dormant blog about my War of Spanish Succession project.  A particular shout-out to Iain at flags of war who provided the flags for the Dutch regiment Salisch:

This project stalled a few years ago but my interest has recently been rekindled, so I've added a couple of more units (with a couple of others on the painting table).

More on the blog: https://battleoframillies.wordpress.com/

Offline jaytee

• Assistant
    • The Wargamer
Re: War of Spanish Succession interest rekindled
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 12:36:42 AM »
Very nice. I'm also starting a Marlburian project, but in 10mm, I'll be blogging about my painful progress as well!
HISTORICAL WARGAMER BLOG: https://miniaturewar.games

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 07:11:31 PM »
Superb
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill

Offline twicethecaffeine

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 11:09:07 PM »
Lovely looking figures!

I'm working slowly on my WSS project, mainly British but I keep getting bored of painting red and after about a battalion and a half I have to paint a random unit with different coat colours.
This means that I have Bavarians, Dutch, Hesse-Kassel (& British) all on the go at the same time!

I've used quite a few of the Flags Of War flags and I find them very good.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 11:29:17 AM »
Very nice. I'm also starting a Marlburian project, but in 10mm, I'll be blogging about my painful progress as well!

Lotsa piccies, pliss. 18th century looks super in 10mm.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Costanzo

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 02:44:56 PM »
Very nice unit!

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 08:05:21 PM »
I enjoy your blog as I,m interested in anything to do with the Sun King’s Wars. I do think that Front Rank figures are especially suitable for this period. Your units and flags look superb and are complimented by the lovely flags . I hope you,ll post more .

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 10:43:33 PM »
I enjoy your blog as I,m interested in anything to do with the Sun King’s Wars. I do think that Front Rank figures are especially suitable for this period. Your units and flags look superb and are complimented by the lovely flags . I hope you,ll post more .

Thanks!  After a long period of idleness with this stuff, my interest is definitely rekindled so I expect to be posting more.

And thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Offline AlyMorrison

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 11:51:26 PM »
Great to see you back on form Phil...
I was getting a bit lonely out there...  lol

All the best   Aly
YES!... I KNOW I AM A BUTTERFLY.
http://alystoysoldiers.blogspot.co.uk

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 01:25:34 AM »
It really is a beautiful period, isn't it? I wish you many happy hours of painting and playing. Here's an image from my most recent game to help you along:

Sailors have more fun!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 06:06:13 AM »
Okay, for you aficionados of the Marlburian period, sell me on it over the Seven Years War, please.  The latter gives me good maneuver with a similar variety of uniforms - if not more.  What is the superior appeal to the earlier period?   Genuinely curious to hear your thoughts. 

Oh, and yes, exceptional figures.

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 05:20:34 PM »
Okay, for you aficionados of the Marlburian period, sell me on it over the Seven Years War, please.  The latter gives me good maneuver with a similar variety of uniforms - if not more.  What is the superior appeal to the earlier period?   Genuinely curious to hear your thoughts. 

Oh, and yes, exceptional figures.

Either/or?  What, are you new to wargaming?  It's both/and!   ;D

The SYW has a lot to offer - there were lots of gameable actions that are pretty well known.  The WSS by comparison has 4 really big battles in Flanders.  They are well known, but it's also surprising how much we don't know about them.  I should do an updated post on the order of battle for Ramillies on my site - I now have 3 different reliable orders of battle for the Allied side!  And finding info about the battles in Spain or Italy is difficult.

The uniforms of the SYW are also really well known - the kronoskaf website has done a good job of documenting them publicly, and with flags.  The WSS is getting better, but accurate info is spread out in a lot of places and still there are a lot of gaps in the knowledge.

*I* am hooked on Marlburians for three reasons: the beautiful uniforms, the "just learning how to fight" feel, and a big game I played in.

Re: uniforms: the WSS gets a nod from me here because the uniforms are generally simpler.  It's a lot easier to paint a bunch of white uniformed Marlburians than Austrians.  But I do like seeing an Austrian army lined up all in white with the different facings on the lapels and turnbacks.

Re: "just learning how to fight": you just get the feeling that these generals were just learning how to organize on a large scale, learning what to do with muskets and bayonets, and figuring out how to make the best use of cavalry.  So it's a little less clean than later periods and I find that appealing.

Re: a game I played in.  I went to Oregon and participated in the big battle of Ramillies 300 anniversary game put on by Ian Croxall, Warren Bruhn, and others.  It was a highlight of my gaming life and I was hooked from then on.

But it's really a both/and rather than an either/or.  My friends have big collections of SYW figures and we've done a lot of big battles with those.  Great times there as well.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 09:13:49 PM »
FifteensAway,
Quite frankly, you can't go wrong with either one.
I have owned armies and sold armies of both periods.
Having painted both periods, WSS is a little easier to paint.
I painted tons of figures for the Ramillies 300 anniversary game.
(Sold them off a few years later.)
It was also great fun to help Ian and others run the game at Enfilade.
If you don't want to paint large armies try Pikemen's Lament.
Lots of fun.
Jump in either period, start small, build from there.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 09:21:03 PM by Marine0846 »
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 11:31:30 PM »

I painted tons of figures for the Ramillies 300 anniversary game.
(Sold them off a few years later.)
It was also great fun to help Ian and others run the game at Enfilade.

That was it!  We probably met there - that was really an awesome experience.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 02:13:29 AM »
Thank you, gentlemen, for your replies.  I once had a start on a SYW army but the #1 local collector switched rules, twice, and knocked the wind out of everyone's desire to keep the period alive.  Still like it.  Sometimes drawn towards the earlier period.  For now, I plan to use my starting to paint AWI as stand-ins until I come to a conclusion.  The SYW option is why I have 20 cavalry units for the AWI!  (Yup, all based on historical units.)