Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:10:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690961
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Best fit for grenadier barbarians.  (Read 5580 times)

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
Re: Best fit for grenadier barbarians.
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 08:00:47 PM »
Bronze Age miniatures has some barbarian similar to Copplestone's and as big as them.
http://bronzeagemin.com/fantasy/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 08:55:59 PM »
Would be great to see some Copplestone Barbarians next to other minis to get an idea of size...
Oh yeah, sorry I was going to do that in my other thread. They scale pretty well against the more recent things. I'll see if I can get a picture today against some GW stuff. Mind you I only have mostly old GW stuff.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 09:11:44 PM »
Here you go.

by Kieran Me, on Flickr
Left to right, GW, Grenadier barbarian, Black Tree, Grenadier, Frostgrave, Grenadier, Grenadier, GW
The Grenadier have integral bases which raise them up but they are also on thinner Renedra bases which kind of evens them up with the black slotta bases.

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 09:20:14 PM »
The Foundry Copplestone Germans are unfortunately a lot smaller than the Grenadier ones. I picked up a couple of mounted ones to check.  :(

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2019, 09:45:15 PM »
The Foundry Copplestone Germans are unfortunately a lot smaller than the Grenadier ones. I picked up a couple of mounted ones to check.  :(
That's a pity

Black Tree Design Barbarians?

I like them.  They seem often over looked, maybe because of age of the range.
Those look quite good. I imagine they are a similar height to the rest of their range which seems pretty spot on.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2019, 09:57:11 PM »
Hello all!

Long time Copplestone fan here. I started collecting his barbarians around 25 years ago, and own every single one that was released when they were still sold by Grenadier.

From my experience I wholeheartedly recommend

- Bronze Age Miniatures, they have some lovely and very dynamic sculpts in the style of Ralph Bakshi, - Rackham‘s Confrontation Celts are very similar in style, although the older sculpts are imo far superior to the later ones. Here you get all kind of giants, centaurs, very nice warrior maidens and heroes. They do look a bit more cartoonish, though. The drunes from the same manufacturer are perfect Slaine style villains.
- Hasslefree has some barbarians that do fit in style. Mostly characters, though.
- The Conan Kickstarter by Monolith also has a lot of models suitable for Copplestone.

And of course the already mentioned Frostgrave and Foundry models get a thumbs up, too.

Offline Rotorcraft

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 01:24:04 AM »
Barbarians from Asgard Miniatures, some of the best ranges ever created IMHO.

https://www.alternative-armies.com/collections/barbarians-from-asgard

Another Master Copplestone fan here.

Regards.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 01:26:05 AM by Rotorcraft »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 01:30:19 AM »
Thanks but as said in the first post I have some Asgard ones. I also buy their orcs from Vikingforge, some of the best orc/goblins out to date I think.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 08:51:30 PM »
Black Tree Design
Those look quite good. I imagine they are a similar height to the rest of their range which seems pretty spot on.

They are the old Harlequin range.  Only reason I don't have any Barbarians (yet) is I had lots of Celtos.  I do have some figures though from the Fantasy range and they are spot on for my Copplestone\EM4\Grenadier figures.

Hope that helps.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 10:17:48 PM »
Thanks for the size comparison. I’ve been wondering about the Copplestone barbarians as foot soldiers to go with chaos marauder horse, the modern plastic ones. But they’re probably a bit on the slim side.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2019, 08:19:52 AM »
They are the old Harlequin range.  Only reason I don't have any Barbarians (yet) is I had lots of Celtos.  I do have some figures though from the Fantasy range and they are spot on for my Copplestone\EM4\Grenadier figures.

Hope that helps.
I does, thanks. Not all are of a similar style but a good bunch are.

Thanks for the size comparison. I’ve been wondering about the Copplestone barbarians as foot soldiers to go with chaos marauder horse, the modern plastic ones. But they’re probably a bit on the slim side.
I think they would have suited some twenty years ago into chaos but now these muscle bound barbarians aren't muscly enough.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2019, 10:27:12 AM »
Foundry germans are smaller than most Grenadier barbarians, but so are the Frostgrave ones (also check the new metal female warriors). Yet, being the same style some miniatures fit perfectly together. Also because some Grenadier barbarians are slimmer than others.
Some of the Foundry vikings, most notably the naked berserkers, were based on Copplestone dollies with new heads by Mark Simms. I use them together in different units. Foundry are normal armed villagers and levies while the Barbarians are the warrior elite.

Warlord also has ancient germans and the metal ones are by Steve Saleh and very nice. The characters are nice. Saleh also has his own range, Lucid Eye, with cavemen, cro-magnons and amazons that may fit. They are on the biiger side though.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2019, 10:44:49 AM »
I’ve been wondering about the Copplestone barbarians as foot soldiers to go with chaos marauder horse, the modern plastic ones. But they’re probably a bit on the slim side.

I haven't seen the new plastic marauder horse live in person, so cannot comment on the compatibility, but I would assume that they are on the big side.

However, I have been thinking of doing a chaos-style force centered around the old Copplestone and Grenadier models. The barbarians would make for great marauders, and they also have cavalry options (the horses from the 1400-series tend to be a bit on the small side, though) and an ogre-sized dude, while the not-so-originally named "Evil foot knights" (available from Mirliton) would make for impressive chaos forces. I have also got a nice giant and three minotaurs from another Grenadier series from the same era, and two big Reaper-series werewolves for additional monsters (from the Bones-series, no idea how that material paints up).

I also have somewhere a pile of Blade Maidens from the old Chronopia Sons of Kronos range, sculpted by Kev White. These are much more slender than the rest of Chronopia range, and will hopefully look decent on their own unit next to Copplestone barbarians, though I would not try mixing the two in the same unit. I don't think anybody has been manufacturing these for a long time, though.

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2019, 09:07:42 PM »
Something like this? That's my small army for Dragont Rampant that I'd be upgrading for the incoming SAGA Fantasy version

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2019, 10:31:01 PM »
Something like this? That's my small army for Dragont Rampant that I'd be upgrading for the incoming SAGA Fantasy version

Fantastic.