Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:14:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy romans  (Read 18142 times)

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
Re: Fantasy romans
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2021, 08:25:11 PM »
Last year I started collecting 60mm plastics from Expeditionary Force, and I have found resizing the typical 28mm-32mm figure by 185% works pretty well.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2021, 02:52:24 AM »
Not my cup of tea at all. But each to their own.
But I will say: The painted lady figure's sword/kopis is backwards.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2021, 09:47:19 AM »
Excellent design. Fantasy or not I'd be happy to use them for a historical skirmish game. Keep up the good work and best wishes for your project.

Offline RomanFan

• Lurker
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2023, 11:38:07 PM »
I found you while searching for roman miniatures and your are the best i I have ever seen. I am really interested in stl files and hope you will contact me (sent you also PM)...

Offline VonMoltke

• Librarian
« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2023, 09:49:18 AM »
After a long time some test WIPs playing around in the last months
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 09:51:30 AM by VonMoltke »

Offline Karadek

• Scientist
    • Xenia Gamers Club
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2023, 12:50:02 PM »
Man, I'm digging all of these designs. If they ever come to fruition, I'd be interested.

The legs all seem a trifle too short, though. Still awesome, just an observation.

Offline Porsenna

• Assistant
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2023, 03:33:14 AM »
Wow! These look great! (I have a really keen love of the scale armor centurion)

I don't do much with 3D printing, but I may well do that with these if they become available.

Might even be worth looking to see if you can partner with one of the plastics producers (War Games Atlantic, Archon, Renedra) and a company that already does distribution to do a kickstarter.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2023, 11:18:39 AM »
But I will say: The painted lady figure's sword/kopis is backwards.
That's cos it's a sica, as used by the Thraex or Thracian style of gladiator.
https://www.kultofathena.com/product/gladiatorial-sica-sword/
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 02:08:34 PM by JollyBob »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2023, 04:42:48 PM »
Man, I'm digging all of these designs. If they ever come to fruition, I'd be interested.

The legs all seem a trifle too short, though. Still awesome, just an observation.
They appear to be missing a pelvis, in the sense that their thighs seemingly begin at the waist. Not that you'd really notice on the tabletop.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2023, 10:54:01 PM »
My honest critique.

Overall I like the level of detail you have put in and the expression of the faces. The helmets are particularly impressive.
I can’t really understand the term fantasy. The minis are basically standard Romans. Maybe a mix of different historical periods of the empire but so close together that I would characterise them as ‘’not extensively historically accurate’’ not fantasy. If you wanted a fantasy vibe you should exaggerate some elements or add additional designs that would keep the Roman theme but make the minis hard to be placed historically.

I don’t really like the stumpy anatomical proportions. I understand that there is a long established style from the 80’s and 90’s old school minis, but I think that there is a middle ground that allows you to depict normal people instead of dwarves, without being forced to use 100% true scale that can result to tiny and difficult to paint faces and hands/feet.
The best way to avoid anatomical fall pits is to design the bodies in a naked state and then proceeding to dress them with their equipment.
Just my 2 cents

Offline nedius

• Librarian
« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2023, 09:44:34 AM »
After a long time some test WIPs playing around in the last months

Hi there,

I've been looking for some heroic scale romans, and these look perfect!! You've done an amazing job. I was a bit disheartened to see a lot of the work was done in 2019 and can't see if it went anywhere after that? Then I note your more recent post was a few months back - is this still being worked on?

Did the stls ever get put somewhere? Or might I get a sample?