Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:03:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690924
  • Total Topics: 118358
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Revamped Dinky Saracens  (Read 3012 times)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Revamped Dinky Saracens
« on: January 25, 2019, 01:12:49 PM »
Here are a couple of old Dinky diecast toys. Replaced broken MGs and gave them a repaint, pinwash and drybrush. With a few exceptions the Dinky stuff is 1/60 scale and in my opinion they make nice robust wargames models.

I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Revamped Dinky Saracens
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 02:32:18 PM »
Yep, just got a couple in the mail today done as "African" generic.

Where did you source gun barrels?
Cheers,
Poiter50

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 09:57:07 PM »
Well impressed, especially as you are doing them for me.
I had a hankering for the toys of my youth & my friend (Vodkafan)
has done all the work.
Now I am starting to think how best to use them in a wargaming setting.
Possibles (so far) are:-
Northern Ireland (anti IRA); West Germany (cold war gone hot); UNIT (Dr Who);
Winter of Discontent (Civil unrest) or Zombie fighting.
Has anyone got any other ideas?

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 10:20:11 PM »
As a kid, back in the fifties, I always wanted the Centurion. Far too expensive. And the tank transporter? Way out of reach.

Anyone know what scale those two items are? I could use some Centurions in imagi-nations Africa.

Love these Saracens.....they look the biz.....daft question but what’s a pinwash?

Doug

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 10:58:45 PM »
I gleaned five of those Dinky Saracens off fleabay. Two were going to be tickled up like vodkafan's, the other three, sprayed sand and brown for our 'Wild Geese' games.
Then the lad's father in law picked himself in, sad bastard's an anorak type expert, in original unmended/mucked about with Dinly toys...
he sniffed at 'em (???  :?) then checked the wheels and pronounced them 100% original and issued a no tampering imperial decree!
I gently pointed out to the senile old duffer that the toys were actually mine, but I've now bottled out attacking 'em with spraypaint and pinwash*.

:'(

* For the uneducated among us I will translate... a pinwash is a black/dark brown wash that brings out all the nice detail you can see on vodkafan's excellently painted, but now totally worthless, toy APCs!

:P

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 11:01:03 PM »
As a kid, back in the fifties, I always wanted the Centurion. Far too expensive. And the tank transporter? Way out of reach.

Anyone know what scale those two items are? I could use some Centurions in imagi-nations Africa.

Love these Saracens.....they look the biz.....daft question but what’s a pinwash?

Doug

The Dinky centurion is horrible, really horrible,  :o :o  get the Corgi one, it is also 1/60  (I have measured it) and will match all the Dinky post war stuff except the Ferret, which is 1/48...
a pinwash is where you don't do an all -over wash (which darkens the whole thing) but take a thin brush and just go around all the panel lines and raised detail with thinned down darker shade...it is slightly time consuming but I like it because it is more controlled...really makes the detail pop with a subtle drybrush afterwards.   

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 11:03:55 PM »
Yep, just got a couple in the mail today done as "African" generic.

Where did you source gun barrels?

Poiter, well spotted sir! The gun barrels are actual .30 cal barrels I sawed off TAG M1919 MGs (they do a pack of 4). Nothing will be wasted because I can scratchbuild jacketed barrels and convert them into the water cooled version...

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 11:08:19 PM »
I gleaned five of those Dinky Saracens off fleabay. Two were going to be tickled up like vodkafan's, the other three, sprayed sand and brown for our 'Wild Geese' games.

Harry, many more revamped Dinkys to come...some of them I have changed the wheels  on to make them more realistic for wargames use...I purposely buy the beat up/missing /bent wheels broken crap ones .

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 11:28:32 PM »
Here's what I did with the Dinky 10 tonner...wheels were totally missing so had build a sort of support box for the front wheels (other wise you can see right through from one side to the other)

I have no idea what I am doing, I am learning how to scratchbuild as I go along.  :D

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 11:33:39 PM »
"I purposely buy the beat up/missing /bent wheels broken crap ones."

That's wot I thought I was doing with mine!
Yet, when No.1 son's father in law spotted the stick on transfers he nearly laid an egg... "You never see them these days with the original decals," he trilled (decals, they're gummed stickers!!!). I've got that paranoid about wrecking these priceless artefacts I've bought a couple of resin kits for the desert Saracens I need... there's just something about the Saracen that just looks so right.

:-*
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 11:35:33 PM by Harry Faversham »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 12:14:50 AM »
"I purposely buy the beat up/missing /bent wheels broken crap ones."

That's wot I thought I was doing with mine!
Yet, when No.1 son's father in law spotted the stick on transfers he nearly laid an egg... "You never see them these days with the original decals," he trilled (decals, they're gummed stickers!!!). I've got that paranoid about wrecking these priceless artefacts I've bought a couple of resin kits for the desert Saracens I need... there's just something about the Saracen that just looks so right.

The way I look at it...when I gleefully destroy the value of the ones I repaint and cut about, I actually increase the value of the pristine examples that collectors just want to keep in a box. 

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 01:34:16 AM »
Wonder what David Dickinson would say about it 😁 he looks like he’s spent years in the desert . 😎

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 03:07:10 AM »
resin kits for the desert Saracens? Tell me more.

Side note, did they serve in Malaya and Borneo as well? Konfrontasi!

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 05:22:37 AM »
The Saracen served in the Malayan Emergency and I believe some were deployed to Borneo too.
There you go old bean...

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 05:29:56 AM »
The way I look at it...when I gleefully destroy the value of the ones I repaint and cut about, I actually increase the value of the pristine examples that collectors just want to keep in a box.

VF, looking forward to seeing the vehicles in action, your games with has.been are a feast for the eyes. I always spot some bright idea worth nicking when I drool over the piccys!