Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:49:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: KNIGHTFALL Season 2 now available on NETFLIX  (Read 11382 times)

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
KNIGHTFALL Season 2 now available on NETFLIX
« on: January 28, 2019, 11:13:43 PM »
I'm a long-time Medieval wargamer who works as a screenwriter and TV writer-producer.

I had nothing to do with the creation of Knightfall or the writing and production of its first season, but I was heavily involved in the upcoming Season 2, which will premiere soon on History.

As a lifelong devotee of Medieval history, this job was a bit of a dream come true. We took a somewhat different approach to the material from the creative team on Season 1, but the characters and their stories do pick up right where the first season left off.

If interested in learning a bit more about the coming season (but no plot-spoilers!) and seeing a bunch of early 14th Century France behind-the-scenes photos, CLICK on the link to visit my recent blog post, and thanks in advance for your time should you do so…

BLOG LINK:
https://maiwandday.blogspot.com/2019/01/medieval-gaming-at-11-scale.html

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 08:09:01 PM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Online Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
Re: Coming Soon: KNIGHTFALL Season 2
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 10:19:15 AM »
Nice pictures and definitely a usefull resource should anyone be building a medieval castle :)

For the next season you really should advise the modelmakers to go for 1/56 scale :p

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 03:01:35 PM »
I tried to watch Season 1. It was awful. Really, really awful. I couldn't stand the nonsense nor the innaccuracies.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 08:35:29 PM »
Thanks, Munindk -- and if it does go to Season 3, I may try that!

Antonio: As mentioned on my blog, this upcoming Season 2 is very different from the season you tried to watch but couldn't.  Obviously I can't really be a neutral judge, BUT I can promise you that what I believe you are referring to as "the nonsense" we dropped from the story.  Re: "inaccuracies," as also mentioned on my blog, it's not a docudrama, and certain details in Season Two take liberties with the historical record, but compared with Season One, the overall tone is much grittier, and I think we paid more attention to historical accuracy -- again, with the caveat that it is a drama first and foremost.

No pressure to watch, but if you enjoy Medieval historical fiction, and especially if you're interested in the fall of the Templars and "Friday the 13th, 1307" (also if you liked reading "The Cursed Kings," which covers similar historical ground), I'd say it's worth another try.  The first 3 episodes cover a nice character arc for the hero, and by then you'll definitely know if Season Two is worth continuing to watch... or just a different version of something you don't like.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 10:19:45 PM by Mad Guru »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 02:31:27 AM »
Fantastic pictures on your blog; the buildings are particularly inspirational for those of us who like to make terrain .

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 10:40:15 PM »
Great pics, especially those of the sets and miniatures.
I must admit i was not a fan of the first season. I watched it only because im a sucker for period and fantasy drama and i will watch almost everything from Ator to GoT   lol. I wanted it to be good, but not only it failed to be a serious period drama, it also failed to be a guilty pleasure like Spartacus or the first three periods of Vikings.

But Im willing to give it another chance. I mean Black sails started in the rather campy vein of Spartacus but in the end it evolved to something alot more serious with a great closure. So there is always room for improvement and surprise. Your reference of the Accursed kings already intrigued me.

Offline Mrs. Esterhouse

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 10:50:43 PM »
Hated the first season with all its soap operaness and thoroughly disliked the protagonist but stuck with it since the aesthetics were pretty good and the girlfriend liked it. Will give season 2 a chance. Heres hoping you did something good with it!

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 04:56:23 AM »
Thanks very much, guys!  Of course it's virtually impossible for me to be an objective judge of such things, but there's no doubt this second season is much more grounded and gritty, not just in the writing but also in the look and visual style.  As Mrs. Esterhouse says, the Aesthetics of Season One -- which I take as referring to the production design of the buildings, sets, costumes, etc -- was very impressive, and the same people were involved this time around.  We just took a different approach to putting their amazing work on film, so to speak.  (No real film involved of course, just digital pixels!). As a lifelong student of Late Medieval Europe, I can say that we used as many primary sources as possible in an effort to connect the characters and their stories to the period, as well as having the useful services of more than one academic historical consultant.  There are some big "soap opera" elements -- or maybe more accurately, old school "opera" elements, that are part of the mix, but they don't come a mile a minute, they are introduced, and then developed, and they take the story where where it goes.  I hope you guys all enjoy it... but if not, you can blame me!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 05:03:05 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline Bloodsbane

• Scientist
  • AKA FKSN
    • I'm a drawer
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 05:14:11 PM »
Well, you've got me convinced to give it a second try - and I didn't even make it through the opening scene. "Where's he going? The boat will leave without us!" *click*

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 02:16:38 AM »
Thanks, Bloodsbane, I hear you Re: that Season One opening sequence.  Hope I don't steer you wrong!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 08:33:43 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 12:38:19 PM »
I watched the first season and wanted to like it really bad. I guess it was alright but I recently tried to watch it a second time and I just couldnt. Hopefully the second season will be quite the improvement. Gritty does sound good to get the ball rolling in the right direction.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 10:38:51 PM »
Breazer, I can assure you that Season Two is significantly different from Season One, though as mentioned on my blog it does pick up the story of the same characters right where they left off at the end of the first season.

Offline Mrs. Esterhouse

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 03:51:31 AM »
Just saw a preview for season 2. Now I’m stoked to see it after learning of the addition of a certain actor to the cast.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 05:17:51 AM »
Glad to hear it, Mrs. Estherhouse!

Mark Hamil turned out to be a big-hearted and generous true gentleman, who showed up every day ready to work, no matter how physically challenging it might be.  And on this show, between the smoke, rain, mud, horses, fight choreography, and then the bitter cold, it was often quite challenging.  I've been a writer and producer in movies and TV for more than a quarter-century, and he had one of the best attitudes of any actor I've ever worked with.

RE: the protagonist... hoping you meant you disliked the character being portrayed, who was certainly quite flawed, rather than the actor himself.  If it's the character with his flaws, fear not, much of Season Two is spent forcing him to own up to, and suffer for, the sins of his past.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 10:37:19 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline Mrs. Esterhouse

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 05:45:58 AM »
Glad to hear good things about Mr. Hamil. Always been a fan.

Nothing against the actor playing the protagonist. Mr. Cullen certainly portrayed him quite well.

*SPOILER* for anyone who hasn’t watched season 1

Just have no tolerance for chaps that bang their friends old lady. Also thought it was a dick move not letting Gawain use the grail to heal his old wound which he got while protecting him when he was willing to use it to heal his dying mistress.