Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:50:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: KNIGHTFALL Season 2 now available on NETFLIX  (Read 11271 times)

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
Re: Coming Soon: KNIGHTFALL Season 2
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 08:45:48 AM »
Mark Hamil is generally underused, and im not some kind of starwars fanboy. Its good to see him in more things.

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 03:55:02 PM »
Ethan

Just watched the last two episodes on Netflix while on holiday in Hong Kong.my first love for miniatures is the crusades this wasn't so bad if you take out some of the scenes with the queen / pope/ assassins creed person etc.
I'm sure with your input it might get a bit more of the details correct albeit it is made for a more general viewer than us history buffs.

Looking forward too seeing which direction season 2 went in.

Best regards

Willie

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 05:17:20 AM »
Willie, great to hear from you, my friend, and thanks for your enthusiasm Re: the upcoming Season 2!  Holiday in HK sounds awesome; haven't been there myself since before the handover in '97.  I actually just rewatched all of Season Two from start to finish.  As you rightly say, it is not written or produced for a purely "history buff" audience, and does take liberties with various details for dramatic purposes.  But we did our best to make the characters' mindsets and belief systems, and the setting itself, fit into our understanding of early 14th Century France -- despite the cast's various British accents!  Hope you enjoy it when the time comes, and if not, I will pick up the tab the next time we are lucky enough to meet in person!
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 01:00:20 AM »
OFFICIAL TRAILER for Knightfall Season 2 just uploaded to YouTube, featuring 2+ mins of footage from the coming season...

https://youtu.be/PIp1HInSTTE

Offline Veteran Sergeant

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 03:18:13 AM »
I mean Black sails started in the rather campy vein of Spartacus but in the end it evolved to something alot more serious with a great closure. So there is always room for improvement and surprise. Your reference of the Accursed kings already intrigued me.
I guess I'm the one weirdo who thought it was better as what it started out as.  A prequel to Treasure Island, which is itself a somewhat campy pirate romp adventure story.  I found the final two seasons incredibly dreary and tedious.   And poor Ray Stevenson, who was so excellent in Rome, was completely wasted as Blackbeard, like they just hired him so they had production stills of Ray Stevenson as a pirate. 

I may try out season 2 of Knightfall.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 12:39:04 PM »
I also crashed out of series 1, but will give it another crack.

Out of professional interest, who were your historical advisors, Ethan?

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2019, 07:53:24 AM »
Hi Janner,

Associate Professor Jason Glenn, Ph.D Medieval History, who teaches at USC (University of Southern California), and has written several Medieval history books; and author/historian Dan Jones from the UK, who served as the historical consultant for Season One.

Hope you will like Season Two enough to stick with it.  Most of all it's a character and action drama, and as I've said before, it includes a number of historical inaccuracies.  But we tried to stay true to our understanding of early 14th Century France, including the spirit (though not all the details) of the dynamics at work between the Templars, the Papacy, and the French Crown -- and I made sure there were mantlets for the siege!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 08:42:59 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2019, 02:10:04 PM »
Yes, I know the name, but we've never run into one another. Glad to hear that you were happy with his guidance - I don't envy him (or you) having to cooperate with Janes though  lol

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2019, 12:47:41 AM »
I can only guess that providing consulting services to a show, or movie must be one of those very strange situations for a historian. Like dating a woman that you know she is out of your league and in the end it will only end in tears, but you let yourself get carried away anyway.
At first you have a very exciting project, probably the chance to work with famous people that you might even be a fan of and get well payed on top of that. Then you get to meet the reality of financial and creative reasons for taking.... Afew liberties and by the time the angry mob of history buffs and colleagues come against you, you realise that maybe the classroom or the occasional speach is all the excitement you really need  ;D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 08:35:32 AM by Captain Harlock »

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2019, 05:42:19 AM »
You have to approach these things with more than a little pragmatiscm. A certain Blackadder Goes Forth quote comes to mind:

"Clearly, Field Marshal Haig is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to Berlin!"

lol lol

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2019, 05:51:00 AM »
I tried to watch Season 1. It was awful. Really, really awful. I couldn't stand the nonsense nor the innaccuracies.

I felt the same way.I was really looking forward to it and was highly disappointed.
Mark

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2019, 06:04:35 AM »
I guess I'm the one weirdo who thought it was better as what it started out as.  A prequel to Treasure Island, which is itself a somewhat campy pirate romp adventure story.  I found the final two seasons incredibly dreary and tedious.   And poor Ray Stevenson, who was so excellent in Rome, was completely wasted as Blackbeard, like they just hired him so they had production stills of Ray Stevenson as a pirate. 

I may try out season 2 of Knightfall.

I liked Black Sails from the beginning but I really didn't like the end but I think it was a quality show.Will also give Knightfall a second chance.
Mark.
Mark

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2019, 08:36:26 AM »
You have to approach these things with more than a little pragmatiscm. A certain Blackadder Goes Forth quote comes to mind:

"Clearly, Field Marshal Haig is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to Berlin!"

lol lol

lol

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Re: UK PREMIERE Tues July 2nd: KNIGHTFALL Season 2
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2019, 08:45:37 AM »

In case any UK-based LAFers are interested, Season 2 of KNIGHTFALL will be premiering on History UK on Tuesday July 2nd at 9:00pm.

As mentioned previously in this thread, it's a bit grittier than Season One, with more focus on the daily lives of the Templars and more attention paid to the religious/spiritual lives of the Brothers themselves.  It picks up right where the previous season ended, but if you never watched any of Season 1, you can still enjoy Season 2, as it tells a self-contained story, centered around the growing conflict between the Templars and the French monarchy, with new characters added on both sides.  It's not a docudrama, and takes liberties with some details of the early 14th Century historical record, but it tries to reflect the period and to accurately portray some of the dynamics which led to the downfall of the Temple.

I'm not an objective judge, but it features some excellent performances and production design.

On the Medieval Geek front, some highlights of Season 2 include: Templar Initiate training, Luciferian heretics, lo schiaffo di Anagni ("the Anagni slap"), Leper Knights of Saint Lazarus, a decent-sized siege, and l'affaire de la tour de Nesle ("the Tower de Nesle affair").

Hope you enjoy it if you watch!

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 08:01:48 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline Phil Portway

• Mastermind
Re: KNIGHTFALL Season 2 - UK PREMIERE Tues July 2
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2019, 10:24:59 PM »
Looks Awesome
 :o :o :o :o :o
If it isn't enjoyable, it isn't gaming!