Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:18:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690961
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Which rules?  (Read 5180 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Which rules?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 09:31:44 PM »
 lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline StoneMtnMinis

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
  • When in the course of Human Events
    • Stone Mountain Miniatures, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 01:26:28 AM »
Well, I asked and I received.  :D

On a different tact, what would be the recomendation for a Lost World type adventure, given the same parameters previousily mentioned?  Pulp Alley, or something else for this specific genre?
Dave
Stone Mountain Miniatures, Inc.
www.WargamingMiniatures.com

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2019, 02:38:39 AM »
Pulp Alley has a couple of scenario books along that very line - “Perilous Island” and the “Lost World of Lemuria” setting.

Both well worth a look.
Enjoying the game is ALWAYS more important than winning the game.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 02:40:23 AM »
Well, I am probably one of the most vocal proponents of Pulp Alley for any genre.

I have personally run/played PA games with:

Pulp
Post-Apocalyptic
Western
Victorian Sci-Fi
Colonial
Modern
Space Opera
Prehistoric
Medieval
WW2

So, yeah, Lost World should do fine.  A T-Rex is a fine Terror.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Panama

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2019, 08:44:21 AM »
Did somebody call for me ?

Offline nandrin

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 11:41:16 AM »
I support Pulp Alley and their "Perilous Island" and "Lost World of Lemuria" Campaign Books. Lots of great scenarios!

Not really Lost World, more like "Dinos & Nazis": Picture of our own Campaign

nandrin
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 02:26:05 PM by nandrin »

Offline Ricco

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 04:21:16 PM »
I have had a bit of fun with Pulp Alley. 

Having said that I prefer Rugged Adventures - free from Pulp Figures. It has more of a "wargame" feel to it but still very open/fun/anything can happen cup of tea sorta thing.

My favoritist, most fun of all-time pulp game is Pasha Hutters' unpublished "Mongols and Mausers"etc. Total wonderful sillyness adventure tres heroic.
Shit Keith ... Not another stinkin air war game!!!!!

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2019, 04:56:47 PM »
Pulp Alley fits perfectly but I think we can also mention "Fistful of Lead: Galactic Heroes" which can very well adapt to pulp, even if it is originally intended for sci-fi.

I've used Fistful of Lead for Pulp style games too. It's another nicely flowing, easy to pick up but with lots of options, type game too.

Offline Charles92027

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2019, 10:59:24 PM »
My vote for Pulp Alley as well.

I really like the mechanics for Rangers of Shadow Deep/Frostgrave. I started tinkering with them for pulp, eliminating magic and modernizing weapons and such.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2019, 04:09:57 AM »
Looking at a multi-player pulp adventure for the local club.  Which rules and locals would you recomend for this type of game.  Prefer something simple to intro the members to this period/area.

Obviously you got your answer. But I'm going to list a few Pulp rules so that you can look at them for ideas or other resources such as campaigns:

1. Pulp Alley (doh!), and get the Pulp Leagues booklet too.

2. .45 Adventures from Rattrap Productions (seemed to be most popular the previous decade), and check out the free download demo rules in various pulpy genres. This system uses d10 with modifiers, and has more detail for specific weapons and wound locations. So it seems like Pulp from a wargamer heritage.

3. Astounding Tales by Howard Whitehouse.

4. Rugged Adventures by Bob Murch of Pulp Figures fame.

5. Savage Worlds. I've only seen one guy adapt this light RPG to use with miniatures. The system is actually pretty good, using various die sizes in a different way from Pulp Alley. There are some good ideas, including use of a mix of advantages and disadvantages in character creation. Because it's a light RPG, it's designed to use a game master. So it's less flexible than Pulp Alley in terms of being useful for anything from solo to GM directed play. Note that Savage Worlds publishes a couple of Pulp era campaign books that could be adapted for use with other rules.

6. In Her Majesty's Name, a VSF skirmish system that clearly has a wargamer heritage. Normally using groups of up to about 10 characters, I've seen it used with fewer figures for Pulp.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 04:19:48 AM by warrenpeace »
Sailors have more fun!

Offline digid

• Bookworm
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2019, 06:44:43 AM »
It depends, but for 1-3 players our group prefers Pulp Ally.
For 4+ players we like Fist Full of Lead's - Galactic Hero's as it seems to play a better with the larger number of players, and the rules work with pulp just fine.

Out of the two both are similar. Pulp Ally has a little more depth with its peril card mechanism, but we find with more that 3 or 4 players it can slow the game down some.
Galactic Hero's removes the perils cards, so that speeds things up a bit with a large group.

We find most scenarios work well with either game also, so that is a plus. I highly recommend both games.

Dale

Offline gweirda

• Librarian
    • Brawlfactory
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2019, 10:53:00 AM »
Pulp Alley has a little more depth with its peril card mechanism, but we find with more than 3 or 4 players it can slow the game down some.

iirc, Pulp Alley is changing the use of cards for perils by removing the player v player option. Having only a single use for the cards in one's hand (as a reaction to an event/action) eliminates the 'What should I use this card for?' question (reaction or peril?) that -while a potentially interesting decision- doesn't contribute to the game's flow.  I tried it out two weeks ago with a group of four newbies and it did, imo, speed the game noticeably.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2019, 01:08:29 PM »
iirc, Pulp Alley is changing the use of cards for perils by removing the player v player option. Having only a single use for the cards in one's hand (as a reaction to an event/action) eliminates the 'What should I use this card for?' question (reaction or peril?) that -while a potentially interesting decision- doesn't contribute to the game's flow.  I tried it out two weeks ago with a group of four newbies and it did, imo, speed the game noticeably.

That’s interesting - I haven’t been following any discussions of what may happen in the next edition so wasn’t aware of this.

I would think the player v player option would still add to a two player game. More than two players, I can see that ditching it may be an improvement.

Doug

Offline StoneMtnMinis

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
  • When in the course of Human Events
    • Stone Mountain Miniatures, Inc.
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2019, 02:21:42 PM »
Thanks to all for the great input.  It appears I have several choices as far as rules go, now I just have to paint everything.  lol

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2019, 04:53:50 PM »
A bit out of left field, I know, but Pulp Alley may be worth a punt.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 05:49:27 PM by Andrew_McGuire »