Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:28:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (COMMERCIAL) Empress Miniatures' NEW Vietnam Range  (Read 390879 times)

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: (COMMERCIAL) Empress Miniatures' NEW Vietnam Range
« Reply #2820 on: March 10, 2021, 08:55:25 AM »
Ship via a port in West Africa and then on via Gioia Tauro in Italy or even Bulgaria is how the Colombians and Mexicans manage it. Let’s face it, no mule is going to swallow 30 condoms full of miniatures. You might end up paying VAT on the pallets of terracotta tiles or tins of tomatoes the figures come packed in though.  ;)

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2821 on: March 11, 2021, 08:37:49 AM »
We have the armed civilians & local VC.

These figures work for the French Indo China period as well as Vietnam.

Each pack of civilians links to an armed version of the same figure making for interesting scenario options.
This pack is DS10 has 4 armed figures.

Left to right;

Moisin Nagant bolt action rifle Soviet.
Model 1936 CR39 carbine French.
M1 carbine USA.
Lee Enfield No4 MK1 rifle British.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2822 on: March 11, 2021, 09:04:36 AM »
I like those a lot!
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #2823 on: March 11, 2021, 09:05:38 AM »
Sweet!
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2824 on: March 13, 2021, 04:05:14 PM »
I have just received the VC so I now have 8 civilians who can change to VC.
I am very pleased with the figures and the concept.  :-*

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2825 on: March 15, 2021, 08:34:15 AM »
Thanks guys. Glad you like the idea  ;)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #2826 on: March 15, 2021, 08:37:11 AM »
Very Cool.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2827 on: March 16, 2021, 09:37:55 AM »
Cheers. ;)

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2828 on: April 05, 2021, 11:51:18 AM »
Question for the hive mind.

The trumpeter H-34 has a decal set with  a red wings transfer for the nose. See the illustration. Is the number in the middle, 91, a reference to a unit or is it the number for the helicopter so each one has a different number????

Just finishing three of the beasts and would like to know if I need to re number two of them. Hope so as its good for identifying the individual models on the table.

Cheers, Paul.

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #2829 on: April 05, 2021, 12:59:04 PM »
Three at the same time is impressive, I'm just painting one of the Italeri H-34 kits. Lots of swearing involved...

I'd have thought the tail markings would be to ID the squadron and then have a different number for each aircraft, so don't have them all as YS 22 and have a different long number as well, but that's a guess.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 01:26:52 PM by Ash »

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2830 on: April 05, 2021, 01:58:11 PM »
Trust me three of these is life changing.  lol

Its the big red number on the nose cone thats the intriguing one. If its the unit then thats great.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #2831 on: April 05, 2021, 09:19:29 PM »
The usual formula for Marine helicopter squadrons is a two letter tail code that identifies the squadron and a double digit number for the individual bird. You often see that on the tail and nose.

The illustration shows a bird from HMM-162, from the tail code YS. The identifying number of the bird is 22, marked high up on the tail, a common location and in this case above the cargo bay/ cabin. The red winged 91 is a mystery to me. A very similar scheme shows up in footage of UH-34s lifting marines into Santo Domingo in 1965 seen here:

https://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675033534_United-States-Marine-Corps_arrange-equipment_South-Vietnam_Da-Nang

The footage seems to suggest that the winged number matches the individual number of the bird.

More research needed. Might be specific to a wing or a squadron embarked on a given ship.

Now the bad news. First off, HMM -162 departed Vietnam in 1965. They were part of the batch of original marine helicopter squadrons sent to lift SVN troops (Operation Shufly). So  if you are looking for a squadron that operated later in the period to match your troops that isn’t the best choice. Secondly the available photos of HMM-162 in Vietnam don’t show the red wings on the nose. That’s backed up by a comment I read by a guy doing remarkably detailed illustrations of H-34s who suggests the scheme was in use stateside.

Less dramatic but if you want to use that set of decals, you could just omit the wings from the front. You’ll need to come up with variations of the individual aircraft numbers but I’m sure there’s something in the spare decal box.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 09:21:51 PM by carlos marighela »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #2832 on: April 05, 2021, 09:30:23 PM »
By the by what’s the Trumpter kit like? I’ve been eyeing one off locally. I know it’s a rebox but I’m hoping it’s a better build than the Italeri one which I need to repair and finish. I went a bit silly at a recent sale and now have a stash of Vietnam era aircraft, many of dubious usefulness awaiting construction, including an Air America Pilatus Porter and  a T-28 Trojan.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #2833 on: April 05, 2021, 09:36:07 PM »
Stateside at MCAS New River but looks like the number in the red wings is indeed an individual number within the squadron.

https://popasmoke.com/visions/displayimage.php?album=98&pid=5012#top_display_media

There’s also a couple of photos showing HMM-162 birds in Vietnam (no red wings)

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2834 on: April 06, 2021, 10:29:03 AM »
Thats brilliant, but annoying  lol. Great piece of film.

Huge thanks for that. There are two other sets of markings so I had best check those out although they are not as funky.  :-[

The Trumpeter model is VERY good and well detailed. The instructions are good although slightly misleading in parts as they do explain either or parts very well.

Two areas that I had issues with are the dash board and the engine.

Engine. Having taken two hours to make the engine Its not actually shown in the finished model so I do not bother with the other two. However that means that the exhaust does not poke through the hole in the nose cone. Thats can be sorted by using the second nose cone supplied which does not have the hole or simply gluing the exhaust on the onside so its looks right. 

Dashboard. I had a struggle with getting this to fit when the two halves of the body were put together so on two I 'made' it fit. On the third I got a fit but it pushed the cockpit assembly forward ever so slightly so the rear of the cockpit does not fit perfectly , by 2mm , within the housing. This is hidden when the canopy is fitted.  I found swearing helped a lot. ;)

The cockpit seats are also set back a long way so a pilot crew figure sits a long way back and so his feet are a very long way from the pedals. I obviously used Empress crew figure and positioned them slightly forward to a middle position which works well when the canopy is fitted.

Despite this its a great model and worth getting. I just have to work out what the extra bits are all for that are left in the box. I suspect the instructions are not as complete as they were with the original.