Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:07:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686601
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (COMMERCIAL) Empress Miniatures' NEW Vietnam Range  (Read 384989 times)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Empress - Hue 1968 - First Glimpse of the New Range
« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2019, 07:49:49 AM »
Just received an email from Empress, that my minis are on their way!

I need to find them a spot in my painting schedule. As they are not that many, I think that I will stop my other projects for a couple of weeks and paint the US Marines. Thus, I will be ready for the next release. 

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2019, 08:53:26 AM »
WOW  :o This got exciting  lol

I very much enjoyed Bowdens book and look forward to the planned TV series. If it lives up to Band of Brothers I will be very happy.

HOWEVER o_o

The research for this range is not limited to one book or its impending TV series (if it actually happens.) The book is a very good read but is written to be readable to a wider audience than military historians. Its a real page turner. This is usually concerning as it means that the writer 'may' make his most important priority selling copies rather than writing the truth, which may be a little boring. I an not suggesting that this is what the writer did but the greatest complain that I have about the book is what is not mentioned much. That's the part the ARVN played in the battle. Was this because the writer believed his US audience would not be so interested? We can only guess. I like reading Stephen Ambrose books but they are clearly written in a popularist way. Nothing wrong with that but its always in the back of my mind when I read the books.

Please note that the range is not based upon the book but it has been inspirational.

The range is currently Hue. As time goes by it will be other areas of the conflict. If you look back in a few years I would hope that Hue would be a chapter within a large book (range)

However back to the question I asked and the many great ideas.

We are currently sculpting another 30 plus USMC. Next main section will be...................roll of drums............civvies/ armed civvies Fireworks please. 8) These will be carrying older weapons so that they also work for FIC. These will be in a mix of town and country clothes. 

Because of the way we work and to stop sculptors getting bored, we will be continuing USMC at the same time.

After that its whether its ARVN or NVA.    ???

Lastly please do not fall out but play nice. As a company Empress walked away from most forums because of all of the unnecessary attitude. This thread is us coming back for another go. Lets keep it fun Love you all  :) :-*

Cheers, Paul

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2019, 09:05:02 AM »
WOW  :o This got exciting  lol

I very much enjoyed Bowdens book and look forward to the planned TV series. If it lives up to Band of Brothers I will be very happy.

HOWEVER o_o

The research for this range is not limited to one book or its impending TV series (if it actually happens.) The book is a very good read but is written to be readable to a wider audience than military historians. Its a real page turner. This is usually concerning as it means that the writer 'may' make his most important priority selling copies rather than writing the truth, which may be a little boring. I an not suggesting that this is what the writer did but the greatest complain that I have about the book is what is not mentioned much. That's the part the ARVN played in the battle. Was this because the writer believed his US audience would not be so interested? We can only guess. I like reading Stephen Ambrose books but they are clearly written in a popularist way. Nothing wrong with that but its always in the back of my mind when I read the books.

Please note that the range is not based upon the book but it has been inspirational.

The range is currently Hue. As time goes by it will be other areas of the conflict. If you look back in a few years I would hope that Hue would be a chapter within a large book (range)

However back to the question I asked and the many great ideas.

We are currently sculpting another 30 plus USMC. Next main section will be...................roll of drums............civvies/ armed civvies Fireworks please. 8) These will be carrying older weapons so that they also work for FIC. These will be in a mix of town and country clothes. 

Because of the way we work and to stop sculptors getting bored, we will be continuing USMC at the same time.

After that its whether its ARVN or NVA.    ???

Lastly please do not fall out but play nice. As a company Empress walked away from most forums because of all of the unnecessary attitude. This thread is us coming back for another go. Lets keep it fun Love you all  :) :-*

Cheers, Paul

Thanks for the heads up. Paul.

It looks like the range will be comprehensive. As you are focusing on Hue, will you plan including vehicles too? I am thinking Ontos, to be precise.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2019, 09:30:00 AM »
Excellent post Paul
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2019, 09:31:13 AM »
Yes, thanks for the information.

I can understand how it can be exasperating to watch a thread disappear down a fiery rabbit hole. We will try and behave.

I look forward to seeing how this range progresses.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2019, 09:50:29 AM »
I have just bought a secondhand copy of "Ambush Valley: Vietnam 1965-1975 (Force on Force)" so that I can work out some army lists.

...then I will place an order.

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #141 on: March 26, 2019, 10:46:59 AM »
Anyone with TAG Nam figures and the new Empress marines fancy doing a comparison photo?
Really like the look of those marines but only if they look ok next to my NVA/VC
Cheers

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #142 on: March 26, 2019, 10:58:52 AM »
@Steders
"Really like the look of those marines but only if they look ok next to my NVA/VC"

When you game with them, they will usually be at least a foot (30cm) apart, so I am sure that the difference in sculpting style will not be a huge problem.

Offline funky

• Student
« Reply #143 on: March 26, 2019, 11:29:37 AM »
ARVN miniatures are the real missing in action in the market.

and a good patton tank model

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #144 on: March 26, 2019, 12:08:27 PM »
I have just bought a secondhand copy of "Ambush Valley: Vietnam 1965-1975 (Force on Force)" so that I can work out some army lists.

...then I will place an order.

Just be aware that while the authors were on fairly firm ground with the US forces, everything else should be taken with large grains of salt.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2019, 12:10:41 PM »
Just be aware that while the authors were on fairly firm ground with the US forces, everything else should be taken with large grains of salt.

AGREED.  ;)

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #146 on: March 26, 2019, 08:17:38 PM »

I will make a note of that. I am thinking of it as a good starter to the period as I already know the rules.
(actually, it will take me a while to get back into the game and all those reaction effects)

Offline Timotl

• Scientist
« Reply #147 on: March 26, 2019, 11:14:31 PM »
Well, I have loved everything I've seen of this range so far so I'm sure the rest will be great too! I'd love to get painting on those infantry....they look so damn good. I know others have asked for command and medics for the USMC, which I second. I'd also like to see some more "disheveled" looking Marines. Like they've been at it a while. Shirts off, no helmets, pants over their boots, that sort of thing. Could help to lend variety to the infantry too....

Offline 88D

• Scientist
« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2019, 01:50:42 AM »
ARVN miniatures are the real missing in action in the market.

and a good patton tank model
Amen to that.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2019, 02:07:50 AM »
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous