Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:06:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (COMMERCIAL) Empress Miniatures' NEW Vietnam Range  (Read 384891 times)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Empress - Hue 1968 - First Glimpse of the New Range
« Reply #240 on: April 12, 2019, 11:16:45 AM »
Agreed with Empress. I ordered 1 pack each M79s and M60s; with that I will have enough for a couple of platoons. Also, the spares come handy to depict scenarios where you want a reinforced platoon, or perhaps a firebase under attack, ecc. Better to have more than less
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 11:20:37 AM by Antonio J Carrasco »

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #241 on: April 12, 2019, 11:25:38 AM »
I personally also like availability by weapon. The variation in rule organisation, etc makes it difficult to keep everyone happy otherwise.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #242 on: April 12, 2019, 01:14:03 PM »
Multiple poses are good. It also means not having to buy the same pack multiple times for just one figure (mumble mumble early war, late war....).

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #243 on: April 12, 2019, 11:29:07 PM »
I don’t mind the weapons packs. There were, at TO&E paper strength, 3X M-79s in a USMC rifle platoon. Strictly speaking, there were no M-60s, these were attached from the company weapons platoon which held six, although, typically, they were parcelled out by pairs to each rifle platoon, two guns and crews to each of the three platoons.

If you want to field a full, TO&E, marine rifle platoon plus guns you are looking at around 55 figures by the time you add in the attached gun crews. With that in mind, having one extra M-79 and one extra M-60 hardly seems a great impost does it?

Having chaps firing LAWs/ SRAAWs is nice but I still think you would do well to sell an accessories pack or two with LAWS, extra water bottles, claymore bags and the like. Then folk can individualise the figures even further. No biggy if you don’t. There are existing sources for those of us that like doing conversions/ customisations.

Like the latest figure but one point, can we have less helmets with foliage bands? Photos of Hue and elsewhere do show them of course but typically, the Marines didn’t use them, another distinction vis a vis the US Army.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Suetonius Paullinus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #244 on: April 13, 2019, 06:26:13 AM »
I quite enjoy the foliage bands as they look so typical for Vietnam.
But indeed in many pictures taken during the battle of Hue are marines without them. I definitely would like a set or two of separate heads so one can customise. Pretty please  :)

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #245 on: April 13, 2019, 06:47:36 AM »
But indeed in many pictures taken during the battle of Hue are marines without them. I definitely would like a set or two of separate heads so one can customise. Pretty please  :)

On it;) but not the separate heads.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #246 on: April 13, 2019, 07:46:23 AM »
Attaboy!
 8)
But pleeeeeaaaase do separate heads as well. Just a few bare ones, generic covered helmets and boonie hats... :-*

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #247 on: April 14, 2019, 10:34:54 AM »
Time for another sculpt.

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #248 on: April 14, 2019, 12:37:02 PM »

I just assumed these sculpts were generic "grunts". Is there anything about them that makes them unauthentic for US Army?

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #249 on: April 14, 2019, 12:49:22 PM »
Someone more knowledgeable might correct me but IIRC, fragmentation vests and respirator cases are associated with the USMC in Hue.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #250 on: April 14, 2019, 12:49:58 PM »
I’m not aware of army units wearing the M-1955 flak vest.
They had the M-1969 vest with the stand up collar later but I’m not sure army units would have been issued body armour as standard at this stage.
But I’m sure there are more qualified people here to answer your question  ;)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #251 on: April 14, 2019, 03:12:58 PM »
On the subject of respirators, will there be heads with respirators? Osprey's Campaign 4 mentions the use of CS grenades during Hue and hence the requirement to be wearing the masks.

Of course YMMV.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #252 on: April 14, 2019, 04:01:40 PM »
Someone more knowledgeable might correct me but IIRC, fragmentation vests and respirator cases are associated with the USMC in Hue.

They are but only in the sense that they are associated with the marines, whose use of body army was widespread, near universal, for the whole war. There were instances of the marines not using body armour but for the most part they wore it, even in the face of the higher risk of heat casualties.

The army didn’t wear the M-1955 vest for the simple reason that it was a USMC specific item. They did wear the not dissimilar M-1952 but far less frequently than the marines.

Respirator cases as a standard item seems less common from photographic evidence. That said the case could be used for carrying other kit, in the same way as used claymore bags could. As an aside I have an old claymore bag I used to use as a man bag.

Online traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #253 on: April 14, 2019, 04:10:39 PM »
Just thinking about when Paul will start on the VC.....I understand they used armbands to identify themselves to the civilians of Hue. It would be great if you could sculpt these so that we don’t need to attach them, it is really fiddly work  ;)....

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #254 on: April 14, 2019, 04:15:11 PM »
They are but only in the sense that they are associated with the marines, whose use of body army was widespread, near universal, for the whole war. There were instances of the marines not using body armour but for the most part they wore it, even in the face of the higher risk of heat casualties.

The army didn’t wear the M-1955 vest for the simple reason that it was a USMC specific item. They did wear the not dissimilar M-1952 but far less frequently than the marines.

Respirator cases as a standard item seems less common from photographic evidence. That said the case could be used for carrying other kit, in the same way as used claymore bags could. As an aside I have an old claymore bag I used to use as a man bag.

Thanks Carlos, for the correction/clarification and extra info