Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:43:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (COMMERCIAL) Empress Miniatures' NEW Vietnam Range  (Read 384959 times)

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
Re: (COMMERCIAL) Empress Miniatures' NEW Vietnam Range
« Reply #1245 on: September 26, 2019, 07:39:03 AM »
Wow  :o
What a beautiful range, this has got to be the best looking post WWII range I have seen to date. There's nothing like a range of figures that really captures the feel of a period to re-kindle interest  8)

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #1246 on: September 26, 2019, 08:50:04 AM »
Funny enough, i was talking to a colleague of mine today, she had seen me reading Streets of Fire on Hue, and said her parents were from Vietnam, so it appears they are from Quang Ninh near Hanoi, and her Mother was deaf due to American Bombing on her village, and her dad was in the NVA and fought in the South, but they left on a Boat after reunification, as evidently the place was poor as hell, anyway seeing im probably going off topic, i asked he if she could ask her Dad what he wore etc, she then proceeded to show me one pic of him on her phone, in a almost white uniform and a i presume an american soft cap, he fought down south in the period we are interested in, so will try to find out more about uniforms etc, ran a chip shop here until the early 2000s funny from NVA to chip fryer.

Cool!

Of course on the other side of the world, it’s a little more common place. There’s hardly a bakery in Melb and probably much of the rest of the East coast that isn’t Vietnamese run or owned, an overwhelmingly good thing. If your wife or workmate gets their nails done, then there’s something like a 90% chance it happened in a Vietnamese run establishment and we have a number of suburbs where the population is largely Vietnamese migrants and their offspring , with nearly every shop Vietnamese owned.

The banh mi has pretty much become the national sandwich of choice and phở, the light lunch of choice. Vietnamese food, in case you haven’t tried, it is one of the great cuisines of the world. Infinite variety, flavour and subtlety. Whilst it was a shitty thing for those caught up in it, the fall of the South enriched this country no end.

Interestingly enough, few people realise that there were a significant number of NLF supporters, who ended up fleeing Vietnam post-reunification. The NLF always had a disparate base and many fell out with the Hanoi regime and its underlings in the South. A number ended up here. They tend to stay quiet about it as most of the older generation are still quite anti-communist.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #1247 on: September 26, 2019, 09:11:34 AM »
Right? We have a pretty big Viet population here on the west coast of the U.S.. I belive Vietnamese is the 3rd most spoken language in ether Washington or Oregon.
Got a decent population here in Vegas to. And one of the guys I was in the army with family moved to the U.S. after the war. His dad spent 3 years in a reeducation camp after the war.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1248 on: September 26, 2019, 12:10:46 PM »
Wow  :o
What a beautiful range, this has got to be the best looking post WWII range I have seen to date. There's nothing like a range of figures that really captures the feel of a period to re-kindle interest  8)

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Praise indeed. Thanks Lance  :-*

Offline manchesterreg

• Librarian
« Reply #1249 on: September 26, 2019, 08:11:18 PM »
So, continuing my NVA Fish n Chip story, i met up with her Mum and Dad, both delightfully bonkers, her Mum certainly had a bee in her Bonnet about the Americans bombing her village (as you would) however the historian (me) asked her about defending her village, id seen pictures and film of all the villagers running out and shooting at the bombers, i think she thought i was mad, as she said they all ran to shelter when the planes came, so maybe its a bit of propaganda.

The Father didnt really want to talk about his time down South, and really all i could glean was, how the officers got all the good stuff, and he had the same uniform all war, and had to make and mend or wear captured stuff, and he was glad he was a radio man otherwise he would not be here.

He left Vietnam as the village was worse after the war, and the big men as he called them robbed them all the time, so thats it, but never thought id meet a NVA man in Manchester

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1250 on: September 27, 2019, 09:08:37 AM »
Todays NVA is Nguyen.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #1251 on: September 27, 2019, 10:41:27 AM »
Amazing! Also nice for conversions in case someone wants a belt fed RPD.  :D
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #1252 on: September 27, 2019, 11:27:12 AM »
Amazing! Also nice for conversions in case someone wants a belt fed RPD.  :D

I think my 28mm Rhodesians will get some Selous Scouts out of these chaps...

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #1253 on: September 27, 2019, 12:15:05 PM »
Spot on! Lovely figure.

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1254 on: September 27, 2019, 01:00:05 PM »
Cheers guys.

Lt Colonel Ernie Cheatham looking decidedly cheesed off.

Its a useful picture as it shows the Empress attention to scaling as we have made him taller than the other Marines to respect his 6'4" height.

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #1255 on: September 27, 2019, 04:27:31 PM »
Sweet 😉
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #1256 on: September 28, 2019, 07:56:57 AM »

Its a useful picture as it shows the Empress attention to scaling as we have made him taller than the other Marines to respect his 6'4" height.

That's great  :)

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #1257 on: September 29, 2019, 02:26:47 PM »
I think my 28mm Rhodesians will get some Selous Scouts out of these chaps...

:D Useful!

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #1258 on: September 29, 2019, 02:27:10 PM »
Cheers guys.

Amazing attention to detail!  :o

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1259 on: September 30, 2019, 07:44:00 AM »
Amazing attention to detail!  :o

Thanks Freaky  ;)