Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:42:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (COMMERCIAL) Empress Miniatures' NEW Vietnam Range  (Read 384829 times)

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: (COMMERCIAL) Empress Miniatures' NEW Vietnam Range
« Reply #3030 on: June 16, 2021, 02:12:45 PM »
You so need to get out more  lol lol lol lol

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3031 on: June 16, 2021, 03:25:06 PM »
Well, we have only just come out of another lockdown and  it’s still a case of “If you can work from home, you must work from home”.

Yeah, would love to get out more. Thankfully  both the Copa America and the Euros are on at the moment. The only sad bit is I’m reminded of my plans to attend the Copa had it gone ahead last year as originally planned. A month on the piss in Colombia watching the footy, would have been grand… :'(
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
Re: (COMMERCIAL) Empress Miniatures' NEW Vietnam R
« Reply #3032 on: June 16, 2021, 08:09:22 PM »
You so need to get out more  lol lol lol lol

We ALL need to get out more…  lol
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #3033 on: June 16, 2021, 10:05:21 PM »
So a Performing Arts range. I will have to consider that idea...........no.  o_o

Well, thanks for considering it.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #3034 on: June 16, 2021, 10:19:14 PM »
I dunno whether you’ve ever seen  WR: Mysteries of the Organism, the ‘70s Yugoslav film that clip was lifted from but it er ‘elevates’ the concept of art film to new levels. It’s almost impossible to categorise but if you have a taste for the offbeat, it’s definitely that. If Terry Gilliam had access to better drugs, it’s the film he might have made.

I have, and that’s all I’m saying.

Actually I’ll also say this: while my suggestion about expanding the range to the US home front was fairly flippant, the unanticipated responses lead me to think there may be some serious potential in such a range. After watching the above clip I was put in mind of another film from the era which looks at the anti-war movement, and more particularly its nemesis, the pro-war movement,  from a dystopian rather than satirical angle. Unfortunately I have no idea how to insert a clip via my phone, which I barely know how to use, but interested readers will find one easily enough. The film goes by the name Punishment Park and is, I would suggest, rife with gaming potential.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 10:22:39 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
« Reply #3035 on: June 17, 2021, 08:52:50 AM »
I’m not sure about figures of eg protesters but it may be worth seeing if there is any interest in a pack of armed radical underground types. I’m presuming some existing figures can be used for National Guard. A bit of a diversion of course and I can imagine hardly a priority compared to say ARVN or MPs.....

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3036 on: June 17, 2021, 09:10:07 AM »
I would suggest the pack of Warlord's Survivors but they seem to be OOP.

I’m not sure about figures of eg protesters but it may be worth seeing if there is any interest in a pack of armed radical underground types. I’m presuming some existing figures can be used for National Guard. A bit of a diversion of course and I can imagine hardly a priority compared to say ARVN or MPs.....
Cheers,
Poiter50

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #3037 on: June 17, 2021, 09:26:35 AM »
To clarify a little, the anti-war characters in Punishment Park aren’t armed resisters. Without giving too much away, the scenario is somewhat akin to the Japanese manga & films Battle Royale, except that the prisoners aren’t given weapons and expected to fight among themselves; they are set the task of escaping the park / prison while avoiding various hazards, but supposedly will not be impeded by the guards, who are just there to see that they stick to the rules. SPOILER: the guards don’t play fair.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3038 on: June 17, 2021, 10:46:39 PM »
This thread needs to get back on track.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3039 on: June 17, 2021, 11:51:25 PM »
Lets just stick to the war in South East Asia, and see what ARVAN are coming out at the end of the week. Which I am very excited about. And then of course the rest of the lines will be pushed to the side for the US Army range. :D 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 12:08:47 AM by commissarmoody »
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3040 on: June 18, 2021, 09:47:22 AM »

Well it is the end of the week and we should be getting the promised photos of ARVEN troops.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #3041 on: June 18, 2021, 09:57:05 AM »

Is that so? Funnily enough your comment, while not a direct quote from Punishment Park, encapsulates its theme - the suppression of dissent - perfectly.

Of course I realise the thread is dedicated to the Empress range and potential additions to it, but I fail to see why this discussion  should not include at least the possibility of coverage being widened to the domestic opposition to the war, and perhaps even an out and out revolution (which was considered a real possibility at the time, given the activities of the Black Panthers). These factors, after all, had at least as much bearing on the outcome of the war as events on the battlefield. The key point, however, is that they do have gaming potential. Whether an individual manufacturer wishes to exploit this is another matter, but I fail to see why the question can not be raised.

Obviously the decision of what is or isn’t pertinent here is one for the moderator to make, and if it is against discussion of anything other than model soldiers, equipment & uniforms, so be it. I could make a further point of what such a stipulation is likely to lead to, but I’m sure other members are capable of working that out for themselves.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 09:58:36 AM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3042 on: June 18, 2021, 11:21:05 AM »
Well it is the end of the week and we should be getting the promised photos of ARVEN troops.
That what was promised. Looking forward to seeing them.  :D

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3043 on: June 18, 2021, 11:40:53 AM »
That what was promised. Looking forward to seeing them.  :D

The international standard ISO 8601 for representation of dates and times, states that Sunday is the seventh and last day of the week. ;)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #3044 on: June 19, 2021, 07:30:54 AM »
Folks,

I've split out and removed the more or less pointless (as in not going anywhere but off-topic) Sunday/Monday discussion. Please resume discussion of the miniature line first, background issues second and politics, in accordance with the forum rules, not at all.

I consider the homefront angle to be more "domestic politics" than not and will therefore reserve further reconsideration, but will leave it here at the time being.

As a guide, stuff like the Weathermen and the SLA may reasonably be subsumed under the crime/police scenario angle, but please do consider how this discussion (if flippant and jocularly) of Kent State and Black Panther/socio-racial conflict comes across, especially in current times, and if you really want to be associated with such positions. Best to keep it strictly limited to figures and the modelling aspect, if you must.

Thanks.