Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:30:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (COMMERCIAL) Empress Miniatures' NEW Vietnam Range  (Read 384939 times)

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: (COMMERCIAL) Empress Miniatures' NEW Vietnam Range
« Reply #3090 on: July 06, 2021, 08:46:11 AM »
Another preview of the upcoming ARVN troops for Vietnam sculpted by Mr Hicks.

This chap is an RTO paratrooper. Based upon an original picture.

He fits in with the officer as the command group.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3091 on: July 06, 2021, 11:13:45 AM »
They look very good.  :-*

ETA?

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3092 on: July 06, 2021, 11:48:51 AM »
A few weeks I would expect as they need to go through two mould making process's.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3093 on: July 06, 2021, 12:26:40 PM »
Looks good to me!
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3094 on: July 06, 2021, 12:30:17 PM »
Luvverly! :-* Keep that up. Not only will those chaps work for Vietnam but will proxy well for places like El Salvador in the 1980s.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #3095 on: July 07, 2021, 05:41:42 AM »
Very nice additions again!!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3096 on: July 07, 2021, 06:55:43 AM »
Love the new sculpts... Mr Hicks is a talented chap

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3097 on: July 07, 2021, 11:19:36 AM »
Cheers chaps.

We have been asked by a few customers to show a size comparison for the Vietnam range of the various nationalities.

There has developed a weird belief that people from North Vietnam were a LOT taller than those in the South. We have no idea where this came from specifically however the Vietnam War historian,  Gordon L Rottman, explains it very well when he writes;

" Physically, there was little difference between North and South Vietnamese.
The average Vietnamese was 5ft 1in.-5ft 4in. (1.57-1.63m) tall and weighed 110-122 Ib (50-55kg). South Vietnamese often claimed they could identify a North Vietnamese by physical appearance.
Northerners were reputed to have more Chinese-like facial features, were taller, bigger-boned and had fairer
complexions. While these features were slightly more prevalent among northerners, they were by no means widespread and could be found among southerners, albeit less frequently. Also, after the communist takeover, some 950,000 refugees fled the North to South Vietnam between 1954 and 1955. Most settled in the ARVN's northern provinces or around Saigon. Their children were liable to be drafted into the ARVN."

To illustrate this simply Google pictures of Vietnamese standing next to western troops. One way to measure figures in picture is to use the weapon they carry as a measuring stick because although people change weapons do not. To help an M16 is 39.5 inches in length.

Empress Miniatures has scaled their Vietnamese figures authentically smaller than the Free World figures such as Americans,  Australians and of course French.

Figures from left to right are USMC - ARVN - ANZAC - VIETNAMESE CIVILIANS X 2 - ARVN - NVA/VC - USMC.

Offline M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3098 on: July 07, 2021, 02:48:04 PM »
Awesome love the attention to detail you guys and Paul have put into all your ranges!

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #3099 on: July 07, 2021, 03:07:49 PM »
Luvverly! :-* Keep that up. Not only will those chaps work for Vietnam but will proxy well for places like El Salvador in the 1980s.

I agree completely.  With the right paint job, I can see them maybe doing double duty as ARVN, or as Central American troops.  Or I could just get 2 sets - they are indeed "luvverly" figs... ;) 
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #3100 on: July 07, 2021, 04:04:24 PM »
I’m very happy with your commitment to relative scaling. Oddly enough I’ve read a number of accounts of taller than average communist troops being ascribed to being ‘Chinese advisors’. Never read of North Vietnamese being especially larger than their southern brethren and my own observations are that there isn’t any real distinction height wise.

Fortunately for the likes of Cap’n Jim and I, a similar tendency to the slight of build and relatively diminutive stature exists amongst folk in Central America. I think I’ll end up with two sets as the inner button counter will insist I lengthen the M16 mags to 30 round jobs.

If anyone else is interested I have a decent monograph on the FMLN that describes tactics, organisation etc.

Offline sakura11

• Librarian
« Reply #3101 on: July 07, 2021, 05:31:08 PM »
Northern chinese are notably taller than southern chinese. Most chinese from the diaspora come from the south and east and hence are smaller than europeans
I played for the chinese army team in hebei in 1989 and was by no means the biggest despite being 6 ft 2 and 13 stone.
Certainly in the north the norm wasnot noticeably different from european averages, although fitter and leaner.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3102 on: July 08, 2021, 04:14:44 AM »
I have read similar accounts about Northern Koreans being bigger in the 50s then their southern cousins. But that the numbers have flipped do to dietary changes in both nations.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #3103 on: July 08, 2021, 06:40:01 AM »
I suspect that when viewed from a slit trench any bugger running at you with a bayonet on the end of their rifle appears bigger than they are. Conversely, any erstwhile ally decamping to the rear at a steady run will appear smaller as their form diminishes into the distance.

One thing I can confidently predict that we will all agree on is that Kim Jong-un is definitely larger than the average North Korean.  ;)

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #3104 on: July 08, 2021, 07:30:18 AM »
I think Gordon Rottman sums the whole matter up quite nicely 😉.
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!