Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 05:10:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691593
  • Total Topics: 118408
  • Online Today: 609
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re: Star Wars Legion - Converting a Disney AT AT Popcorn bucket - The Project  (Read 4271 times)

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
Okay, I have a question or two. I have two Disney AT AT popcorn buckets that I am looking to modify and make more realistic for Star Wars Legion (and Lego Star Wars). The models aren't bad and not too much out of scale for SW Legion, so my plan is fill in the back side of the legs (see photo below showing the hollow upper legs) and cover them up as well as redo a lot of other things.

The problem I have is figuring out what sorta plastic this is made of (made in China of course). I have tried using plasticard to cover the gaps but some of my glues (like Micro Meld) isn't adhering. So any suggestions on this would be most welcome, especially if anyone else out there has also tried this. When I get more done I will post up a tutorial for the benefit of others!

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 10:46:56 PM by ARKOUDAKI »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Star Wars Legion - Converting a Disney AT AT Popcorn bucket - Need help
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 11:03:43 PM »
My guess it's vinyl so your best bet will be superglue.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 11:12:44 PM »
Hi James, I was actually going to IM you, as your an expert in building stuff!  ;)

I think the AT AT is some sorta ABS, like most of the Chinese toys. Yet, my plastic meld stuff isn't holding the inserted plastic bits. There are rubber insert bits on it too, but that will be another job. Overall, the structure of the AT AT is pretty solid. Well made piece.

What do you think about using some sorta Plumber's glue...like that used for PVC pipes and the like. I have done some searching and come up with 'Solvent Weld Cement' but not sure if that will eat the plasticard as well as the model.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 11:15:30 PM by ARKOUDAKI »

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 01:08:09 PM »
That’s a popcorn bucket!?! :o

What about using milliput or some sort of filler as opposed to plastic card?

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 02:12:58 PM »
J B weld.
Never leave home without it ( in a work context.  ;) ) used it all over the planet used it on pvc pipes to land rovers.

Andy before you get tempted you can get two old toy ones for the price of one of those over here. ;D

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 05:00:41 PM »
Thanks for the input! I went to 4D Model shop today to pick-up some larger styrene bits to insert and also some MEK glue, as that also works on ABS plastic (which I am not sure this is but will give it a go!).

As for the price of these Disney AT AT Popcorn buckets, well, if you get them at the parks you get them in the US for $25 inc the popcorn! Of course, if you go to eBay you see them for much higher prices!

That said, if Fantasy Flight Games were doing these - and they won't - it would cost a fortune and be a big solid block of resin!!!!!!!!!!!! At least with Disney's AT AT you get an interior for troop transport. ;) Sadly, the way the thing is designed it would be a lot of work to open up the side doors and get them to work. Same with cockpit area. Still, it will serve its purpose!

As stated, I will take a lot of photos of this project and post up here and on FB groups relevant to SW Legion on the process. I did find in searching the net one other guy did this but he just repainted the model, and didn't try to fill in the legs, feet, interior, etc and make it more realistic. It should be fun! Watch this space!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline mrgrigson

• Librarian
    • The Overloaded Queue
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 05:26:09 PM »
Given that my wife just arrived at WDW, this is a most wonderfully timed post. I don't think I'll be able to have her get two for me (and fit them into her luggage home), but I should at least get one out of the deal.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 07:22:27 PM »
Of course you can get two in a bag...they unscrew pretty easily!

Offline mrgrigson

• Librarian
    • The Overloaded Queue
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 07:42:57 PM »
While I won't know until I have my mitts on one, from the translucence of it, I'm going to guess that this is the same kind of plastic that they used to make the Millennium Falcon a couple of years ago, which is also the same kind of plastic that the U-wing legs are made of. You'll need to hit it with some of that special plastic primer before anything else will stick to it, but once you do it should paint up well and CA should take. I've tried filling the primed U-wing extensions with putty and it didn't stick terribly well, but that might be because there was just too much leverage for things to pull away.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 03:02:16 AM »
As for the popcorn buckets.
My fiancee's cousin works at the one in Florida.
Kinda hoping to see one or two come April when I open wedding presents.

Grimm

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 03:26:43 AM »
It should have a recycling marker on it somewhere that tells you what kind of plastic it is. Maybe on the bottom of the feet?

Offline ColonelMutumbu

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 06:59:46 AM »
An intriguing project. If it is PVC plastic then try looking for a glue like this one. http://www.selleys.com.au/adhesives/household-adhesive/quick-fix-adhesive/plastics-glue/

I have had a really hard time getting super glue to bond PVC based plastic, but this stuff works well, it has a primer that you spread on both sides then an adhesive. Worked a dream for me on some Italeri 1/72 napoleonics that are PVC based and wouldn't bond well with standard super glue.
lead count 2022: bought 227 painted :227
score: 0

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 10:44:51 AM »
But is that only available in Oz??? Can't seem to find it here in the UK

Offline ColonelMutumbu

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 08:54:45 PM »
Unfortunately that may be the case, I can't see anything that lists the active ingredients either.  Though I'm fairly certain the adhesive itself is just a regular CA glue.

Offline johnl5555

• Librarian
    • Wargamer Printing
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 02:41:47 PM »
  Glad I read this thread. I picked one up off of Ebay.  ;)

Thanks!
Owner JS Wargamer Printing. 3D printing miniatures, buildings and terrain.
https://wargamerprinting.com/