Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:51:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 2019 time to get serious  (Read 3649 times)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
2019 time to get serious
« on: February 06, 2019, 12:15:47 AM »
Please bear with me while I explain my upcoming predicament. So, I have lived on my own for 8 years- 7 of them in the large bedsit I sit in now. For reasons not really relevant to this topic, in 12 weeks I have to move out lock, stock and barrel.
The problem that faces me is that all my wargaming projects are overflowing on every surface and piece of space, in boxes stacked under the bed and atop the wardrobe and even in the bathroom, and a whole cupboard full of unpainted minis in those plastic compartmentalized boxes.
Stuff already safely stashed in boxes is my smallest worry.
The BIG problem is that I have about 400 minis that are half-painted or just undercoated, all on baking trays on every inch of horizontal space. They are separated into projects so as to bring some sort of order(1 tray to each) there are about 9 baking trays dotted about the place (3 on the windowsill).
I have been lazy and thought I would always be here.
What I don't want is for all these miniatures to be thrown into boxes and jumbled up together for the move. I been through that before and had stuff lost for years, broken etc.
This means that I have until the end of April to get as much as I can painted and FINISHED and safely packed away.
If I allow 1 week for packing, 1 week for unforeseen circumstances, that leaves 10 weeks. No need to panic.
I know I can't paint 400 miniatures in that time. So the stuff that is only undercoated (@150) can be packed.
Likewise I must make the cut on the Napoleonics. That is a large project and I have only started painting four dozen figures so far. I don't want to rush them so they too must go to bed and wait for an opportune time.
I have been round and done a careful list That leaves 205 figures I have half painted and then left off for various reasons. Some are 80% done and most 40-50%.
I think that I can finish 20 miniatures a week, every week, for the next 10 weeks.
WISH ME LUCK PEOPLE!
As a spur to my progress I am going to start a thread on here (or perhaps on the workbench?) 
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: 2019 time to get serious
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 04:25:25 AM »
Good luck!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 06:41:11 AM »
On a related note, how will pack them for moving?

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 09:26:00 AM »
James, feel free to store them with me. This will ease the pressure until you are safely moved.
Then you can transport them (either a bit at a time, or we can load the car up one night.)
I even have some (at the moment) empty boxes. Some are the RUB ones. Let me know
what you think. I know moving is a stressful time, so let me help. You know I have the ability
to store masses of stuff.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 10:23:22 AM »
Even better, send 'em to Harry's Emporium of tat/priceless artefacts! Good luck with the move, it's going to be a tad aggful... but you'll get it sorted in the end.

:)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 11:13:49 AM »

GET PAINTING.

That is all.

(Good luck)  :)

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 03:32:56 PM »
Good luck.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 05:45:49 PM »
Good luck with your painting and with your move when it comes. :)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 10:47:06 PM »
Thank you all!
@Codsticker: I have to give that some thought. Maybe the foam tray idea or sally 4th RUB partitions.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 10:52:54 PM »
Good luck with the painting and the move. I store all my stuff in box files. Couldn’t you just do that and label them up?

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 09:47:17 AM »
Good luck with the painting and the move. I store all my stuff in box files. Couldn’t you just do that and label them up?

Thanks. Box files are OK if figures are never going to move far. But, apart from the upcoming big move, it is high time I had a better system for keeping them safe and protected for transport. I don't game at my place so I invariably have to take figures with me to my friends' places to game with.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 10:04:51 AM »
GO FOR IT JAMES!

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 11:05:43 AM »
i bought some kr multicase trays.  I figured the with the time and cost in painting them I may as well spend 25p more each on storing them.

You can get about 100 figures in a case for about £25

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 11:52:05 AM »
i bought some kr multicase trays.  I figured the with the time and cost in painting them I may as well spend 25p more each on storing them.

You can get about 100 figures in a case for about £25

Put like that it's a bargain isn't it?

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 01:35:11 PM »
Put like that it's a bargain isn't it?

This is, what I use to store primered, yet unpainted or in progress miniatures (144 miniatures is even better value):
https://www.feldherr.com/feldherr-lagerbox-fuer-144-miniaturen/a-53529/