Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:13:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689757
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 2019 time to get serious  (Read 3669 times)

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
Re: 2019 time to get serious
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 03:40:55 PM »

I second KR multicases - have 4 different styles such is my faith in their quality. You can house up to 200 28mm figs per case (beware: many many tray styles to choose from so can take cavalry, bikes etc too).

I have no experience of feldherr - just telling ya what I do know  :)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 11:04:43 PM »
This is, what I use to store primered, yet unpainted or in progress miniatures (144 miniatures is even better value):
https://www.feldherr.com/feldherr-lagerbox-fuer-144-miniaturen/a-53529/

Hi Michi thanks I will take a serious look at that as well as other options.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 11:05:52 PM »
I second KR multicases - have 4 different styles such is my faith in their quality. You can house up to 200 28mm figs per case (beware: many many tray styles to choose from so can take cavalry, bikes etc too).

I have no experience of feldherr - just telling ya what I do know  :)

I looked at the KR website this morning but I found it pretty bewildering to be honest.

Offline Borderguy190

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 05:45:44 PM »
KR has so many options, I can be overwhelming. I have 12-15 of them for my 28s and 5 more for X-Wing. There are tons of custom trays, and pick n pluck (you pull foam to arrange models).   

There are 3 basic infantry size trays. They hold 108, 144, or 200 models when fillimg a standard box. I use the 108 model trays. Its 6×6 models per tray and gives space to fit and WFB models with spears and halberds and all that. That size works for Saga minis, too.

What I like best about KR is the soft foam. Since using them I haven't broken or chipped paint.

What minis are you looking to store? If I know what you have, I can better tell you what might work.

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 07:47:23 PM »
Cardboard boxes can be found for free.
 :-*
Flatpack

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 11:35:03 PM »
Cardboard boxes can be found for free.
 :-*

Oh believe me, I have been there.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 11:46:18 PM »
KR has so many options, I can be overwhelming. I have 12-15 of them for my 28s and 5 more for X-Wing. There are tons of custom trays, and pick n pluck (you pull foam to arrange models).   

There are 3 basic infantry size trays. They hold 108, 144, or 200 models when fillimg a standard box. I use the 108 model trays. Its 6×6 models per tray and gives space to fit and WFB models with spears and halberds and all that. That size works for Saga minis, too.

What I like best about KR is the soft foam. Since using them I haven't broken or chipped paint.

What minis are you looking to store? If I know what you have, I can better tell you what might work.

28mm All sorts of periods, ECW  with long pikes to Napoleonics, Zulu War to Interwar to WWII to SciFi. Vehicles, horses, camels , the lot. Some multibased on 60 x60mm bases, others singly on 2p coins.
The info that I really wanted first of all is the size of the foam trays. I already have 2 Hobby/fishing/camera type cases that at the moment have hard plastic boxes inside them. The dimensions of these boxes are 280mm x195mm x50mm deep. I wanted to replace these with foam trays of the same size. I had the same problem on the Figures In Comfort website. No information. I shot them off an email explaining but have not yet had a reply. I suspect they would want to sell me one of their expensive cases first and foremost.

Offline Borderguy190

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2019, 03:07:53 AM »
I just measured a tray from the box i use for Saga minis. It has 8 trays in it, each tray holding 18 minis (this try: https://www.krmulticase.com/product/trays/F4H ). The trays are 19cmx25.5cm by 3cm deep. So, the trays are half width, quarter depth trays. They figure trays come in 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 and full depth based off a standard KR cardboard case. Based off my measurements a 1/4 depth tray is 3cm, a 1/3 is 3.8cm, and a 2/3 tray is 7.5cm. I don't have any full height trays, but off these measurements it would be 11.3cm.

The 1/4 height trays work great for most 28mm figs. They lay down in the spaces. If they have spears or pikes or halberds, you may need to space them and cut foam so the weapons fit. Models like High Elf Sword Masters will stand up in the 2/3 tray. I use the 2/3 tray for horses with riders (this tray: https://www.krmulticase.com/product/trays/V2H ), though the half would probably work as well. I also use half or 2/3 trays for multi-based models to stand upright.

The various depth pick-and-pluck work for customizing a fit for things like cannons on min dioramas or for larger bases or vehicles. If you look at the custom cut foam for GW figures on the KR site wit will give you an idea on how bigger models fit into trays.

Hope this helps.

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2019, 05:51:47 AM »
If you fail this demanding target, it may be worth gluing your part painted stuff to temprary bases or plastic sheet. Use Copydex, which is a latex glue, so figures can easily be brought away from plastic surfaces, but it is strong enough to keep them fixed until you decide to part the figure from the base. Then blue-tak (or sparingly Copydex) the bases to the inside of throw-away shallow boxes, they should survive a journey without being a jumbles mass at the other end of the move.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 01:45:20 PM »
As I mentioned elsewhere, I bought two nine litre Really Useful Boxes from whoever is now Figures In Comfort (from the SHQ stand I think at Colours 2018).

As you can see there are thirty three 25x50mm cutouts, and you get four trays per box (fourth edition Wombles, Empress VBCW and some Crooked Dice figures for scale).

At Colours they were £25 each.

Most of my figure boxes are Figures In Comfort (previous iteration), I find the foam more reassuring and they can swap with the trays in the old Games Workshop boxes.

I am not sure what is going on with them, there is what appears to be a zombie web site out there.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2019, 03:20:35 PM »
Will contact SHQ and see if they can supply the foam trays alone.

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2019, 04:04:59 PM »
The website has been taken over by the new people & has the right address and stuff. I think they just haven't updated the news or anything yet including the new products. Kind of a shame because Erik was always good about that stuff.

I think they do the RUB trays on their own -- I got the impression they did last time I talked to them.

(Their own boxes are definitely cheaper!)

It might be worth considering getting on of their army-lugging cases that would hold hundreds of figures. When I moved last, that's what I did.

Wrt the pikes, I normally put a regt of ECW per tray, the pikes in rows 2, 3 and 4 with a small slit cut in the roof over their head to take & hold the pike. If you place the slit right, you still get to use the slot above the man as normal. Row 1 is filled with drum/piper/officers &c. Flags normally need a couple of slots with the intermediate foam cut out.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 12:00:35 AM »

Wrt the pikes, I normally put a regt of ECW per tray, the pikes in rows 2, 3 and 4 with a small slit cut in the roof over their head to take & hold the pike. If you place the slit right, you still get to use the slot above the man as normal. Row 1 is filled with drum/piper/officers &c. Flags normally need a couple of slots with the intermediate foam cut out.

That's an interesting trick worth remembering! Thanks Katie.
I probably won't buy either of the popular company's own cases because it would still leave me with the problem of what to do with my two smaller ones, which are perfectly fine. I just need to find some foam trays that will fit them.
Thanks for the info about FIC.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 01:02:21 PM »
No advice about storage, just about the painting. Just start with the 80% finished figures. If it's only details like belts etc, you'll find out it you can finish quite a lot of then in a single session. After, if there's time left, start with th 60-50% painted ones and work your way down. If you'll need some of those trays that's the way to go imho. Don't paint what you want to paint, paint what's quickest to finish. And remember, you can always get back to them for a few final details/touching ups when the dust of moving finally hass settled.  ;)
Leadhead

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
  • "Down with this sort of thing!" (Careful now)
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2019, 08:59:31 PM »
wow, good luck!

*salutes*