Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:24:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686597
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vapnartak 2019 photo report  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Abwehrschlacht

• Mad Scientist
    • Storm of Steel Blog
Vapnartak 2019 photo report
« on: February 06, 2019, 05:13:42 PM »
I have put a photo report on my blog from Vapnartak last weekend, there's also a cheeky bonus video included! Have look here:

https://www.stormofsteelwargaming.com/2019/02/vapnartak-2019.html

Who else went? What did you think of it?

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Vapnartak 2019 photo report
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 06:07:03 PM »
One of my favorite shows I've been religiously attending since the merchant adventures hall days.
I like the slide show.
I didn't get to spend much time looking at the games so that was a nice prompt for the little grey cells.

Mark

Offline Abwehrschlacht

• Mad Scientist
    • Storm of Steel Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 06:08:41 PM »
Cheers Mark, glad you liked it. Yeah, I have also been going since the Merchant Adventurers days, I think it's one of my favourite shows.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 06:13:05 PM »
Yes, I was there to make the annual handover of painted goods to Paleskin and spend money.

Good show as always, morning was bedlam, could hardly move, but come about 12.30 everyone seemed to bugger off.

Lovely games as always, and somehow I managed to come away with some cash left, so that makes a change.

Sally4th have got me really intrigued by the Albedo stuff after speaking to them. Another project I don't need...

Offline Abwehrschlacht

• Mad Scientist
    • Storm of Steel Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 06:15:05 PM »
We arrived around 11.30 and the carpark seemed quite empty, along with the show. I didn't buy a great deal, but that's because I have enough French soldiers to keep me painting until the 300th anniversary of Waterloo...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 06:30:38 PM »
Fantastic!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 06:38:15 PM »
Arrived c10.30 and plenty of gamers had actually parked down the Knavesmire, rather than use the racecourse car park, as they assumed it was already full.

Seemed busy to me, until c2pm or so, but those with further to travel drifted off around then, understandably due to the weather.

Managed to get in a game of Cruel Seas with my lad - thank you to the hosts (Lancaster Club I think?)...quickly sold on the game, and splurged some cash with Warlords.

Always some good games on show, and the traders don’t feel quite as squeezed in as some shows, which is only a good thing, plus the venue gives you plenty of natural light.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 06:43:44 PM »
I did drop off the Gyrocopter, cold weather figures etc.With Chris Abbey.Thats going to be fun ;)
I left about 1.30pm to head into York( for just the one ) the morning was chaos.
Couldn't help laughing though my son bought some second hand plastics just for one figure in the bag.
Promptly to have  one bounce off the railing down into the canteen to bounce off someone carrying a tray onto the head of someone at a table. Then be kicked from pillar to post. Until it shattered. The look on his face and the whimper he let out every time it bounced or was kicked as he tracked its demise. Was priceless.Even more darkly so as it was the one he wanted out of the bag.
At his age you'd have thought he'd have put two and two together and realized opening the bag over a balcony was a bad idea. ::)
Even more so since he's a 23 year old engineer and built like a brick out house.

Offline Abwehrschlacht

• Mad Scientist
    • Storm of Steel Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 09:29:39 PM »
LOL, I was thinking that was particularly cruel about your son, until you mentioned his age! Ha ha ha

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 09:10:45 PM »
We arrived about 11, and left about 12.30 due to it being such a crush. My OH and son complained about being hit by rucksacks wherever they went, as was I, until it got to the point where we decided enough was enough and went. Disappointed in the show generally speaking, shan't bother making the 2 hour journey next year, we'll head elsewhere I think. It seems to be  victim of it's own success with too many punters crammed into what has become too small a space. A creche for rucksacks at the entrance might tempt us back, I mean what's wrong with carrier bags like all other mortals with two arms?  Manners were lacking this year too, several times I stood looking at something only for someone to push in front of me without so much as a 'by your leave' into the 2ft gap I'd left between me and what I was perusing, so they could ogle the exact same thing. Am I invisible I wondered? I spent the least I've ever spent at a show as a consequence, in fact as a whole we spent more on a KFC on the way home than we spent at the show. We viewed the participation games, but didn't partake, I assume they were participation only no one manning them was very forthcoming or welcoming. Sorry York, but not as good as other years.   

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 09:44:56 PM »
Was up on the second floor with a Chicago Way participation game. Didn't see much of the show, spent most of the day running the game. There were two other participation games next to us (Martians vs biplanes, and Schneider Cup air race). Our floor was busy for much of the day but not crowded, and very few rucksacks, maybe they couldn't climb that far? Although there was a lift. We were just above the bring & buy and that didn't seem insanely crowded except for the first hour.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Dave Knight

• Mad Scientist
    • Lead Warrior
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 11:05:54 PM »
Good but not quite as good as previous years.  I summarised my thoughts on the blog

https://leadwarriordavek.blogspot.com/2019/02/vapnartak-show-report.html

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
  • "Down with this sort of thing!" (Careful now)
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 08:58:01 PM »
I had a great time as always!

Offline Abwehrschlacht

• Mad Scientist
    • Storm of Steel Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 09:05:00 PM »
 Annie, we were admiring your wide range. Unfortunately, I'm all about 15mm and 6mm, otherwise I would treat myself to your Women of WW2 range!

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
  • "Down with this sort of thing!" (Careful now)
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 07:51:12 AM »
Thanks so much!

It's ok, I have a plan to ensnare the smaller scale gamers. It's "waiting til your eyes pack in"

I CAN WAIT

hehe.