Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:40:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Made some Heroclasses for a Frostgrave RPG style game  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Darksider

• Bookworm
Made some Heroclasses for a Frostgrave RPG style game
« on: February 09, 2019, 10:53:42 PM »
Title already says what I did XD.

I made some classes for people that want to play frostgrave as an rpg or as an dungeon crawler style game. I made the stats based on the basic wizard stats. (The mage or wizard isn't included, cause reasons ;) )  If someone plays a wizard the other classes shouldn't be too far behind (the normal soldiers are lacking a lot of power compared against the wizard, so I made the heroclasses).
The classes aren't made for normal frostgrave games, but if someone wants to try them please report back here ;).
All normal frostgrave rules apply to the classes below, but i made three extra rules for them, which you can read below.

1) the level and improving stat rules apply to all classes. The improving a known spell only applies to classes which can cast one or more spells.

2) All heroclasses may improve one of their following stats by +1 when they reach a new level, up to  the maximum shown in brackets by their entry.

3) own experience table (it's exactly the same as in maze of malcor, where it got reworked, I only made one tweak)
   50 xp for each treasure token secured by a hero (all of them get the 50 xp for the treasure)
   40 xp for each game in which they participate
   5 xp for each uncontrolled creature they kill (if the creature has an xp value than that will be used instead); + 5 additional xp for heroclasses that can't cast spells
   10 xp for a sucessfully cast spell (spells below casting number 6 don't count)
   5 xp for each failed spell attempt

Sorry for the weird formating, I wrote this in wordpad before I copy pasted it here

Fighter
M   F   S   A   W   H
6   +3   +3   10   +2   18
5 item slots
can wear all armor and use all weapons
Stat improvment up to: Fight (+7), Shoot (+5), Will (+6), Health (26)

Masterthief
M   F   S   A   W   H
7   +2   +2   10   +4   15
5 item slots
can only wear leather armor, can't use two-handed weapons
Stat improvment up to: Move (8) Fight (+5), Shoot (+5), Will (+7), Health (22)

Priest
M   F   S   A   W   H
6   +2   +0   10   +6   16
5 item slots
can use all armor but can't use two-handed weapons and ranged weapons, knows the spells Heal (as per frostgrave rulebook, but castingnumber is 12) & Turn Undead (new spell: Priest/12/Line of Sight; if succesfully cast, all undead in line of sight of the caster must pass an immediate will roll versus the casting roll or be removed from the game)
Stat improvment up to: Fight (+5), Shoot (+3), Will (+10), Health (24)

Wizard
as per the standard frostgrave rules, choose a school and spells etc.

Paladin
M   F   S   A   W   H
6   +3   +0   10   +5   16
5 item slots
can use all armor and all weapons, knows the spells Heal (as per frostgrave rulebook, but castingnumber is 15) & Enchant Weapon (as per frostgrave rulebook, but castingnumber is 10 and the paladin can only cast the spell on his own weapons)
Stat improvment up to: Fight (+6), Shoot (+5), Will (+8), Health (24)

Ranger
M   F   S   A   W   H
7   +2   +3   10   +3   16
5 item slots
can only use leather armor but can wear all weapons, animal companion (functions exactly as the witch spell animal companion, but you don't have to cast it, you simply choose one animal that the witch can summon as your companion)
Stat improvment up to: Fight (+5), Shoot (+8), Will (+6), Health (22)

Barbarian
M   F   S   A   W   H
6   +4   +0   10   +2   18
5 item slots
can only use leather armor but can wear all weapons
Stat improvment up to: Fight (+8), Shoot (+2), Will (+4), Health (28)

I want to add some more classes in the future, but I think that the 6 classes need some finetuning at the moment before I make more.
Would be cool if you can help me a little bit by this task ;).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 10:56:36 PM by Darksider »
They say we come from nothing and to nothing we will return, but in between is gravity and bridges left to burn.

They worshipped, so they said, the Great Old Ones who lived ages before there were any men, and who came to the young world out of the sky.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
Re: Made some Heroclasses for a Frostgrave RPG style game
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 10:15:22 PM »
It's difficult to make a judgment without knowing how the wizard will be changed, or what other changes you have in store.

Regarding the Priest, at least compared to the standard wizard, one would be much better off using a Thaumaturge with the Armor of Righteousness.  There would even be a better casting roll for the Heal spell.  Even without knowing the changes, the 12+ casting roll seems a bit harsh, since more than half of the time he will waste a turn doing nothing, although I could see a reason to limit how often the spell is cast.

I do like the undead version of the Banish spell, which is something I was hoping would eventually appear in the main game.

Offline Darksider

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 11:05:33 AM »
Thanks for the answer ;).

The wizard won't be changed at all. You simply can create the wizard you want, as per normal frostgrave rules.

Regarding the priest, that's what I thought first. I also thougth that wizards can't wear armor, but maybe I am wrong.

All the classes have to be finetuned and I am looking for some help^^.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 09:32:11 PM »
One of the supplements has the Armor of Righteousness, which can be used by a Thaumaturge only, adds +2 Armor, but prevents the casting of Necromancer, Summoner, and Elementalist spells while worn.  In addition, the Thaumaturge could have the Shield spell which would more than make up for the Priest being able to use a mundane shield.

I would think that a better approach might be to use the Apprentice stats for a Wizard in order to at least make them a little weaker.  As it stands, a Wizard's stats would be comparable, and in some cases better (Shoot, for instance), than the other classes.  A Barbarian should be better with a bow than a Wizard, even if he's primarily a melee character.

Offline Darksider

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 12:59:18 PM »
Thanks=).

Hm so should I only allow the apprentice for the game? As you said the other classes should be better at all but spellcasting.
It's really hard to make some good classes next to the wizard. With his spells he is really flexible and if you improve his stats he also can fight really good or shoot (if you don't want to cast spells).

I think the right way is to give the other classes some special abilities, but then you have to balance them around their abilities and against the other classes.

Anyone made his own classes for frostgrave?

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 08:37:37 PM »
Interesting idea, following for the updates.

In this spanish blog there is a similar idea for doing not wizard characters. BUt is not a full RPG, I'm afraid:

http://frikidiario.blogspot.com/2015/09/frostgrave-heroes-mundanos.html

http://frikidiario.blogspot.com/2015/10/frostgrave-picaro-y-guerrero.html

http://frikidiario.blogspot.com/2015/10/frostgrave-clerigo-y-montaraz.html

Blog

Offline Darksider

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 10:03:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I wish I would understand what's written there, but I can't =). I only ever learned french in school as second language^^.

In another thread here, someone uses frostgrave for rpg play. I think they didn't change that much for non wizard characters.

I kinda gave up on the idea (using frostgrave for a d&d like game). I currently use rangers of shadowdeep as main game with all the monsters mixed in from frostgrave and ghost archipelago. So I use the companions from rangers and they can lvl up. I only have to assign the creatures some xp values, but that's something I will think about when I need it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 10:05:28 PM by Darksider »

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 10:54:19 AM »
 :) agreed ... rangers fills alot of the spaces in now... I love all 3 games!!!!

Offline Darksider

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 10:21:25 PM »
For sure  :).

I also like all 3 games and I am always looking forward to every expansion that gets released  ;)