Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:25:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm late war British & Germans  (Read 136055 times)

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
Re: 28mm late war British & Germans
« Reply #720 on: October 11, 2023, 11:28:43 AM »
... and the last of them.

The obligatory brew.

Not sure what the little white specks are; either need to clean my sensor, or run a hoover over the minis prior to taking pictures...

The Warlord special edition 'bloke carrying casualty' figure, found it on eBay, wrangled a pretty good price. He fit's in very nicely with the rest.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #721 on: October 13, 2023, 03:19:05 PM »
Thanks Jim.

Help is always much appreciated, as are the kind feedback comments, though if you saw the way I paint you'd probably spit your tea out..!

Here's the Jeep with added yellow thing, better looking beret badge and should be able to see the kit in the back. A 2" mortar, couple of ammo cases to go with and a Bren.

Wanna get really anal, jeep wise?
Yer need a thin yeller line right about, there! There was another one painted in the glider, you drove on/in, matched 'em up for perfect weight distribution...
sad knowing that, innit!!!???

:-[  :-X  :-[
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #722 on: October 13, 2023, 08:22:45 PM »
Nice, that's an easy adjustment.
Any other markings? I have a Warlord decal sheet with Pegasus plate, white 55 on a red background, and a white 41 on a green over blue background.

Also going to add a red cross marking to the small pack in front of the side shovel.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #723 on: October 13, 2023, 09:00:40 PM »
Great painting!

As to decals, yes, a splash of colour is always good. I’d go for the red arm of service markings as these are for an infantry battalion. The green over blue is for the recce regiment and your jeep looks more infantry battalion!

You would have a Pegasus and the AoS marking on the front - Pegasus on the driver’s side. Where varies a bit, on the bumper is quite common, or a bit higher up at the side of the grill. You might struggle for either location on this model with the stowage!  Same markings on the back. 

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #724 on: October 14, 2023, 10:05:42 AM »
Great painting!

As to decals, yes, a splash of colour is always good. I’d go for the red arm of service markings as these are for an infantry battalion. The green over blue is for the recce regiment and your jeep looks more infantry battalion!

Great, was going for a generic run about look for this.

You would have a Pegasus and the AoS marking on the front - Pegasus on the driver’s side. Where varies a bit, on the bumper is quite common, or a bit higher up at the side of the grill. You might struggle for either location on this model with the stowage!  Same markings on the back.

Pesky shovel combo getting in the way...  So, the red square with the white '55' on one side of the back end, with little Pegasus on opposite side..?

I've had a fairly good rummage through Google images, and so far not found any period pics of the centre of gravity markings; lots of refurbished ones owned by re enactors, painted model kits and even a superbly well kitted out Action Man para..! So got an idea of what it should look like, but have noticed that only seems to be on the drivers side (shovel side). Does that sound right?

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
« Reply #725 on: October 14, 2023, 04:19:52 PM »

Wanna get really anal, jeep wise?
Yer need a thin yeller line right about, there! There was another one painted in the glider, you drove on/in, matched 'em up for perfect weight distribution...
sad knowing that, innit!!!???

:-[  :-X  :-[

Really really anal would be the correct mid blue for the bonnet letter and numbers
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 04:39:04 PM by Johnny Boy »

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #726 on: October 16, 2023, 09:57:35 AM »

Added splash of colour, cheers for the all the help everyone.

Really really anal would be the correct mid blue for the bonnet letter and numbers

With added hint of blue...

Also... took these as a comparison between old and new PH sculpts. All the medical types.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 05:21:15 AM by Ash »

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #727 on: October 19, 2023, 01:13:56 PM »
Picked up some rather nice resin drop canisters and panniers from 1st Corps.

Finished the trolleys from Offensive miniatures.

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #728 on: October 19, 2023, 09:21:34 PM »
Take grandpapa out into the garden in his bath chair for some fresh air dear.

Lovely work. This is a magnificent project.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Eclaireur

• Scientist
« Reply #729 on: October 20, 2023, 10:05:19 AM »
Love these Ash, maintaining your usual inspirational standard  ;D
- You probably know this but I think the Warlord guy carrying a casualty is a Paul Hicks sculpt that he did ages ago and was reissued...
- fred + Harry, love your nerdy points on jeep markings - needless to say mine are wrong but now you've got me thinking...
- the Offensive handcart (this type was made by Jaguar cars) was used by glider troops. The new Empress/Hicks Arnhem kickstarter one is the correct, collapsible, cart used by parachute battalions. And there's me calling others nerds  :D
EC

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #730 on: October 20, 2023, 01:17:12 PM »
Just keep talking yer tablets E, then all will be well in nerd world!
 :?

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #731 on: October 20, 2023, 03:40:46 PM »
Excellent work there. :) Paintingwise, modelling-wise AND I really like the basing.
One question, if I may- how do you do the black background of the photos?

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #732 on: October 20, 2023, 05:47:43 PM »
Lovely work. This is a magnificent project.

Cheers Carlos, glad you like them, much appreciated. Been a lot of fun.

Love these Ash, maintaining your usual inspirational standard  ;D
- You probably know this but I think the Warlord guy carrying a casualty is a Paul Hicks sculpt that he did ages ago and was reissued...
- fred + Harry, love your nerdy points on jeep markings - needless to say mine are wrong but now you've got me thinking...
- the Offensive handcart (this type was made by Jaguar cars) was used by glider troops. The new Empress/Hicks Arnhem kickstarter one is the correct, collapsible, cart used by parachute battalions. And there's me calling others nerds  :D
EC

The casualty bloke, I think you get (or used to get) with one of the Warlord books or large model sets. Just had a look and couldn't see him, although did notice a special edition wounded Para throwing a grenade and a Major John Howard figure. I know he wasn't at Arnhem, but I will track down both , eventually...

I love all the 'nerd points'. The amount of pictures I've looked at and still miss a lot, until someone helpful points it out, and then the light bulb in what's left of my grey matter goes on, accompanied by a long Oooh, and a why didn't I spot that earlier.
I did spot another thing 'wrong' with the now blue numbers on the Jeep, the first number should be a '5', for Airborne. I'm not however scraping it off...

Hand carts; have ended up with quite a lot. Three of the small, one medium and two of the combat deckchair variety.

Excellent work there. :) Paintingwise, modelling-wise AND I really like the basing.
One question, if I may- how do you do the black background of the photos?

Thank you very much, basing was a bit of a battle (the grey rubble), but happy with the end result.

The black background is just an off-cut piece of black velvet that I found on eBay. I prop it up on some old foam inserts that came out of KR cases.

Now that the Paras are done I'm going to finish off this non-airborne 6 pounder, that's been sitting on the sidelines.
Just got hold of a Loyd Carrier to go with it. (Rubicon resin model). Comes with a couple of really nice ammo cases, could do with more of those...

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #733 on: October 20, 2023, 11:40:58 PM »
Possibly because the wheels seem to be hovering above the base but that 6 pounder does look rather on the large size. Gunshield seems to pretty much just cover the heads of a kneeling crewman in all te photos I've seen. Lovely layout though, every piece a mini diorama.

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #734 on: October 21, 2023, 03:44:57 AM »
Possibly because the wheels seem to be hovering above the base but that 6 pounder does look rather on the large size.

It is a fairly solid unit, and  currently is in hover mode. Well spotted.
I drilled holes in the tyres, and added brass rod pins to fix it to the base.
Still need to drill some holes in the base. It should end up sittimg a couple of mm lower.

Base will get some hedge, grass, mud and patchy snow (that hopefully won't turn green, this time).