Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:43:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm late war British & Germans  (Read 131856 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: 28mm late war British infantry
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2019, 08:01:57 PM »
Thank you for the paint list.  :D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline mrcleh

• Bookworm
« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2019, 09:32:46 PM »
Thanks, that will be helpful to me as well. Much appreciated!

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2019, 09:19:11 AM »
@ Eclaireur: I just found some interesting footage on Youtube; newsreel shot in Bremen in April '45.
If you skip to around 13:30 - 14:00 there is footage of British troops wearing the windproof smocks, even though B&W the camouflage pattern is quite clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PxgxZ3QKDA

This one has loads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIOhIyLENMg

@1:41 camo tank crew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en3hkuc1QoM
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:57:24 AM by Ash »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2019, 10:50:45 AM »
Those are some great finds!  :D

Offline Eclaireur

• Scientist
« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2019, 06:30:27 PM »
Whoa! great stuff there Ash  ;D

And what's more it's the most satisfying type of research - because it validates the way you chose to paint yours  ;)

Random thoughts ...

- spring temperatures in that first vid, guys in BD trousers, shirts and light order. you could use Perry castings for that fighting!

- no sign of the camo over-trousers unless I missed it, just seems to be the smocks

- the great majority of those guys have no nets & scrim on their helmets, and of course Mk IIs. I get the feeling the nets & scrim were a Normandy thing

- interesting seeing some helmets painted white and that group in the white over suits + hemet covers

EC

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2019, 08:51:15 PM »
I havent seen any pictures of troops using the windproof over trousers either, but I have painted some of mine wearing them because I know they existed and I like the look. For me these models were always going to be in camo windproofs, one of the reasons I bought them:

As for scrim and netting, a lot seen with & a lot without; could have been a personal preference, maybe it wore out and fell off over time, could be replacements (either men or helmets) are the ones with out or vice versa. Who knows, if it's sculpted onto the helmets I'll paint it, if it's not I'll choose different colours. I'd like to see some MKII helmets in this range; with a bit of scrim & netting, with nothing and some with a look of material to paint white. I recall seeing a comment (could be the Empress Facebook page), where someone asked about MkII helmets and I think the answer was that there would be some in the range...

Back to the book:
I always asumed that the battle dress jackets were worn under the windproofs, but Peter White made an interesting comment in his book (pg 513):

"Our kitbags finally reached us...This enabeled us to pull out our battledress and put it on for the first time in many weeks, discarding for the time being our filthy, battle-ripped, windproof smocks"

So now I'm wondering what's underneath. Most of the figures are sculpted with the sleevless leather jerkin, either over battle dress or under the windproofs, but what was under that..?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:47:27 AM by Ash »

Offline Danger Close Miniatures

• Assistant
« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2019, 12:04:23 AM »
They probably wore vest, shirt and jumper under the smock. Which is similar to what I've been wearing under a windproof smock for years, the modern smocks are made of the same material as the WW2 ones. Interestingly, no one I know has ever worn the windproof over-trousers actually over trousers, they're still issued as well.

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2019, 08:10:27 AM »
They probably wore vest, shirt and jumper under the smock. Which is similar to what I've been wearing under a windproof smock for years, the modern smocks are made of the same material as the WW2 ones. Interestingly, no one I know has ever worn the windproof over-trousers actually over trousers, they're still issued as well.

Sounds about right. I still have mine from late '80's, but I don't think they were designed to wear ontop of other kit (other than the thermal long johns) as the 'cut' was not that baggy, shame could have done with some 'large' as my once racing-snake like frame is rather more rotund these days!

The closest I've got so far in finding any pictures of the trousers is this:

Which I think was from the box art of a model kit, there maybe a photo on which it was based, but so far I haven't seen it.

There are a few pictures of troops in the white suits, so may go that route with future releases...

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2019, 08:57:11 AM »
Ash here a few pictures of ventile clothing all are original pieces plus a couple of the most common jumpers issued.
Hope it's helpful.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2019, 12:03:07 AM »
Chap at the bottom with the 'tache is doing an excellent James Beck impression. Is he trying to offload some black market petrol coupons?
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2019, 09:38:21 AM »
Chap at the bottom with the 'tache is doing an excellent James Beck impression. Is he trying to offload some black market petrol coupons?

I was thinking there was a definite look of Pvt Walker about him. Great collection of pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uZ9NVgq4J8

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
Re: 28mm late war British & German
« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2019, 08:16:27 AM »
Picked up some more packs of Volksgrenadiers @ Salute.

Still a fair amount to do:

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2019, 02:54:49 PM »
They do look nice!  :D
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline .:Gunslinger:.

• Scientist
« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2019, 10:07:51 PM »
Fantastic painting! I love the camo!