Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 03:47:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694510
  • Total Topics: 118611
  • Online Today: 570
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm late war British & Germans  (Read 139893 times)

Offline Rickf

• Librarian
Re: 28mm late war British & Germans
« Reply #675 on: September 09, 2023, 08:05:38 PM »
Mine arrived today mate, I might just stare at the box for a few weeks before putting it off for a few weeks more lol

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #676 on: September 10, 2023, 07:57:36 AM »
Mine arrived today mate, I might just stare at the box for a few weeks before putting it off for a few weeks more lol

Did you go Full Monty?

Offline Rickf

• Librarian
« Reply #677 on: September 10, 2023, 08:37:11 AM »
No, just a Platoons worth. I've already got gazillions of Brit Paras, this was just pure indulgence :) (not saying I won't get any more though lol)

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #678 on: September 10, 2023, 02:05:46 PM »
Here's what I have awaiting some TLC

Bought an extra set of the 6 pounder crew, to mix & match with the mortar team to make up another mortar.
Going to try to make a scenic base that looks like they're 'dug in' to a ditch, or something like that.
Was thinking of giving the Vickers team the urban treatment...

Remaining troops, there's a missing add on pack en route, so four more blokes with rifles.

Then this beast; going for one of those large bases, with the lift out 25mm base inserts for the crew.
There's one part AWOL that should hold it all together, will hopefully arrive with the missing troops.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 08:34:28 AM by Ash »

Offline Rickf

• Librarian
« Reply #679 on: September 10, 2023, 03:02:02 PM »
That 17pdr will be gorgeous. I know what you mean about doing a good dug in base, the problem I can see is that the ground round Arnhem is so sandy, so all the trenches and gun pits were really deep due to easy digging. That famous photo of the Borderers 3" deserves a decent attempt at it.

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #680 on: September 10, 2023, 04:51:42 PM »
These are some of the pictures I have.

This one of the 6 pounder must have been the inspiration for the crew figures

For the mortar, if I build up the banks/dug in edges, you'd never see the models, so may just try something less than half the depth to just give the idea... 'ish

Offline M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #681 on: September 10, 2023, 06:19:02 PM »
Looking so good! :-*. I need a step by step of putting the jeep together and the 6 pounders 🤦🏼‍♂️

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #682 on: September 10, 2023, 09:41:43 PM »
Looking so good! :-*. I need a step by step of putting the jeep together and the 6 pounders 🤦🏼‍♂️

The jeep is pretty straight forward; four of the wheels have a slot on the back that fits onto the 'axle' parts cast into the body of the jeep.
The exhaust piece sits under the right side front seat, with the tail pipe about inline with the edge of the rear wheel arch.
The front seats fit into the slots provided. Rear seat back panel just fits into the back, up against the inside rear of the jeep.
Front bumper lines up with the chassis (might be worth drilling some holes and pinning). You can mount the spare wheel to the inside of the front bumper.
Gear shift fits into the hole provided.
Steering wheel either shoehorns into the divers hands, if using the crew figures, the column has a little post on top that fits into a hole in the centre of the wheel.
The steering wheel column fits into a slot in the drivers side foot well.
You can mount the shovel to the body work on the drivers side, and the tandem towing attachment to the rear, either side of the tow hook that fits into the hole in the rear of the jeep.
If using the windscreen you'll need to drill a small hole on either side, just behind the line that represents the bonnet and above the line of the side body work.
Then fit the pins on the windshield into the holes. Or just cut off the pins and glue the windshield to the jeep.

Think that's about it; add crew and stowage to taste...

The airborne 6 pounder I think goes together like the standard 6 pounder; the peg on the bottom of the gun barrel part fits through a ring on each of the gun carriage 'legs', and into the part with the axle.
The wheels fit onto either side of the axle part.
The front gun shield (with the towing eye) will attach to the front of the axle part, the main gun shield will attach over the gun barrel (barrel goes through the hole in the shield).
Then the three little bits on the separate sprue are the Y shaped piece that attaches to the left side of the breach, the elevating gear fits over the end of that piece with the wheel pointing to the side, then the last piece is the sight.
I drilled a hole for it to fit into, then glued where it touched the elevating gear.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 06:42:41 AM by Ash »

Offline M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #683 on: September 11, 2023, 05:34:25 PM »
Thank you so much! I'll be very busy this weekend! 4 jeeps and 3 guns  ;D

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #684 on: September 11, 2023, 06:56:19 PM »
No probs, happy to help.

My missing parts arrived today, got the 6 pounder glued up, drilled out the lifting points on the carriage legs, and then went straight through into finger.
So, blood sacrifice now made, hopefully the painting will turn out ok....

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #685 on: September 13, 2023, 12:00:15 AM »
still waiting for my batch.  Patience ain't one of my strong suits, but I'm trying... 8)
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #686 on: September 15, 2023, 07:09:31 PM »
You wont be disappointed, this lot is definitely worth the wait...

Offline Eclaireur

• Scientist
« Reply #687 on: September 16, 2023, 12:46:11 PM »
Great work Ash - would be interested to know BTW if you've bought any of the RKX Canadian range, which dovetail neatly with the earlier Empress late war Brits.

Concerning the Paul Hicks Arnhem range ...
This one of the 6 pounder must have been the inspiration for the crew figures

Can confirm that I brought this pic to Paul's attention when he was sculpting the range. He wanted them only to carry very light equipment, being intended for the Cauldron rather than Day 1 of Op Market Garden. I encouraged him not to go too far in the direction of discarding it all, pointing out to him that the 6 pdr pic was taken several days into the Op, with evidence of webbing still being worn. There are some others showing that too.
I think the end result is excellent,
EC 

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #688 on: September 17, 2023, 12:17:39 PM »
Well played all round then, as they really look the part.

Anyone know what shade of green a British 6 pounder should be?

I did see the RKX range when the pictures were on FB, and thought the models looked very good. I unfortunately have no 3D printing capability.
Nice as the models are, for me, it was the fantastic paint jobs and the basing that really had that 'wow' factor.

Offline Eclaireur

• Scientist
« Reply #689 on: September 18, 2023, 11:04:33 PM »
yes, you've posed them up very nicely! There's some places where you can buy the RKX guys printed. I bought a box of Volksgenadiers at a show but haven't painted them yet. The scaling is pretty similar to Empress. The faces look a bit poorly defined. But the online pics of the Canadians look better,
EC