Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:12:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690474
  • Total Topics: 118333
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Chechen War Minis by "Ratnik"?  (Read 2532 times)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Chechen War Minis by "Ratnik"?
« on: February 14, 2019, 05:51:26 PM »
All,
      I've seen these mentioned, and even seen photos of them.  But when I try to locate the actual website, I come up dry.  Since these are exactly the same style and design as the Lead Adventure PA minis, I'd love ot grab some.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Chechen War Minis by "Ratnik"?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 06:13:08 PM »
These guys?

http://minionsale.narod.ru/ratnik.html

Those are older sculpts by Igor Karpov. Nowadays he's sculpted dozens of modern Chechen and Russian figures for the Tiny Terrain Models Kickstarters, which are of better quality (unless you're into the chunkier look). He's also done a few modern ranges for War Banner: Modern which could be suitable, along with Warhansa (though those are more "action movie" in their poses and gear).

https://www.tinyterrainmodels.co.uk/

https://www.kingshobbiesandgames.com/Special-Artizan-Service-Miniatures-s/170.htm

http://www.warhansa.com/index.php/katalog/sci_fi1435327910.html

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 06:15:33 PM »
Bit bigger and chunkier than the LAF minis - he must have made them what? 5 years earlier and although the style is instantly recognisable there wasn't the refinement of his later sculpts.

I got some during the short-lived UK distribution

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 07:13:11 PM »
Hmmn, I had the impression that the Tiny Terrain figures were a fairly recent kickstarter.  I would think they'd match the LA figures exactly.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 10:50:56 PM »
Which figures are you refering to in your original post Nick? Igor Karpov has sculpted two lines of Chechen Wars figures. One which as Dags says was earlier than his work with Lead Adventure, and then two sets over the last year or so with Tiny Terrain Models.

The Ratnik line is the one I linked initially. They have larger proprtions, besides being downright fat, and wouldn't tend to be suitable for 28mm wargaming unless you're using lines like The Assault Group, and even then, they're more like out of shape soldiers at best (which I wouldn't rule out as their intention).

The newer stuff from the Chechen Wars Kickstarters are more realistic, though still tend to be a bit off compared to say Paul Hick's work for Empress or Under Fire Miniatures. They'd work with the Lead Adventure Post Apocalyptic range (there's a thread in the PA board showing off the Warbanner: Modern Ukrainians with that range), although the guns are smaller. Those are available on Tiny Terrain Model's website (at least the first Kickstarter is, the second may not be up yet as its just been fulfilled).

If it is the Ratnik figures you want then they appear to be available here:

http://toyarmies.com/catalog/11

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 11:44:26 PM »
I like Igor's style, so I'd be interested in whichever group of figures would match up best with the Lead Adventure PA figures.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 01:45:22 AM »
This thread has the PA figures and Warbanner: Modern's Ukrainian figures.

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=108166.30

The PA stuff is Igor's earlier work, so chunker than his newer ranges. If you're looking for Post-Apocalyptic figures then check out Warhansa's stuff.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 01:57:24 AM »
Warhansa seems to have a very limited and offbeat range.  The Lead Adventure minis are probably my favorites for the PA genre.  I tend to be a bit anal about mixing different looking figures, so I expect I will just have to stick with the Lead Adventure range and nothing else.

Offline Nimrod

• Scientist
    • Слишком много ножей
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 05:57:26 PM »
Older Ratnik Chechen Wars minis mixes very well with his PostApoc range but sadly they are almost impossible to find nowadays. :(

Newer Chechen Wars minis are not fit very well with PA Range IMHO.
Personally I've ended converting some of the LAM PA minis to get much needed variety of characters for my stalker games.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 06:04:13 PM »
Nimrod, that is what I will likely do as well.  Did you f8nd removing the heads a problem?

Offline Nimrod

• Scientist
    • Слишком много ножей
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 06:40:06 PM »
Nimrod, that is what I will likely do as well.  Did you f8nd removing the heads a problem?
In my case it was not a problem at all. :)
I have a good amount of original Ratnik's resin minis and cutting them is pretty easy thing to do.  I actually intent on replacing all of my resins with LAM metals over time and convert all resin ones with assortment of replacement heads and weapon arms.
In case of metal LAM figures cutting them was easy for me too because I have modelling electrical drill which with a proper nozzle makes cutting minis a very easy task to do.

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 12:36:28 AM »
What should I search for if I want to find Ratnik's older Chechen sculpts?