Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:23:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689308
  • Total Topics: 118272
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warhammer Quest Monster project - Updated 30.12.23  (Read 35385 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Warhammer Quest - The Call of Fortune
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2019, 06:42:01 PM »
Yep, this is just the best.  If I still had my WHQ stuff or could reasonably find a full set (or had the balls to make one!) I'd probably play it over any other dungeon game.

The mechanics are decent (if a bit dated), but it was the 160+ page role-play book which gave the game so much depth and interest.  Also they were smart to have such immense encounter tables which included units from almost the entire Fantasy range at the time.

It had serious legs.  You won't be seeing people desperately playing the rather-scant new boxed versions in 20 years time, I assure you. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 187
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2019, 04:09:02 AM »
Can't believe I missed this thread!

It's amazing!  :-* :-* :-*

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2019, 04:23:12 AM »
Yep, this is just the best.  If I still had my WHQ stuff or could reasonably find a full set (or had the balls to make one!) I'd probably play it over any other dungeon game.

The mechanics are decent (if a bit dated), but it was the 160+ page role-play book which gave the game so much depth and interest.  Also they were smart to have such immense encounter tables which included units from almost the entire Fantasy range at the time.

It had serious legs.  You won't be seeing people desperately playing the rather-scant new boxed versions in 20 years time, I assure you.
I picked up a cheapish set. My son loves it.

Offline chema1986

• Scientist
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2019, 09:21:58 AM »
gorgeous!!

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2019, 10:05:36 PM »
Great thread, great work. I’ve managed to hold onto my copy of quest over the years. Envy of the club, I was, especially as I’ve still got all of the character books too!

Offline RustyT

• Bookworm
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2019, 11:58:13 PM »
Apologies for the lack of replies, I started a new job and it took me away from the hobby for a short while. All good now.

Wow! I’m deeply impressed. That room is simply marvelous! And the ogre is also stunning.

Concerning the slightly off-topic discussion: for me WHQ is an all-time fave because I played it like crazy when I was younger and then played the app like crzay and currently play the 2nd app on my iPad like crzay... so maybe I’m a fanboy. lol
But what I really liked was that it captured the feeling of old school roleplaying without all this fancyschmancy stuff many modern dungeon crawlers bring. It’s you and your buddies against the monsters...depressingly outnumbered.

It really did capture everything good about roleplaying.

This project started in spirit the day GW destroyed the old world, I just couldn't leave that behind, it really was too much a part of our gaming groups history and I needed to maintain that link.

Very nice work!  8) :-* 8)

Thanks very much :D

Everything's looking splendid. That ogre you posted above is a treat!
it ended up being really fun to paint, which was a surprise!

hahaha, my thoughts exactly, AoS lore is a bemusing jumble of ideas, not even in the same league as classic quest.

Can't believe I missed this thread!

It's amazing!  :-* :-* :-*

Thanks very much, sorry for the lack of reply and updates, this project is far from over so feel free to keep an eye out

Great thread, great work. I’ve managed to hold onto my copy of quest over the years. Envy of the club, I was, especially as I’ve still got all of the character books too!

Really is a great fun game, played at the weekend and haven't laughed so much in ages.

gorgeous!!
Just call me Rusty, but appreciate the compliment  :D

Offline RustyT

• Bookworm
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2019, 12:06:32 AM »
Gorguts Lair completed, only a handful of objective rooms to build and paint now.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 09:32:10 AM by RustyT »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2019, 02:16:22 AM »
Superb.  Jealous.

Offline RustyT

• Bookworm
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2019, 04:38:48 AM »
Superb.  Jealous.

Love the dungeon crawler work you're doing on your blog, that giant gribbly is great, and nice touch  with the clear bases too.

Offline batu

• Scientist
    • My Stuff:
Re: Warhammer Quest - The Call of Fortune 29/07/19
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2019, 10:52:35 AM »
Impressiv stuff. I like your painting style a lot. Very original. Overall fantastic project. Can we see a group pic?

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2019, 01:49:42 PM »
beautifully done...
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2019, 03:26:56 PM »
Truly a labor of love.  Amazing.

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2019, 08:40:21 PM »
Fantastic project  :-* :-* :-* I would love to do something like this myself one day  ;)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2019, 10:59:04 PM »
Oh, yeah, after complimenting I forgot to join the chorus - SHOW US ASSEMBLED DUNGEONS :D

Do you have the original doors or are you going to build or buy some?  Plenty of vendors out there with reasonable stand-ins.

Offline RustyT

• Bookworm
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2019, 05:06:36 AM »
Impressiv stuff. I like your painting style a lot. Very original. Overall fantastic project. Can we see a group pic?

Thanks very much, I think it's taken on a bit of a cell shaded look as the project has progressed. Now I'm not a fan of that particular art style, but I am really happy with how these have turned out. Go figure, must be nostalgia :?

beautifully done...
thanks very much!

Truly a labor of love.  Amazing.

Mentioned it before, but this is sort of an ode to the old world, almost a way to memorialise it for our gaming group.

Fantastic project  :-* :-* :-* I would love to do something like this myself one day  ;)
been good fun, not setting strict time scales helped with this. Been going for years now.

Oh, yeah, after complimenting I forgot to join the chorus - SHOW US ASSEMBLED DUNGEONS :D

Do you have the original doors or are you going to build or buy some?  Plenty of vendors out there with reasonable stand-ins.

Haha, I've uploaded a couple here now, but I've got a group of four players and myself GM'ing now meeting once a month so I'll upload some more following our next game on 17th August.

Doors I've got plenty, some secret weapon, some zealot miniatures and new arrivals from shed games.

I've also built a small diorama for taking photos, the tiles can be swapped which should be fun for the occasional photo shoot.

For anyone interested the gigantic spiders are a genus called Monocentropus Balfouri, they are communal spiders and will hunt in packs, I just loved the idea of these monstrosities stalking through the dungeons after unwary adventurers.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 05:21:17 AM by RustyT »