Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:22:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690587
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Very British Civil War in Pembrokeshire: Armour of the Fish Guards  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
Another report from Huw Puw, roving reporter for the Fish Guardian, who this week is reviewing the armoured might of the Fish Guards:

http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/2019/02/15/a-very-british-civil-war-in-pembrokeshire-1938-armour-of-the-fish-guards/

Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: A Very British Civil War in Pembrokeshire: Armour of the Fish Guards
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 04:43:02 AM »
That’s a rarebit of kit that is! They should have the opposition on toast.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 10:15:32 AM »
Indeed!  I think the appropriate response, when taking credit for other people's work is;

Glad you like it, boys!

Amicalement.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 02:22:46 PM »
Be careful! The chap in question is a trained Federal Police sniper personally responsible for the sinking of the Sheffield and the total destruction of the Montoneros. ;)

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 02:29:16 PM »
Be careful! The chap in question is a trained Federal Police sniper personally responsible for the sinking of the Sheffield and the total destruction of the Montoneros. ;)
lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 02:51:27 PM »
Ah! Do I detect another unbeliever? Strange how the chap doesn’t appear in the official and quite comprehenive Argentine MoD’s list of all who served in ‘Las Malvinas’. Far be it for me to suggest he’s a Walt but you know what they say about ducks.  ;)

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 04:39:24 PM »
Ah! Do I detect another unbeliever? Strange how the chap doesn’t appear in the official and quite comprehenive Argentine MoD’s list of all who served in ‘Las Malvinas’. Far be it for me to suggest he’s a Walt but you know what they say about ducks.  ;)
Yes, that was my thought.  Some years ago I accepted information he gave me in good faith and gave him a credit in something I wrote.  However, as you say, evidence has come to light that his credentials don't stack up, so I removed the credit.  As it happens, his information regarding Argentine infantry regiment organisation proved to be accurate and conformed with more recently-translated Argentine sources, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the information came from his own personal experience - he could simply have had access to those sources before they were translated.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 09:32:19 PM »
Argentina had universal military service. There is a better than fair chance that if he is indeed an argentino, as opposed to Bill Armintrout dressed in a different wig to the one he uses when he’s being an assistant editor, then he might have retained any organisational idiosyncracies in his bonce. Of course having served as a conscript is a different proposition to having served in the Falklands. It was a fairly narrow class of men who were called up at the time and a even narrower group who were sent with the regiments deployed.

Far too many things just don’t stack up and never did, almost from the start. His timeline, his fantastical pre-Falkland career as law student and police marksman etc. I have travelled to Buenos Aires on numerous occasions. Fantastic military museum if you ever get the chance. Some years ago I happened to be in town and invited him to catch up for a coffee. He made some remark about going to Colombia. By curious coincidence, so was I in fact I was on my way to a month’s sojourn there. I remarked on the fact. In the twinkling of an eye that thread disappeared.

Make of that what you will.

Anyway apols for the thread hijack, back to normal programming riffing on the cultural tropes of my forebears.  :D

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 09:41:37 PM »
Where are the 'Like' buttons...?  ;)