Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:59:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone playing Oak and Iron?  (Read 2848 times)

Andrew_McGuire

Re: Anyone playing Oak and Iron?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 03:14:16 PM »
Thanks for that.

P.S. Yards, mizzen, templates...no wonder I gave up reading the biography of Nelson after two chapters.

Offline Jan

• Bookworm
  • English isn't my first language. Forgive me. ;)
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2020, 10:52:58 PM »
Ahoy,

I managed to shoot some pictures of my new Oak & Iron table and my first four ships for some first little 20 P. games (maybe soon?!). I just played a little solo game for testing. Very promising. The rules were the reason i fell in love with this game late 2018. Now i can play it myself finally!

I like the look of the game very much. 
It is my first historical Wargame and yes, there are more detailed (stunning) ship miniatures out there, but the simplicity of these O&I Miniatures pulled me in (would not like to do rigging). Besides of that the rules seem to be very good as i mentioned above.

Want to find players in Berlin (Germany; you don't need anything to play), but actually it's a bit difficult.

Painting them was a good experience overall and i had a reason to built islands. Yes please!

Just for flair... or cheaters...

And it brought me to read very much about the Age of Sail (ok, many novels).

Here you can find my original post, but in german:
https://www.tabletopwelt.de/index.php?/topic/139477-jans-sammelthema-nov-2020-oak-iron-erster-eintrag-ins-logbuch/&do=findComment&comment=5280074

I know a guy, who painted all of his ships in one evening with contrasts, so yes, it is accessible:

Cheers,
Jan
X-Wing | Oak & Iron | Old West & Sci-Fi Skirmish (WiP)

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2020, 11:06:20 PM »
I moved from Berlin to Hamburg a few years ago, so unfortunately I can't offer being interested in a demo game.

I still wanted to congratulate you on your fabulous looking ships and table and stuff! This is how I like to approach my games as well - a storm of obsession for a particular topic.

Having recently backed the "Blood & Plunder: Raise the Black" Kickstarter from Firelock Games (the guys who made Oak & Iron) I am already knee deep in literature about pirates and the 18th Century in general (good choice there watching Black Sails)!

Godspeed to your project and I hope you find players who appreciate your passionate approach!
"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2020, 02:02:42 AM »
Hi Jan;
I saw your post and must ask...how did you paint your ships and sails??? They look absolutely fabulous!!! Any tips or tutorial assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Jan

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2020, 08:05:04 AM »
Thank you Historiker for you kind words!

"a storm of obsession for a particular topic" puts it in a nutshell, as the englisch speaking people would say, i guess (internet told me).  :)

It's unfortunate that you just moved away. If covid things get better and you visit berlin again write to me.

Favourable winds for your B&P Project, too!

+++++

Thank you Hitman!
They are my first ships, but i did paint miniatures before (28mm) and take my time for doing it. That's the whole secret. I wrote some short notes here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=123300.msg1618845#msg1618845

Cheers,
Jan

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2020, 03:37:01 PM »
You make the game look exciting, and your painting of the ships is excellent, as others have said. I'd like to hear more about how the game plays, but with inspiring images such as these it's difficult to resist.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2020, 05:34:32 AM »
Excellent work, Jan - thanks for sharing! 

-Michael

Offline Jan

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2021, 04:09:12 PM »
It happened...

After falling in love with Oak & Iron in 2018 (videoreport at MWG with Mike) and finally getting it in June 2020, finishing my table and first 4 ships in November 2020 (see post above) i got my first "2 Player Testgame" in.

CELEBRATION!

Due to Covid Shit and my little son at home, it was hard to find an opportunity.

It was a 20 Points beginnergame kind of like in the rulebook (but with formation rules) with a "Non-Wargamer" friend who likes the setting. The game went way to long, because we did not focus on one ship and are Noobs (of course), but we liked the game flow and the rules overall. I am realy happy and now have motivation to do (paint) some more ships.

PS: My buddy did not manage it to roll a sail/skull (Skill check) with 25 dice (round after round and wasting 2 fortune points with no success). Bad luck! And it did go on. His sloop had the worst crew ever!
Fully drunk landlubbers...  ;D

Greetings,
Jan

Offline Jan

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2021, 09:04:44 PM »
I finished my Ships No. 5 & 6.
The Fluyt and Galleon.
Base Set finished.

My 6 painted ships:

Hopefully i'll get the chance to play my 2nd game soon?!

Jan