Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:39:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686662
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Aztec army  (Read 29811 times)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Re: Aztec army
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2019, 05:42:58 PM »
I have about 100 hours of Mayan documentaries and academic talks in a YT playlist if you're interested, very little on the military though.  ???

Offline Huron34

• Scientist
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2019, 07:48:19 PM »
One captive warrior or the first rank on the noble novicespath to greatness

Offline Huron34

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2019, 07:53:37 PM »
My first  "Eagle" Warrior, (not warrior with eagle outfit)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2019, 10:32:03 PM »
This thread is tempting me to start a new army. Just have to work out scale/ruleset!
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Huron34

• Scientist
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2019, 06:10:26 PM »
Sorry about that, but I'can't help you, I don't play.

I try to put in the form of existing figurines works or codex ..... just simply (realy not simply)!!!!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2019, 09:30:06 AM »
That's okay - will be either 15mm (ADLG or DBA or both) or 28mm (Tribal).

Or all of the above.  ::)

Offline cdm

• Scientist
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2019, 11:01:46 AM »
Nice work again :) Is the crackling fire banner from the Outpost Wargames banner set? Back when I was still buying minis I intended to get their range as it had some great figures in it not made by anyone else.

I did miss mentioning to you the sandals. While generally we imagine the white/red as shown in most images, for super noble warriors they could be all red, or even partly metallic gold. Also of wolf, jagaur/ocelot, or rabbit fur, or embroidered in some pattern or other. My notes also have the tlatoani level with blue shoes, but I didn't note which source material that came from.

VL, I didn't find any rules I thought were nice either for large scale warfare, not that I tried exhaustively. Anything with a skirmish battle line with a hero attached should do. I think WAB is reasonably ok for doing a token job of it, keeping things in check to remove gaminess like unrealistic depth bonuses, and the tomfoolery of a unit of 1 captive, 2 captive etc warriors, or a sling unit vs a bow unit, vs a sword unit. I always thought something that tried to reproduce a mythic Irish/celtic battle line would do a reasonably good game, along with the use of informal groupings such that veterans and novices could be mixed (think converged Nap grenadier battalions vs unit with a grenadier company), and the use of some deception modes.

There are some rule sets around for small scale north American inter tribal indian fights, which I think should recreate small scale central American warfare just as well. That should give you the options for regular combat, counting coup (striping) and taking captives either in combat or in rout, and enough narrative options to give victory without winning a particular fight. i.e. provoking fights by attacking farmers, or merchants, with a threat of reinforcements giving a timed game for example.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2019, 12:19:20 PM »
Thanks - that's why I'm leaning towards Tribal with its Honour mechanic. That, and I'm a Eureka fanboy, so their 28mm ranges are enticing.

Offline Huron34

• Scientist
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2019, 09:17:37 PM »
Yes, CDM, this is the crackling fire banner from Outpost wargames.
Not all banners exist, but they can be made in the same way as the aztecs (papier mâché, yes)!

But a series of figurine is missing, at the creators  of figurines :
Great warriors and nobles with an "ehuatl"..... it's hard to me , create this costume style!
If Eureka could create this costume style?!

I try to create different Patzactli, because for me , there are at least 3 possible versions;

That's all for the moment

Offline Huron34

• Scientist
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2019, 05:12:32 PM »
Good evening,
This is one Otomi warrior of Tenochtitlan (codex Mendoza):
Xopolli banner
Rectangular blue labret
Style face painting
Style Hair

Offline Huron34

• Scientist
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2019, 05:18:13 PM »
And this is an Otomi Warrior of Tlatelolco (codex Florentin)

This warrior is shonw with 2 different banners and one with cotton armour.
But, I don't have information for the colours of his outfit and banner!
Would have you informations or idea?

For me this suit is green. Look number of outfit in green in the codex Mendoza.

Offline cdm

• Scientist
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2019, 11:34:01 AM »
Are you referring to Tzilacatzin from Book 12?

The original images for Book 12 are mostly only reproduced in black and white, though a couple are in colour. The rest of the books are fortunately reproduced in full colour. The text also says he wore disguises of varying kinds to try and be less conspicuous to untrained eyes (I'm not quite sure I buy that story angle, but that's what it says), and which the various images are showing. I'm not sure the back banner he is wearing is a Quaxalotl at all, but to my eye a Tlecocomoctli, further clued by the text also referring to the double eagle hair pendants, the third image in the series (and possibly the one you might think is a back banner) but appears to be a temilotl with 2 hanging eagle feather bundles) which all have the same religious connotations relating to captives and fire.

The figure you are referring to with the Quaxalotl isn't Tzilacatzin, and unless something outrageously taboo is going on, an ordinary otomi or cuauchiqueh could never wear such a banner. The figure is either the huehue tlacatecatl (I think Atlixcatzin was dead by the time of this image?, so that would make it ???), or the Tenoch installed Tlatelolcan military governor, the tlacatecatl Totozacatzin, or Temilotzin by this time?). If it's the huehue tlacatecatl, it'll be the red outfit shown in Mendoza of the 4 senior military lords.) Sorry I'm a bit vague on this, I haven't pieced which lord is alive in exactly which time period myself.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 11:54:21 AM by cdm »

Offline Huron34

• Scientist
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2019, 11:08:56 PM »
Perhaps, but this hairstyle looks like a warriior Otomi (first warrior)?

Offline Huron34

• Scientist
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2019, 11:19:55 PM »
And the Otomi warrior, and his banners, Tlecocomoctli, but the form his different, like this;

What outfit the first warrior Otomi wears? Ehuatl?

It's possible for Tlacatecatl  with Quaxalotl banner, cut this hair short (Siege of Tenochtitlan). But long hair at the back, and short on the side.....

Offline Huron34

• Scientist
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2019, 11:21:59 PM »
For the book, I have a very bad version. If you have a spanish version, I read and speak spanish!