Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:38:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Aztec army  (Read 29771 times)

Offline Huron34

• Scientist
Re: Aztec army
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2019, 06:14:01 PM »
And eagle warrior, with Patzactli banner

Offline cdm

• Scientist
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2019, 03:11:31 AM »
You've done some customising :) Good job.

Offline Huron34

• Scientist
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2019, 05:55:09 PM »
Thank's for all.

The fire coyotl are good proportions, but the Cacal Patzactli is too flat!

It's hard enough to find the right proportions.

Offline cdm

• Scientist
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2019, 11:10:55 AM »
From memory, the patzactli back banners are based on a frame described as a basket, and are generally applicable to Tlatelolcan warriors only aside from of course where they originally came from in Ayotlan. If you're stuck for proportions, use the quaxalotl frame as a guide if you're happy with the size of that. How big are the feathered fringes? Great question. For the quetzalpatzactlis, the outer fringe is made of the long tail feathers of the quetzal trogon, which are upto 1m long. Refer for example the sheer size of this fringe on the banner in the Vienna museum, which probably accurately could be described as the quetzalpatzactli head banner version. Note this head banner is laid out flat, I don't think that's how it was actually worn.

For the other patzactlis, the long outer fringe is likely going to be based on the long tail feathers of the applicable bird i.e. crow, scarlet macaw etc. and therefore much shorter than the quetzal version. For the cacal version, the red feathers may be from the wings of the roseate spoonbill rather than the macaw, but I'd not bat an eye at either version of colour, pure red certainly looks sexier than a washed out pink.

I think we had vaguely discussed an option that the head banner version of the patzactli and the Aztec artistic style of it may be deduced to look a lot like the standard north american eagle headdress we are familiar with from cowboy movies. Certainly some of the images in say Duran really look like this, whereas in say Mendoza it looks a little different. Sahagun's plate 80 from Book 9 is certainly very, hmm, reminiscent of a war bonnet laid out flat being worked on.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 01:47:32 PM by cdm »

Offline Huron34

• Scientist
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2019, 06:38:56 PM »
Good evening has all,

A question for the wargamers.  Is it possible to know the size difference between the different brands that make aztec figurines:

Eureka Miniatures

Wargame foundry miniature

Old gringo 40'S

etc..

Thank you in advance

Offline Huron34

• Scientist
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2019, 07:04:41 PM »
Here are two warlords of Xochimilco,, the colors theme is respected, and the suit possible.

The Lienzo of Tlaxcala shows two haircuts belonging to Xochimilco:
Simple peasant, a haircut like in Mexicas peasant, Noble, hair high up on the front and ponytail behind.

1 , Cuextecatl

Offline Huron34

• Scientist
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2019, 07:07:36 PM »
2, Huaxolotlpantli (turkey-cok standard)

Offline Huron34

• Scientist
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2019, 07:16:24 PM »
Another warlord of Xochimilco (outfit always in black and red distinctive), a black jaguar!
It seems very plausible to me. Black jaguar exist (yes it's rare, but exist).
The shield comes from "Codex Primeros Memoriales", it's a Ocelotetepoyo chimalli.

Offline Huron34

• Scientist
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2019, 04:07:17 PM »
Mexicas Tlatoani (ruler) suit:

Yellow xolotl head, of yellow parrot feathers, with balls of quetzal feathers, was ornemented with gold. With it belonged a shirt of yellow parrot feathers with hawk scratch decoration in gold.

Schimalli: xicalcoliuhqui, like codex mendoza for Tlacatecatl.

Offline Huron34

• Scientist
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2019, 04:10:18 PM »
Tlatoani (ruler) suits, for Mexicas:

The quetzal feather butterfly was the burden for the back, with it belonged the yellox parrot feather shirt decorated with hawk scratches in gold. The shield with a golden butterfly in the middle. There was a quetzal feather claw with gold. The shirt was of yellow parrot feathers

This my version:

But second option for the chimalli:

Gold disc with in its centre of the quetzal feathers and over the butterfly in solid gold.
Ruler, with quetzal feathers earring, quetzal feathers skirt

Offline Huron34

• Scientist
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2019, 06:34:37 PM »
Here is my version of the quetzaltecolot costume.

Miss the shield. I need the pattern of Ahuitzotl's shield, and of course paint the whole thing

Offline Huron34

• Scientist
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2019, 06:20:58 PM »
Bird outfit:

When I wanted to paint Quetzaltecolot in green, CDM, told me it was very impossible. And he's right.

I remenbered a discussion on the internet, about 10 years ago. It was a pisture of Tenochtitlan's fall.
On the lake, on could see several canoes. On a canoe, you could see two warriors in bird suit, red and yellow.

A surfer said : "hooray, we can see that eagle warriors could be in color suit.
A said historian: " No, birdcostumes are made of natural feathers. Eagle in brown feather, red and yellow are warrior in parrot suits".

I think that is true. So for nobles, it is possible to find outfits of birds, eagle, parrot, owl, duck, etc.. but with feathers of natural colors!

Good paint ;)

Offline archiduque

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2019, 03:20:44 PM »
Excellent stuff!!! ;)

Offline Huron34

• Scientist
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2019, 05:11:55 PM »
Thanks for everything Archiduque

Offline Huron34

• Scientist
« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2019, 05:21:19 PM »
It's time to talk about The Lienzo of Tlaxcala:
Here were 2 coyotls warriors. They represent great lord or a great warriors.

One Huexotzinga,  in yellow,
One Tlaxcaltec, in white. I chose white and red to make up a portion of my Tlaxcaltec army.

The Lienzo answers many questions, but asks as many.

To start, colors and materials:

The yellow is omnipresent. But I think that most of the outfits presented, can be of all colors!
The light orange color, is orange or brown (it depends on the copy)?
Small circle-shaped spot are feathers, or do they represent ocelotl skins?

That's all for the moment