Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:59:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Might have accidentailly started on a A1E1 Independent (1/56)  (Read 10363 times)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Might have accidentailly started on a A1E1 Independent (1/56)
« on: February 19, 2019, 08:12:47 AM »
I should have been finishing the E-50/E-75 but decided to have a quick look at the A1E1 Vickers Independent... and accidents happen... 

I had a search and didn't come up with any... Of course now I know the Copplestone make one!  Never mind.  Mine will have better tracks (My pet peeve on minis) and match the Bovinton one (differnet to the drawings and the Copplestone one around the drive sprocket)

Hull structure is drawn, turrets next.

No pics yet but I'll get some tonight.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Might have accidentailly started on a A1E1 Independent (1/56)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 09:21:59 AM »
At the school where I work they would call you, 'An Independent learner'.
I wish you well & look forward to the pictures.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 10:11:22 AM »
The project magpie is a flightly thing...  ooh shiney! lol

Oh and Empress make one too, the old HLBS Co one.  (Still rubbish tracks though....)

Both the copplestone and Empress versions haev the wrong back end too...  not that anyone else would notice but I've been counting rivets (Literally) and this one has loads...

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 10:18:28 AM »
FWIW the Independent had it's back-end redesigned after trials.
Track length was too long for width and early on they found the rear-end literally pulling itself apart. I think that probably explains variations at the back.

Looking forward to seeing this (Keith from Empress and fan of all things rivety ;-) )
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 12:08:56 PM »
Interesting info - thanks!

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 06:57:36 PM »
For personal use, or would you be sending it off to be cast by someone? Ah, perhaps for a Very British Civil War style setting. :)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 08:48:13 PM »
Keith and Rich your both right to a point the 1926 prototype had a different assembly which was short lived.The whole thing was tweaked and buggered around with until the mid thirties(pretty much finished with by 33 )
The Empress one has a stylized(not an accurate) version of this assembly. Personally I'm quite happy to have artistic license in vehicles( use it myself) If I were making one I'd go for the spoked wheel as it just seems more in keeping with the almost Heath Robinson feel of interwar design's.
I have to admit I'm not a big fan of models of prototype vehicles especially when the vehicles they influenced are in production in the same period. But the International is the exception as its back story has such potential for gaming . Espionage and traitors what more do you need for VBCW.
So looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Mark.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 10:48:12 PM »
I have no solid plans for it, it's more a bit of fun.  Toying with VBCW stuff potentially. 
If it works out OK then I could maybe be persuaded to print off a spare ;)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 12:01:19 AM »
Basic structure and undercarriage

Offline Maddoc

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 12:50:18 PM »
It'd be rude NOT to do some VBCW as you also have some nice British/London streets done...  lol

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 02:17:23 PM »
Rich,
Just an observation. The side hatch is recessed not proud.Now I don't know if it wasn't at some point during its life. But both the image's on the factory floor,the 1926 trials,and the current museum colour pictures. All show the hatch in this configuration. As it's an odd Idea for having passing an issue stretcher with a casualty on easily pass through it.
It's an oversight on the Empress version too. If you've worked off the line drawings it can look like a flat hull plate.
Thats the joy of the internet I've made a few vehicles from line drawings only to find years later that dozens of obscure photos have turned up on the web which contradict what you thought you knew and made.
I don't suppose it's a big issue or even one at all ( As I've already mentioned All for artistic license.) But I suspect you'd bugged like mad if didn't notice it and make an informed styling choice.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 02:31:42 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline Ironhead

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 02:28:59 PM »
I had a search and didn't come up with any... Of course now I know the Copplestone make one!

Funny you should write this. Only a day before you posted this I was actually contacting Copplestone about getting their tanks and was told that they were removed from production never to see the light of day again.  Kinda pissed, but they can do whatever they want with their molds:-(  Just a FYI.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 02:35:20 PM »
Just to tempt you Rich.
If you make the tankettes in the second picture .I'll make you the crew figures. ;)

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 02:48:45 PM »
@Tin Shed Gamer: Awesome - very tempting.

Yes I had spotted that hatch thanks, but not done anything about it yet!  I thought it was an oddity.  All detailed info is a bonus!  I'm quite surprised at the apparent dearth of pics of it at Bov TBH, I've found more/better pics of the Object 279!

@Ironhead - I guess the moulds are knackered and there isn't enough interest to remake them or the master is lost/damaged?

I think I'm going to publish the STL (if/when it's done!) on wargaming3d for a nominal fee.  I doubt there is enough interest to warrant productionising it and then people can buy/print/get printed as they want then.  Only limitation will be non-commercial so you can't print/sell them (Not that a license aways stops people...)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 07:00:45 PM »
I thought Copplestone sold off their tank lines to someone else and that all or most of them are still available elsewhere?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.