Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:41:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 8
Guests: 622
Total: 630

Recent

Author Topic: [Goonhammer Historicals] The Silver Bayonet Review  (Read 938 times)

Offline muggins

• Assistant
  • goonhammer.com
    • Goonhammer
[Goonhammer Historicals] The Silver Bayonet Review
« on: December 21, 2023, 08:55:55 PM »
I've had a really good time learning about this game and purchasing tons of minis and 3DP stls for it. Painting up Krampus right now to have a go with my kids this weekend. Check out our review!

https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-the-silver-bayonet-review/

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: [Goonhammer Historicals] The Silver Bayonet Review
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 10:23:07 AM »
great, well-presented review / overview.

interesting your take that it's a good gateway game for getting into 'proper' napoleonics.

I agree on the 'more' colour illustration - uniform plates would be nice, but I'd still like more evocative, larger (Double-page spreads etc), illustrations using dioramas / miniatures in these osprey books.
It is like they're faintly embarrassed by the miniatures aspect and try and down-play it.

I'd also, by this time, like a bit more elaboration on the Harvestmen aspect of the b/ground.
Haven't got the latest supplement tho' in saying that.

Offline muggins

• Assistant
  • goonhammer.com
    • Goonhammer
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 06:05:22 AM »
great, well-presented review / overview.

interesting your take that it's a good gateway game for getting into 'proper' napoleonics.

I agree on the 'more' colour illustration - uniform plates would be nice, but I'd still like more evocative, larger (Double-page spreads etc), illustrations using dioramas / miniatures in these osprey books.
It is like they're faintly embarrassed by the miniatures aspect and try and down-play it.

I'd also, by this time, like a bit more elaboration on the Harvestmen aspect of the b/ground.
Haven't got the latest supplement tho' in saying that.

Thanks! Yeah I do agree more elaboration on the Harvestmen would be awesome. How are they organized? Where do they live? etc.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 12:20:40 PM »
I guess there is the perspective that the author's leaving it deliberately sketchy for players to develop their own fluff / campaign-setting etc, more readily.

But having said that, it's a rather prescribed presentation from the get-go, being along 'nationalistic' lines.
For myself, I'd like the approach of being able to put together teams from a variety of countries, with the big-bad being clearly super-natural.
Or has that been included now? Don't remember it from the main rulebook - but maybe it was mentioned in passing.
I have the Carpathian supplement - but haven't read it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 02:04:25 PM by Bloggard »