Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:10:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (Kickstarter) Pulp Alley - Second Edition  (Read 21471 times)

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Re: (Kickstarter) Pulp Alley - Second Edition
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2019, 07:26:10 PM »
This really is exciting. The rules have come a long way - not that the old rules were weak or amateurish, just that this is even more impressive!

Offline Bessy

• Scientist
  • Namaste Mofo
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2019, 01:10:54 AM »
David posted a video with a sneak peak of the Second edition hardback book over on YouTube. Check it out...

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2019, 02:15:18 AM »
Hard back looks great- I do like a hard back rule book  ;D. Except.... "Epic Charcters" :D

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
Re: Pulp Alley - Second Edition
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2019, 07:37:58 PM »

> The “normal” way to determine a peril challenge is to draw it from the top of the deck. And we removed the rule for “extreme perils” – so there is one type of peril.

> Updated and clarified rules for Bursts. Normally, a burst takes effect and is then removed – rather than lingering until the end of the turn. In addition we clarified how bursts are placed.

As someone who routinely does 4-player games at local gaming conventions, with a large proportion of new players, I really like these two changes. Simply drawing the peril challenge off the top of the deck will really speed things up. And, though some may not like the new burst rule, I found that the lingering aspect of bursts made them over-powered and thus over-used. In one game, players were actually using them like smoke grenades to block line of sight.  o_o

And I'm excited about what else is in store for Pulp Alley aficionados. Choices still remain, however: hardcover, or softcover?  ???
I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2019, 07:43:49 PM »
As someone who routinely does 4-player games at local gaming conventions, with a large proportion of new players, I really like these two changes. Simply drawing the peril challenge off the top of the deck will really speed things up. And, though some may not like the new burst rule, I found that the lingering aspect of bursts made them over-powered and thus over-used. In one game, players were actually using them like smoke grenades to block line of sight.  o_o

And I'm excited about what else is in store for Pulp Alley aficionados. Choices still remain, however: hardcover, or softcover?  ???
Come to think of it, this actually opens up design space. In theory you could make a non-damaging burst (so, no actual area denial either) which is an exception to the new rule and which hangs around until the end of the turn, SPECIFICALLY to act like a smoke grenade. 

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline gweirda

• Librarian
    • Brawlfactory
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2019, 01:29:26 AM »
Come to think of it, this actually opens up design space. In theory you could make a non-damaging burst (so, no actual area denial either) which is an exception to the new rule and which hangs around until the end of the turn, SPECIFICALLY to act like a smoke grenade.

Agreed. I do this already by treating bursts as 'now it hurts you' (like SMG use) vs 'bat-belt smoke grenade' which lingers but causes no harm.

Offline nandrin

• Librarian
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2019, 08:52:43 AM »
We tried the new peril rule last game and found it works very well. It speeds up play and we noticed that some card effects were used that did not came into play before because the cards were aleays used as challenges, mainly the 3-success challenges. It was great fun!

Offline Psychopomp

• Librarian
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2019, 07:51:59 PM »
I've had the first edition rulebook and Pulp Leagues spiral bound for at least two years now, but never got around to wrangling a friend into trying it.  The Kickstarter made me realize I need to know if this is a game I actually want to follow up on.  So, yesterday afternoon, I printed out the solo deck and threw together a fantasy scenario.  I only had space for a 2' x 2' mat, tossed down some ruined houses and walls, and made a Company of Heroes band from the Dungeon Saga hero minis and an undead warband from my undead army.  Played Smash and Grab, with the main plot point being a treasure chest and the minor plot points being clues as to what happened to the village.  No pictures, as my fantasy terrain is in varying stages of not-complete-yet, and the board honestly looked pretty crap with all the foamcore white and xps blue.

The smaller board got things heated very quickly.  The heroes just mowed through the Gangs of skeleton warriors and archers.  One Revenant (Ally) went down, but the other managed to drag something out from under some rubble and secret it away.  The Deathknight (Leader) held off the Barbarian and Dwarf all game, even when the Elf and Wizard finally joined later in the game, so no one claimed the treasure chest before a mighty storm blew in and all combatants had to fall back from the village.  The Elf, however, did manage to brave jagged shards of glass and wood to nimbly pull a scrap of tabard out from under a ruined house.  The scrap of cloth bears a fragment of livery from the soldiers of Baron Totally Von Notavampire, so at least the heroes have a lead to go on...

Honestly, the game was a lot of fun, and I immediately went and funded at the Sidekick level.  I also used the discount code to order the PDF versions of the Solo Deck Boosters.  I think I'm going to stick to printing my own cards, as I foresee wanting to make my own custom cards down the line.  I might upgrade to the Leader level later, but I need to research the scenarios in the Scenario book to see if I need a hardcopy of it, first.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2019, 08:41:49 PM »
I've had the first edition rulebook and Pulp Leagues spiral bound for at least two years now, but never got around to wrangling a friend into trying it.  The Kickstarter made me realize I need to know if this is a game I actually want to follow up on.  So, yesterday afternoon, I printed out the solo deck and threw together a fantasy scenario.  I only had space for a 2' x 2' mat, tossed down some ruined houses and walls, and made a Company of Heroes band from the Dungeon Saga hero minis and an undead warband from my undead army.  Played Smash and Grab, with the main plot point being a treasure chest and the minor plot points being clues as to what happened to the village.  No pictures, as my fantasy terrain is in varying stages of not-complete-yet, and the board honestly looked pretty crap with all the foamcore white and xps blue.

The smaller board got things heated very quickly.  The heroes just mowed through the Gangs of skeleton warriors and archers.  One Revenant (Ally) went down, but the other managed to drag something out from under some rubble and secret it away.  The Deathknight (Leader) held off the Barbarian and Dwarf all game, even when the Elf and Wizard finally joined later in the game, so no one claimed the treasure chest before a mighty storm blew in and all combatants had to fall back from the village.  The Elf, however, did manage to brave jagged shards of glass and wood to nimbly pull a scrap of tabard out from under a ruined house.  The scrap of cloth bears a fragment of livery from the soldiers of Baron Totally Von Notavampire, so at least the heroes have a lead to go on...

Honestly, the game was a lot of fun, and I immediately went and funded at the Sidekick level.  I also used the discount code to order the PDF versions of the Solo Deck Boosters.  I think I'm going to stick to printing my own cards, as I foresee wanting to make my own custom cards down the line.  I might upgrade to the Leader level later, but I need to research the scenarios in the Scenario book to see if I need a hardcopy of it, first.

That's awesome. So glad you had fun.

We appreciate your support!

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2019, 08:47:34 PM »

Me thinks you've been thumbing through the new rulebook.

Smoke (p16) is one of the new abilities. It blocks line-of-sight but is only dangerous if you try to run through it.  ;)

Offline Alcide Nikopol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2019, 08:06:47 AM »
Counting the days. I can't wait to get the new rule book.
A.Nik-

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2019, 09:48:29 AM »
We've had a few emails and messages now asking if Sally 4th can do a Pulp Alley KS2 promo like David is doing in the US on the existing lines of books and cards and accessories, so I have set something up today, which amounts to 10-25% off Pulp Alley / Sally 4th Pulp Alley products and Classic Movie Miniatures.

We always run a 5-15% discount scheme based on amount ordered. We have added to that a Voucher code for 10% discount on Pulp Alley & Sally 4th Pulp items. The Voucher code is 'PULPALLEYKS2'. This can be entered as part off the checkout process and will take an additional 10% off qualifying items.

Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2019, 07:27:36 PM »
Me thinks you've been thumbing through the new rulebook.

Smoke (p16) is one of the new abilities. It blocks line-of-sight but is only dangerous if you try to run through it.  ;)
Ahaha!  lol

A good villain must anticipate the hero's plans!  ;D

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2019, 11:48:14 PM »
Ahaha!  lol

A good villain must anticipate the hero's plans!  ;D

Ah yes, but who is the hero?  :o lol

Offline Bessy

• Scientist
  • Namaste Mofo
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2019, 07:15:47 PM »
The Kickstarter for Pulp Alley Second Edition is going swimmingly! We still have seven days left and our expectations have been blown out of the water!!
Thanks for supporting Pulp Alley.