Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:54:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690988
  • Total Topics: 118362
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Creating Dungeon Crawl Rules  (Read 3074 times)

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
Re: Creating Dungeon Crawl Rules
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 08:12:21 AM »
Still swamped with other stuff. Sorry. I may be able to get some stuff done this week, but not right now.

That said, the stats shouldn't be too big of a deal to make.

If we would start with the "Warrior of the North" (aka Barbarian), this character would look something like this:
(Subject to change - playtesting required)

HP – 7
Move – 4
Attack – 4
Defend – 2
Shoot – 2
SPD – 4
Special - Charge: If you moved 2 or more squares this turn, you gain +1 on your Attack

"Adventurer" a.k.a. catch-all Fighter type
HP – 7
Move – 4
Attack – 3
Defend – 3
Shoot – 3
SPD – 3

"Cleric"
HP – 6
Move – 4
Attack – 3
Defend – 2
Shoot – 1
SPD – 3
Special - Heal: Once every adventurer, the Cleric can heal each party member to full health if no enemies are nearby.

And your average Goblin would be

HP – 2
Move – 4
Attack – 1
Defend – 1
Shoot – 1
SPD – n.a.

Mayhaps we need a rule for ganging up on a character... One idea can be that you can only defend once, or maybe Defend -1 for each subsequent attack endured each turn, but I don't want to create too many rules. It should remain relatively simple.

Anyways, these are just numbers. Perhaps everything needs to go up or down a notch, since these are obviusly not yet well balanced against any enemies besides the humble goblin, but it at least gives something of an idea of what I am after.

Let me know what you think.

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 11:28:53 AM »
Aside from these "Crawl" stats, I am trying to decide whether or not to add some rudimentary "role play" stats.

These would be optional, as you can easily play the game as a straight up dungeon crawl, but could still be used for people who like to envision their characters mucking about in the township.

However, I am unsure as of yet how to go about it. It should probably need the Fudge Dice as those will also be used within the crawl rules, and I don't want to create too much confusion.

Mayhaps someone has some good ideas on the subject? I do have some thoughts written down from ages ago, but they are at home and I am at work at the moment, and I can'r remember exactly what it was. I will add those ideas later.

Offline Donkeymilkman

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 06:32:33 PM »
I personally was going to add in a basic roleplay idea in any way. Just to add a bit of flavour to the game with the occasional trapt peasant etc. I generally was going to work it out on a d6 with 1 & 2 being failures 3,4 & 5 being a success and then 6 six being a great success where a bonus is added of some description. I also thought a basic gold system might be fun to upgrade weapons and characters but these are just my personal ideas. I might be able to do a playtest of the game relatively soon, if that would help.
I have nothing important to say so just keep on scrolling.

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2019, 09:44:00 AM »
Well of course playtesting will help! So by all means do! Thank you!

I previously worked on a role playing system that never took off where I had a really nice resolution mechanic for things, which was basically a simplified version of the skill checks in D&D 3.5.

Since I want to try and keep to Fudge dice, it will need some work, and I am digging through my brain trying to remember which skills I ended up using, but in essence it was the following;

Characters would have "ranks" in the following catch-all skills:
Running and Jumping
Hiding and Moving Silently
Swimming
Lockpicking and Disabling Traps

and I am pretty sure I had at least one more skill, but I have the files on a different hard drive...

Anyways, each character would have a rank, which were;
4+
6+
8+
10+

on a 2D6 roll, where 4+ was the highest rank and 10+ the lowest.

Now, if I am going to use Fudge dice, this obviously won't work, so I am currently contemplating what to do with it.

Note: Shamefully, the blog and forum for that previous RPG still exist... Last update was 2015 or something... >_< Maybe I should close the forum and revive the blog for this.

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2019, 09:50:48 PM »
Which forum?

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 11:24:50 AM »
For my previous attempt at writing a tabletop skirmish RPG. I kept a blog for it and opened a forum for discussing the rules. I might use the name, which was simply "Chronicles" for this here attempt.

There's little to find there though. The forum has like 4 members and 0 posts. The blog is just depressing in its current dead state.

I did have some really good ideas though! Really good!! :D