Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:08:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Colours for the SOC-R  (Read 1230 times)

Offline madman

• Scientist
Colours for the SOC-R
« on: March 03, 2019, 02:24:18 AM »
Yes, I have watched a few youtubes and will use them for ideas but, does anybody have the actual colour used on the SOC-Rs? I haven't analyzed any of the videos yet but they look to be three or four colours on the outside and a single (different) colour on the inside. I am not going to get anal on the exterior layout, just three or four colours in a small spotted pattern. Anyone have numbers for these? Thank you.

I better add that the colour numbers I am referring to are FS specs, NOT manufacturers paint colours, unless they are Humbrol or Model Master enamels.

Stephen
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 02:58:37 AM by madman »

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Colours for the SOC-R
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 06:27:46 AM »
There's a "look", but I wouldn't say the colours are standardised. I've seen promotional images using four colours, others with three, and even the the actual colours used fall into a breadth of shades for those base colours rather than being specific. Even whether the interior entirely has camouflage, is bare, or just the raised elements have the camo seems to vary.

So if you're looking to commit to a set paint scheme then yes, there is perhaps paints which you'd want to buy. Otherwise it looks to me like the factory's issuing a mix of vehicles with in a single colour and camo is applied on receipt, or there is a factory scheme, but even how that applies appears to vary.

Larger scale miniatures forums may be a better shout for asking about this sort of this. Ah, they tend to be a bit more focused on colour matching than wargaming types who're content to use the same GW paints for everything.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 07:09:15 AM »
You're talking about this thing?

What paint range(s) do you use?

(And who makes one of these to scale?)
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 12:30:32 PM »
That is the one. Ranges are in my original post.

Colours look like light green, very dark grey or black, dark brown, light brown (almost dark tan) and something close to primer grey. I find it interesting the colours on the underside are lighter (lit), probably light bouncing of the water, not another colour set. The only interior colour I can remember at this time is an overall greyish green, or greenish grey fairly dark.

One point is given the noise this thing must make, even traveling, why the operators are in camo is beyond me. Are they expected to leave the vessel and operate as a separate team? Stick their heads out so as to not be covered by the gun shields or what? Reading about the PACV's used in Vietnam the big thing mentioned is the hellishly loud noise they made. Stealth was never an option.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 01:38:00 PM by madman »

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 01:35:58 PM »
Oh yea. As for scale all I do is 6mm. PT dockyards is the source of these (I have 4, 2 assembled 2 I think I will leave for now) but my order finally killed the molds. He was indicating they were on their way out for some time. There are some odd things on mine which may be the molds dying. My big issue, and one I tried to address a coupe years ago, is operators. I need six standing figures operating the weapons and driving the boat. My best thought (given I use H&R infantry mostly) is standing observers supplied as gun crew. Then a little trimming and fitting. Idea would be present day US special forces which are rare in this scale (non existent) let alone standing with no weapons. I see a few guys doing "conversions" at this scale and all I can think is good on you. I am lucky if I don't cut them in two getting them off the fill sprues!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 08:24:26 PM »
I agree, you can do a lot with colour selection, etc with painting 6mm infantry.

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 01:09:02 AM »
I agree, you can do a lot with colour selection, etc with painting 6mm infantry.

Most of my stuff, at best, uses alternate colours. If I can't see the stuff well enough who will? As for the SOC-R it is going to be near enough. I have a few colours will work. As for the interior when I looked at pictures of the real thing all I saw was a boat interior covered by muddy boots. So a dark brown which should do moist mud well enough!

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 04:07:50 AM »
No replies so I rolled my own scheme based on reviews of many pictures of actual boats, as opposed to the numerous pictures of the boats from various sims.

The interior on most pics looked muddy so a dark brown overall (RAF dark earth). The pics like above indicate 4 colours, so the decks and hulls are an initial base of zinc chromate for the light green, then splotches of primer grey, dark brown (as above) and a very dark grey (I used an FS36081 which I bought decades ago for Euro One and overall dark grey schemes). On mine the initial green is still very dominant but in the pictures the additional colours give 3/4 of the finish. The dark grey is probably close to panzer grey which I also use for tires. I elected for a very dark grey as opposed to black, which the colour could also be, as I usually save black for inlets or tires on panzer grey vehicles. The gun shields were all done one colour of dark green, although on future ones I may go for camo.

All my SOC-Rs have a large lump on the starboard side adjacent to the wheel control (too small to call it a house, I guess console would be more accurate) which I believe is the mold starting to die as the opposite side is clear. In future I will try and Dremel the area out but for these two I left it and painted them khaki to indicate a tarp covering something or someone.